Why did you join Vogons?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:26:

Joined ogons because the bravenet forums for vdmsound were horrible and we needed a forum to discuss other things as well.

I came from the Bravenet forums Uncreativelabs , dejeepbrats dongle removers, Harshbarges game forum amongst others. Got tired of irritating the Raven.

I believe I may have been banned (or possibly just lost my account) from here early on when I still primarily was on uncreativelabs and Tech Support guy forums.

Various other forums died off and I ended up here because I enjoy reading others adventures in retro computing .

Reply 21 of 39, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some reason, I'm more interested in old computers than new ones. The same is true for games (my modern desktop runs integrated graphics, if that's any indication of my level of interest in modern games), but I haven't had much interest in gaming over the past few years (which also means that my old computers don't get used).

I think my first post here was asking about some really obscure stuff I misremembered about an old laptop.

Reply 22 of 39, by TuesdaysGone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found my way here after searching onine for info on P III's and the rest as they say is history. Really enjoy Vogons and all of the info on retro stuff that it's great community provides.

Best wishes,

Tony.

ASUS P2B-F 440BX BIOS Rev. 1014 Beta 003
Intel "Katmai" Pentium III 450Mhz
256MB, 80GB, Epson SD-800 Combo FD, Voodoo Banshee 16MB, SB Live, CT7160 MPEG-2 PCI Decoder, 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC, Iomega Zip 100, Creative PC-DVD, Sony CDRW, Win 98SE

Reply 23 of 39, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2023-09-02, 04:31:

For some reason, I'm more interested in old computers than new ones. The same is true for games (my modern desktop runs integrated graphics, if that's any indication of my level of interest in modern games), but I haven't had much interest in gaming over the past few years (which also means that my old computers don't get used).

I think my first post here was asking about some really obscure stuff I misremembered about an old laptop.

I don't find it surprising that you are more interested in older computers. The 70s-90s was a period of creativity and innovation in personal computers. It was common to see new technologies introduced every few years, which usually led to new gaming experiences. People were introduced to a lot of things for the first time, such as digitized sound and the Internet. The pace of change has certainly slowed down after the early 2000s. For me, I don't think I could come up with any major changes between current games and games released 5 years ago. During the 80s or 90s, 5 years was a long time in terms of innovation.

Reply 24 of 39, by Xanxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-02, 19:03:

I don't find it surprising that you are more interested in older computers. The 70s-90s was a period of creativity and innovation in personal computers. It was common to see new technologies introduced every few years, which usually led to new gaming experiences. People were introduced to a lot of things for the first time, such as digitized sound and the Internet. The pace of change has certainly slowed down after the early 2000s. For me, I don't think I could come up with any major changes between current games and games released 5 years ago. During the 80s or 90s, 5 years was a long time in terms of innovation.

Indeed, things have slow down. I guess that's because the Core i3 to 7 CPU have been very good since first gen and have allowed to use efficiently a new computer for a longer time than before. I had a Toshiba rig with first gen quad core i7 in 2010 and it was top notch almost 10 years except even if the graphic card was very average in the end. Only the patches for the Specter and Meltdown faults lowered its very good performance (about 30% unfortunately).
As you noticed, in the 80's and 90's, 5 years time would made any computer obsolete for demanding things.

Reply 25 of 39, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was inevitable that things would slow down. The progress seen through the 70s and 90s involved a lot of obvious developments and, in part, involved the "low hanging fruit". I'm not downplaying those achievements, but stuff like digital sound and high resolution graphics were inevitable. If the Sound Blaster hadn't been successful, something else would have filled the niche. I'm sure that it was obvious to many game developers back then that faster processors and increased memory would allow them to create larger, more complex worlds too.

I don't think there are many obvious goals that would revolutionize games today. Most improvements are just incremental. We already have vast 3D worlds. There are games where you can play with hundreds of other people online. Apart from incremental improvements in graphics, I doubt that many people would be able to agree on where the industry is heading. Even a lot of key innovators in computer games didn't really achieve much after the 90s. Sometimes I'll check out some of the people who created my favorite DOS games and it seems like half of them started a mobile games company in the 2000s that didn't end up being successful.

Reply 26 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DosFreak wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:26:

Joined vogons because the bravenet forums for vdmsound were horrible and we needed a forum to discuss other things as well.

exactly my reason to join as well 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 39, by vzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just joined today, and I'm not finding the "intro" topic, so I guess I'll do my first post here 😀 I recently got a hold of 2 dual P3 server boxes and installed MS-DOS on one of them and spent alot of time on DOS over the past couple of months 🤣, I just signed up for the wiki so I can add a few new articles. Hopefully I get approved to do so!

Reply 29 of 39, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was posting for advice on another forum and one user pointed Vogons to me, "they are all about, and even more, what you are looking for, and they have even more forums to send you to".
Heaven since!

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-09-29, 12:19. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 33 of 39, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally, I joined to give some answers in the EGA/VGA vertical retrace interrupt thread around S3 video cards. Since late 2021, I became much more active to share some of my knowledge and experience with older PC hardware.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 35 of 39, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I moved from Win9x to XP I was looking for a way to keep my games working on the new OS and came across the forum. Since then I've been able to keep almost everything working as the forum provided some very useful resources and still does.

Reply 37 of 39, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two reasons:

1) Communicate with people who can help me and who I can help with legacy hardware
2) Lead people interested in legacy hardware and retro pc gaming to my online shop

Reply 39 of 39, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThermalLance89 wrote on 2023-12-07, 22:19:

I just joined. Having some issues with my old Pentium PC and Google has led me here.

You have come to the right place. 😁 Enjoy the rabbit hole.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.