declining utility of older systems

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-11, 10:43:

When i was at a doctor a month ago i saw this actively used machine...

Why upgrade when this computer works just fine? A new diagnostics system might cost tens of thousands of dollars for the same function.

Reply 21 of 24, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote on 2023-10-04, 13:17:
Is anyone else finding declining utility of older systems? In my case, one of the things that is fueling it is storage. File si […]
Show full quote

Is anyone else finding declining utility of older systems?
In my case, one of the things that is fueling it is storage. File sizes have become so big that storing on DVD is no longer practical.
I still run win98 on some machines, but of course they cannot recognize external drives. I have some thumb drives that will work with win98, but some of those machines have only USB 1, and the glacial transfer speeds.
Kind of sad.

Use SD to ide. Pull out the Sd card, stick it in modern PC transfer large files and dump it back into win98 pc. Easy and fast

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 22 of 24, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gmaverick2k wrote on 2023-10-14, 07:35:
Is anyone else finding declining utility of older systems? In my case, one of the things that is fueling it is storage. File si […]
Show full quote

In my case, one of the things that is fueling it is storage. File sizes have become so big that storing on DVD is no longer practical.
I still run win98 on some machines, but of course they cannot recognize external drives. I have some thumb drives that will work with win98, but some of those machines have only USB 1, and the glacial transfer speeds.
Kind of sad.

Use SD to ide. Pull out the Sd card, stick it in modern PC transfer large files and dump it back into win98 pc. Easy and fast

This is what I do, but with CompactFlash. It works a treat. Although not as fast, onboard USB 1.1 ports are plenty useful for transferring small files and drivers, when I don't want to reboot.

I have not had good success with USB 2.0 cards on older systems. Insertion and removal can cause Windows to lock up. However, they tend to work just fine when not touched, so I treat them as fixed disks instead.

Reply 23 of 24, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-10-14, 19:39:
gmaverick2k wrote on 2023-10-14, 07:35:
Show full quote

Kind of sad.

This is what I do, but with CompactFlash. It works a treat. Although not as fast, onboard USB 1.1 ports are plenty useful for transferring small files and drivers, when I don't want to reboot.

I have not had good success with USB 2.0 cards on older systems. Insertion and removal can cause Windows to lock up. However, they tend to work just fine when not touched, so I treat them as fixed disks instead.

i'm currently getting speed of 79MB/s write speed from using the reader on the front of my hp z440, quick and easy transfer of bin/cue files

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 24 of 24, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Windows 9X and XP PCs see my UnRAID server just fine so I just made a folder it it called 'Retro Tank' and I use that folder to ferry files from a moddern PC to the retro machines.

That said, since both machines have 120GB SSDs in them and only run 'classic' software, their storage is basically 'bottomless'. I just can't fill a 120GB drive with just retro software that I actually want to use.