VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so hear me out; I miss the LAN parties when I was a teen and I miss the online gaming groups I was in as a 20 something, casual Counter-Strike clans or group TF2 servers. But frankly, a lot of online gaming these days seems, er, 'intense'? I really don't want to deal with highly competative gameplay concerned about the 'Meta' or have some 15yo threatening to rape my mother because I died too soon. I'm asking of a community exists out there, for online PC gaming, that focuses on just being a chill fun time. Be it Quake Death Match or Counter-Strike 2 or anything inbetween. Retro games are good but there's also good modern games, but what I really want is just a 'casual fun time'. Like if I were to go bowling with friends, I could throw gutter balls all night, but so long as there was a good conversation, Nacho's and a Time Crisis machine, it was still a good time, you get me?

That. I'm looking for that or some guidance on finding that.

Reply 1 of 2, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like that too!

The last time I tried to play one of the Medal of Honor games, the only server I had a decent ping to was still nowhere near me and I got kicked for having too high of a ping 😢 I miss goofing off in Battlefield 1942, racing jeeps and stuff. I wouldn't mind trying to relive the days of having 5 people sitting around a PC playing Scorched Earth with some multi-user VNC session or something.

If nothing exists, maybe we can make something?

Reply 2 of 2, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2023-10-01, 19:24:

But frankly, a lot of online gaming these days seems, er, 'intense'? I really don't want to deal with highly competative gameplay concerned about the 'Meta' or have some 15yo threatening to rape my mother because I died too soon. I'm asking of a community exists out there, for online PC gaming, that focuses on just being a chill fun time.

You're always welcome to join me for Future vs. Fantasy Quake if you don't mind my massively self-deprecating playername and some of the inside jokes on the server itself. (though this also depends on if the server is even still *alive*, I haven't been on it in a while)

I'm always looking for anyone interested in co-oping anything in particular with me that's stable enough to be played in co-op. Unreal 1, maybe some of those UT99 singleplayer's when given sufficient hack fixes to make the co-op not break. (I've even written such a hack for 7Bullets years ago)

I use Mumble for VoIP, it's more reliable than Discord, more higher quality than Discord, and I self-host it. I used to use TeamSpeak 3 years ago but got tired of the phoning home licensing crap. I also hate that they force usage of PulseAudio with it on Linux now.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων