VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always been tinkering with PCs since 1992, and I'm a professional technician. Very rarely I met problems I couldn't solve (probably, less than the number of fingers of 1 hand).
But I feel incomplete.

I mean, I know how to 'use' computers and parts, how to assemble or replace them, diagnose and everything. But I'm still using things that somebody else made.

On the other hand, I saw people doing wonders. Like the dude here in the forum who designed and built a PS/2 ISA card from scratch.

Once, I even saw a YouTube video of a Russian dude who managed to remove the GDDR memory chips from a NVIDIA card and replace them with GDDR chips DOUBLE their sizes, effectively DOUBLING the amount of GDDRAM of the GPU and it was working!!! He showed some uncomprehensible (for me) schematics and how he did it...

That's the kind of stuff I'd like to be able to do! Just 2 examples, but I saw many more other similar feats, even here on Vogons.

The difference between a USER and a MODIFIER.

How do I become like that? Where do I start?

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would start with learning electronics fundamentals, how basic components and ICs work, how to construct different types of circuits, etc. There are introductory kits for this sort of thing and a variety of skills and tools to learn.

You can also work at diagnosing and repairing things at the hardware level. This can help in understanding how various computer components work at a fundamental level.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-09-26, 19:50:

It would start with learning electronics fundamentals, how basic components and ICs work, how to construct different types of circuits, etc. There are introductory kits for this sort of thing and a variety of skills and tools to learn.

You can also work at diagnosing and repairing things at the hardware level. This can help in understanding how various computer components work at a fundamental level.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 22, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally I never get anywhere with a vague goal like "I want to be able to modify hardware". The few really clever things I've done in my life happened because I identified a problem that really bothered/interested, and then I obsessed over it, chipping away at the problem and learning the relevant skills as I went.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go through these projects, read the explains, look up the fundamentals you don't get as you do it...
List of open-source PC hardware projects

Then you might also want to start with low level meddling with simple 8 bit style machines to give you a feel for it...
http://searle.wales

There's a hardware hacking blog, Hackaday which averages about 1 post every two weeks that's "in our wheelhouse" as it were, though it can be nothing for ages and three come along at once. Search there for PC, ISA, retro stuff to see what's going on.

Also there's some older editions of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" that really go into the nitty gritty of bus timing, memory arrangements etc, where the newer editions are more swap and plug modules.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-09-27, 00:54:
Go through these projects, read the explains, look up the fundamentals you don't get as you do it... List of open-source PC har […]
Show full quote

Go through these projects, read the explains, look up the fundamentals you don't get as you do it...
List of open-source PC hardware projects

Then you might also want to start with low level meddling with simple 8 bit style machines to give you a feel for it...
http://searle.wales

There's a hardware hacking blog, Hackaday which averages about 1 post every two weeks that's "in our wheelhouse" as it were, though it can be nothing for ages and three come along at once. Search there for PC, ISA, retro stuff to see what's going on.

Also there's some older editions of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" that really go into the nitty gritty of bus timing, memory arrangements etc, where the newer editions are more swap and plug modules.

Interesting! Thanks a lot!

badmojo wrote on 2023-09-26, 23:53:

Personally I never get anywhere with a vague goal like "I want to be able to modify hardware". The few really clever things I've done in my life happened because I identified a problem that really bothered/interested, and then I obsessed over it, chipping away at the problem and learning the relevant skills as I went.

Yeah, that is also an approach... it's more specific to a specific goal tho.
If the goal is generic, like wanting to be 'good' at this 'kind' of things... then it's more difficult to identify a specific project to obsess on...

Reply 6 of 22, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 10:58:

The difference between a USER and a MODIFIER.

The difference between a USER and a MODIFIER is a few years of your life that you have to dedicate for studying this field.

I'm not a hi-tech person so personally I have no desire to spend few years of my life for gaining a new profession that I'm not intending to work in.

So I'm choosing a badmojo's way - when I have a goal I'm starting to find a path to achieve this goal.

