Common searches

Why did you join Vogons?

Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What was your first reason to join Vogons? Was it for support on any topic? Was it to promote any program you were working on? Was it for community guidance?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well that's a weird question! Personally I joined Vogons to ask a question about UNiVBE. Also I want to be part of community to help others if possible.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 39, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first comment was this:
Re: Any specific AGP cards I should keep (lower end) ?
Probably just felt an overwhelming urge to reply to that comment.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 39, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically, to interact with other people who are also interested in retro PC hardware.

It's fun trading stories from back in the day, and we sometimes even discover new things about old tech.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 39, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hehe, I've actually asked this question before, What made you join VOGONS?

I can quote myself I guess:

Back in 1999/2000 I contacted PowerLeap to ask if their PowerLeap PL-K6-III adapter would work in my old Compaq Presario. I was told by customer support that it was not a supported model. For some reason this came back to me in 2012 and I starting doing research to aquire an adapter (Powerleap or other brand) to test. While doing research I also wanted to find information on performance difference between AMD K6-2 and AMD K6-3 and other upgrade tips for my Compaq, most notable if a Pentium MMX 233 could be installed. Almost all Google searches took me to VOGONS. I was amazed by the level of knowlegde and that almost everything I needed to know had been discussed. I was a lurker for a couple of months before my first post, which was: Kingston TurboChip 233-400 possible to remove CPU?.

In the end I managed to aquire a PowerLeap PL-K6-III and it did work in my Compaq Presario! If I knew that back in 99/00 I wouldn't have bought my slot 1 machine (Celeron 433).

This snowballed into me being a regular poster and me starting to expand my collection and interest in retro hardware. Looking back this was good timing, as it was just before prices really went up and I would not have had the same collection if I started now.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 39, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got into this hobby by starting collecting old mechanical keyboards IIRC so very probably I joined to ask a question about those..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 39, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Similar to Vetz, whilst doing different Google searches for support with a Socket 7 system, I found that "....all roads lead to Vogons".
This was back in 2014 or so I believe.

Reply 7 of 39, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like many people here, I wanted to ask a question about old hardware. In my case, it was about replacing the HDD in a Fujitsu Stylistic LT tablet. I stayed around because I enjoy the forum and discussing old computers. I quit all of the major social media sites because I hate the constant negativity. If I feel like wasting some time online I come here instead. Way better than going on Twitter or Reddit.

Reply 8 of 39, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was looking for drivers for an old computer and got caught up in the Vogons forums sound cards controversy.
Eventually looking for better DOS gaming build setups and sound cards.
Fine tuning the gaming computer for best hardware and driver compatibility for gaming performance.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2023-09-07, 13:42. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 9 of 39, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I registered just to tell people they can make the sound quality better in Microsoft Fury³ and Hellbender by hex editing the hardcoded value in the EXE after I discovered where it was with Cheat Engine.

I also wanted help with making the DirectX version of Gunmetal behave properly, which involved yet another hex edit but it's not a perfect fix. I'm still patiently waiting for someone to make a better fix though.

Last edited by DracoNihil on 2023-08-29, 21:29. Edited 1 time in total.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 39, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was looking up information on a Compaq presario 4402 and found a VOGONS link and had all the answers I needed. This site and it's user base has helped me quite alot over the years and it's also nice to be part of a community like this.

Reply 11 of 39, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmm I don't remember actually... probably some hardware question just like the rest 😁
then it was a slippery slope to niche retropc things 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 39, by hard_fault

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because my family and a few coworkers have been urging me to be more social. I used to be very social. Dare I say, cool, even. Been there, done that, I'm done now.. thought I served my lifetime sentence of all that.

So... I guess I'll try to say some more stuff about the subject matter here, and see some of you all at VCFMW.

Reply 13 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly I joined in relief. I found out that other people had an obsession with Japanese midi modules, socket 3 cpu's, and dos command lines.

Reply 15 of 39, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Joined vogons because the bravenet forums for vdmsound were horrible and we needed a forum to discuss other things as well.

Last edited by Dominus on 2023-09-02, 22:44. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 39, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xanxi wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:00:

To read and learn from retro sound cards experts. At first i even thought that Vogons was all about sound cards.

I think Vogons stands for Very Old Games on New Systems, but most of the discussions are about old hardware, so the name doesn't really represent us either.

Reply 17 of 39, by NoGoodNamesLeft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:47:
Xanxi wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:00:

To read and learn from retro sound cards experts. At first i even thought that Vogons was all about sound cards.

I think Vogons stands for Very Old Games on New Systems, but most of the discussions are about old hardware, so the name doesn't really represent us either.

really? I thought it was someone who just REALLY liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I joined after lurking for several months, I did pc gaming back in the early 90s to around 2001 then life took over. I've dabbled a few times with dosbox and etc but finally started building my own system again and really digging in deep

Reply 18 of 39, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to be a forum moderator on the official 3dfx forums (as well as a beta tester for their hardware) and when I got my first XP machine had trouble getting some games to work, not to mention I wanted to keep up on the Voodoo scene.
That was 2005-2006ish and then life took over in the form of most humanoids that share 50% of my genes.
As the rugrats approach graduation I reckon I will get back into things.
I still have my Win98SE and XP machines hidden from SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) and I hope their capacitors have not blown.
Even though I have vintage hardware I hope to get most of my favorite games running on newish hardware, hence why I watch around here.

Reply 19 of 39, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason I joined Vogons was because NFS High Stakes in D3D mode would crash, also with dgVoodoo2. I waited for three years to realise it's due to a FourCC enumeration overflow.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058