VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 89, by Max Headroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-09-06, 17:59:

Forth.
Really old, but compact and fits really well when put into synthesizable hardware.

Have a new, actively developed Forth then (for DOS and CP/M).

Reply 81 of 89, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-10-11, 10:13:

true but for newer systems i really like freepascal and lazarus - i have that on a couple of W7 and Linux builds, makes it easy to port code across - not that i do so very often admittedly

The point is it's convenient to run 32 bit development tools on newer hardware. Whenever possible. More options.

Last edited by kant explain on 2023-10-12, 00:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 82 of 89, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, having access to development toolchains for older platforms, but hosted on modern systems makes thing so much easier.

I doubt I would do 10% of the programming I do for older systems if I had to use period tooling and/or develop on the systems themselves (as we used to have to do).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 83 of 89, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm certainly very happy to be able to run Borland C++ 4.5 and 5 - and also test software intended to run on Windows 3.1 and 9x - in a Windows 2000 or XP VM where if my code crashes (or the IDE does) it doesn't take down all of Windows. I run Linux and don't really desire to run any newer version of Windows than that anyway because they seem to be relatively slow. 2000 and XP have everything I need!

Reply 84 of 89, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-11, 22:20:
gerry wrote on 2023-10-11, 10:13:

true but for newer systems i really like freepascal and lazarus - i have that on a couple of W7 and Linux builds, makes it easy to port code across - not that i do so very often admittedly

The point is it's convenient to run 32 bit development tools on newer hardware. Whenever possible. More options.

yes, when an older tool works problem free in a newer system that can make it easier

there is something nice about writing some code in freepascal that also works in its various implementation and then again on old Tp7 😀

doshea wrote on 2023-10-12, 10:15:

I'm certainly very happy to be able to run Borland C++ 4.5 and 5 - and also test software intended to run on Windows 3.1 and 9x - in a Windows 2000 or XP VM where if my code crashes (or the IDE does) it doesn't take down all of Windows. I run Linux and don't really desire to run any newer version of Windows than that anyway because they seem to be relatively slow. 2000 and XP have everything I need!

a VM is a good choice to avoid those 'total take downs' that a modest bug can bring about when testing code, different configurations can be tested too - eg how much ram there is

having said that - i do have some older PCs specifically set up for 'old' dev - one is a Win98se with various older win16 and DOS tools plus BC5 and VB5 and another win XP with win32 focussed tools like delphi 7, borland builder, visual studio and so on so i do take that risk occasionally of developing (well, tinkering around with small projects really) in old environments

Reply 85 of 89, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in case its of interest there are a couple of game libraries for older tools worth mentioning (they have been referenced before in vogons threads)

for DJGPP - if you want to set things up with the latest DOS allegro library plus patches for sound blaster 1, all ready for use in DOSBOX, a vm or a cross compiler from windows then check

http://www.mrdictionary.net/allegro/

i got this working in Dosbox having added RHIDE from https://www.delorie.com/djgpp/zip-picker.html as the IDE of choice, feels very borland-like

speaking of borland, if you have turbo c++ 3.0 and TASM 2.0 you can make the project from

https://github.com/mills32/Little-Game-Engine-for-VGA-EGA

which is nothing less than a marvel for vga on 8088/8086/286 class machines, although unfortunately tutorials and documentation are sparse

Reply 86 of 89, by SuperIlu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2023-09-10, 14:16:

@xcomcmdr: Thank you, yes that looks interesting and pretty impressive!

Thanks, I recently released a new version 😀

http://twitter.com/dec_hl - Four 8086 have 64bit as well!

Reply 87 of 89, by Max Headroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone has put plenty of interesting resources of Comal for PC on Web Archive — I mean especially Unicomal 3.11 IBM PC (and other files uploaded by „amiblitz94” user.

Reply 88 of 89, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Max Headroom wrote on 2023-11-17, 09:51:

Someone has put plenty of interesting resources of Comal for PC on Web Archive — I mean especially Unicomal 3.11 IBM PC (and other files uploaded by „amiblitz94” user.

Comal, haven't heard that name since I was in school using it on the Archimedes. Might take a look later. I think I still have my school notes from back then tucked away somewhere.

Reply 89 of 89, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gca wrote on 2023-11-17, 12:38:
Max Headroom wrote on 2023-11-17, 09:51:

Comal, haven't heard that name since I was in school using it on the Archimedes. Might take a look later. I think I still have my school notes from back then tucked away somewhere.

that's interesting, a kind of structured basic from back in the day, relatively unknown today. back when it was all line numbered basic on 8 bit systems that would have been seemed like a real step up for those used to basic