Reply 7 of 22, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 10:58:

University. If you want to be a master of a field, you have to seriously study it.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 8 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gotcha guys, thanks again.

Geri wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:37:

University. If you want to be a master of a field, you have to seriously study it.

Out of curiosity: you say university. But, to do that kind of stuff, what kind? Like engineering? What kind of engineering? Computer science? something else?

Reply 9 of 22, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:45:

Out of curiosity: you say university. But, to do that kind of stuff, what kind? Like engineering? What kind of engineering? Computer science? something else?

Depends on what you want.

Computer science will barely focus on hardware (you can attend the first year only and then vanish, that contains most of the hardware and transistor level logic). Second year might contains some C.
Some universities have 2 year long educations (not giving an university diploma, but you can consider them a half diploma), which will again contain some low-level hardware magic, you can combine this with the previous one, maybe even finish it if you are interested that much, but the second year will be boring.

Engineering might or might not covers it, you must find one that is related to computers somehow, and maybe the first or second year here as well, which could be interesting for you.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 10 of 22, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Geri wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:50:
Depends on what you want. […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:45:

Computer science will barely focus on hardware (you can attend the first year only and then vanish, that contains most of the hardware and transistor level logic). Second year might contains some C.
Some universities have 2 year long educations (not giving an university diploma, but you can consider them a half diploma), which will again contain some low-level hardware magic, you can combine this with the previous one, maybe even finish it if you are interested that much, but the second year will be boring.

Engineering might or might not covers it, you must find one that is related to computers somehow, and maybe the first or second year here as well, which could be interesting for you.

I did a two year program and received a diploma in the end. The different accreditations you can get here in Canada are confusing, but it's often 2 years for a diploma, 4 years for a bachelor's degree, and 3-5 for post-graduate degrees. I've also seen others that are even shorter, like 1 year master's degrees.

Reply 11 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Geri wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:50:
Depends on what you want. […]
Show full quote

Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-27, 19:59:

I did a two year program and received a diploma in the end. The different accreditations you can get here in Canada are confusing, but it's often 2 years for a diploma, 4 years for a bachelor's degree, and 3-5 for post-graduate degrees. I've also seen others that are even shorter, like 1 year master's degrees.

Okay, thank you guys!

Reply 12 of 22, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

University is invaluable but you really have to study it passionately as a hobby in your own time too. I’ve known a lot of CS grads who had enormous gaps in their knowledge, like they were total beginners but had a bachelors. Don’t get me wrong though, the university education is absolutely invaluable because it will fill in gaps in your knowledge that self study won’t. You really need both.

Difference between a user and a guru: when your computer stops working and you break out the oscilloscope…

Reply 13 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2023-09-27, 20:40:

University is invaluable but you really have to study it passionately as a hobby in your own time too. I’ve known a lot of CS grads who had enormous gaps in their knowledge, like they were total beginners but had a bachelors. Don’t get me wrong though, the university education is absolutely invaluable because it will fill in gaps in your knowledge that self study won’t. You really need both.

Difference between a user and a guru: when your computer stops working and you break out the oscilloscope…

got it! Thanks.

I didn't understand the oscilloscope thing (cause I'm not a guru of course) but 🤣 anyway (cause I kinda smell the gist)

Reply 14 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Learning for an amateur radio license also teachs a basic understanding of electronics, physics and high frequency.
- If it's not exactly the Technician Class (very basic, more about rules than technology).

Computer pioneers in the 1970s were often radio amateurs, as well.
It were those people who built lots of complicated circuits by using discreet TTL chips only.
These people were also into DIY (Do It Yourself), often building their own chassis from wood or metal.

Also, the acquired license after a successful examination can be useful in later life.
It's a certification that proves that someone has a certain degree of competence.

Btw, in these days, a lot of computer technology is involved (Software defined Radio, SDR).
The radios are like computers, with an RF front-end that has D/A and A/D converter attached to it.

Edit: Often, astronauts and researchers in the Antarctic have an amateur radio license, as well.

Edit: In principle, the hobby/service has a lot of diversity, it's not just talking over microphone.
Some fellows are more into making contacts or contesting (to get a diploma), some do participate a fox hunt event (aka foxoring radio bearing, finding a hidden beacon),
some prefer hiking (sometimes doing geocaching with a GPS receiver), some are into languages etc.
And some like to experiment with microwaves or laser. Or high-altitude ballooning. Some are into R/C models etc.

Edit: Just be warned, amateur radio has a bit of a stigma for being an old thing.
And it's true if you're hanging out with old people on the local club, maybe.
But that can probably be said about any hobby that's not being mainstream these days.
There are groups of young people, too, with lots of dedication.
Some schools and other facilities have amateur radio clubs with similar minded people.
And then there's the internet, as well..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-27, 21:11:
Learning for an amateur radio license also teachs a basic understanding of electronics, physics and high frequency. - If it's no […]
Show full quote

Learning for an amateur radio license also teachs a basic understanding of electronics, physics and high frequency.
- If it's not exactly the Technician Class (very basic, more about rules than technology).

Computer pioneers in the 1970s were often radio amateurs, as well.
It were those people who built lots of complicated circuits by using discreet TTL chips only.
These people were also into DIY (Do It Yourself), often building their own chassis from wood or metal.

Also, the acquired license after a successful examination can be useful in later life.
It's a certification that proves that someone has a certain degree of competence.

Btw, in these days, a lot of computer technology is involved (Software defined Radio, SDR).
The radios are like computers, with an RF front-end that has D/A and A/D converter attached to it.

Edit: Often, astronauts and researchers in the Antarctic have an amateur radio license, as well.

Edit: In principle, the hobby/service has a lot of diversity, it's not just talking over microphone.
Some fellows are more into making contacts or contesting (to get a diploma), some do participate a fox hunt event (aka foxoring radio bearing, finding a hidden beacon),
some prefer hiking (sometimes doing geocaching with a GPS receiver), some are into languages etc.
And some like to experiment with microwaves or laser. Or high-altitude ballooning. Some are into R/C models etc.

Edit: Just be warned, amateur radio has a bit of a stigma for being an old thing.
And it's true if you're hanging out with old people on the local club, maybe.
But that can probably be said about any hobby that's not being mainstream these days.
There are groups of young people, too, with lots of dedication.
Some schools and other facilities have amateur radio clubs with similar minded people.
And then there's the internet, as well..

Interesting! Thanks!!

Reply 16 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 21:36:

Interesting! Thanks!!

You're welcome. ^^

Here's a quick summary about the hobby by the Radio Society of Great Britain.
Each country has its equivalent here. I've chosen this one because it's English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6x_6mDVlQ

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 22, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-27, 21:46:
You're welcome. ^^ […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 21:36:

Interesting! Thanks!!

You're welcome. ^^

Here's a quick summary about the hobby by the Radio Society of Great Britain.
Each country has its equivalent here. I've chosen this one because it's English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6x_6mDVlQ

Thanks again!!!

Reply 18 of 22, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guru is too imprecise to define imo. I'll use it to refer to people in another department if I need to consult them on something. Usually something like "we should ask the biochemistry gurus about that". I also use it to refer to someone who is really knowledgeable on a certain topic, usually far more than anyone else in the lab, like "You better ask the Java guru over there. He can answer your question better than me.".

I think a better way of categorizing computer knowledge is the powerusers and admins. In an office environment, a power user would be someone who knows their OS quite well, can install software, can troubleshoot common problems, etc. Their job often requires more technical software, such as AutoCAD. However, they aren't the admins. They don't have the knowledge (or privileges) to configure stuff on the networking side or to repair hardware.

Reply 19 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
midicollector wrote on 2023-09-27, 20:40:

Yeah CS is all over the place depending where you take it, some is very theoretical and high level and basically the management of computer installations for various purposes, some is closer to microelectronic engineering with a side of programming, while covering all the architecture theoreticals. Even what might be considered broad and technical might not give you much clue about anything used before 2010 other than broad strokes historical overview.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.