PXL_20231106_204423261.jpg
Filename
PXL_20231106_204423261.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There's no thread here on the Steam Deck since before it was even released so I thought I'd bring this up. But the Steam Deck, while not perfect, is overall a pretty great system for playing classic PC games in a handheld fashion on the go. What's surprised me most is that in a lot of cases, but not universally so, Proton is better at old Windows games than modern Windows.

Despite the 'Steam' name it in no way prevents you from installing your own software. A Flatpak install of DOSBox covers everything in DOS you may want to play. I was able to set up per game .conf files with their own autoexec entries so each DOS game I set up has it's own entry and game configuration. The controls are highly configurable so work on a 'lot' of DOS games. The main weakness is some games use a lot of keyboard keys and that's just never going to work well on a 'gamepad' layout. Even Oregon Trail, with it's many keys for functions is not great unless you want the on screen keyboard on all the time it's not workable. Also, while you can map the joysticks to send any four key presses depending on direction, that's it, you can only map four keys in the u/d/l/r directionality, so you can't map 8 keys for DOS games that used the Numpad for diagonals. Railroad Tycoon thus was not really playable since I could only build straights and 90 degree turns.

On the Windows front, it's neat. First, not every Steam game is really a new game or a Windows game. Plenty are DOS games sold in a wrapper for DOSBox and some are 20 year old Windows games that 'run' but have no QoL improvements. First, you can add the 'Boxtron' compatibility layer which swaps the default Windows DOSBox wrapper a DOS Game on Steam sells with and enables the Linux native DOSBox and lets the user configure it. Secondly there's Luxtorpeda which also swaps your old Steam PC games for open source builds that exist elsewhere. Buy Doom which uses DOSBox and it'll let you swap that for multiple options of Doom source ports. Get Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and it can swap that for OpenRCT2. Get Re-Volt and swap that for RVGL.

Then there's just Windows games themselves. The Steam Deck obviously has no optical drive so you'll need NoCD cracked copies of your games, it can be easier ot get a 'precracked' copy in some cases cause you overwise have to install through the Proton compatibility layer but it can all be done if you put your mind to it. I found The Sims 2, once installed and ready, 'just worked' better than it does on even my real Windows XP machine. Did some creative gamepad layouts and it works great. I have the 'NextGen' patch of Need For Speed III and that's just a great game in a handheld. What games work is not 100% and things with 'lots of windows' can be a big problem with how the 'Game Mode' interface interacts. Not a 100% flawless machine but still great in it's own right.

Reply 1 of 5, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We dont want crasked games here though.
One thing you should see when you read some of the threads is that we want to do it the old way.

Theres nothing wrong with Dosbox but why would I use that when I can use MS-DOS? And why would I use Dosbox and the crasks needed to do it?

The Steamdeck while being nice is extremely over rated considering what we like to do.

When I play a game I like that I have to get the CD out of the box, put it into the drive just to be able to play it.
That is part of the reason I do it.

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-11, 20:33:

One thing you should see when you read some of the threads is that we want to do it the old way.

You must be new here.

"Very Old Games On New Systems"

Running emulators on the Steamdeck to play older PC games is fine. Linux-based systems need the old windows-based CD checks busted for anything to function regardless anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-12, 02:58:
You must be new here. […]
Show full quote

You must be new here.

Running emulators on the Steamdeck to play older PC games is fine. Linux-based systems need the old windows-based CD checks busted for anything to function regardless anyway

Most of the discussions I see on here are about old hardware and old software.

I didnt say it wasnt fine as a topic of discussion, it is interesting in its own right, but its hardly under rated.

Reply 4 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always wanted something like the Steam Deck. Except portable and with a decent resolution screen. There are competitors that sort of do it, but are rather expensive.

We dont want crasked games here though.

Probably a bit of confusion here, but there are two big reasons you might think this:

1. They're legally dubious and the owners don't want the legal risk of their forum users linking to them or discussing using them to pirate games.
  2. When troubleshooting why a game doesn't work, we want to make sure it isn't a bad crack/ripped copy, of which there are many.

But I think it's widely accepted here that people use no-CD cracks for various legitimate purposes and there is nothing wrong with that. Discussing cracks without telling people where to get them is fine.

Very Old Games on Newer Operating Systems (VOGONS) would in a ton of cases be impossible without cracks. Windows has for security reasons broken compatibility with major copy protection systems.

leileilol wrote on 2023-11-12, 02:58:

You must be new here.

I would also say the DOSBox forum being hosted here is why a huge portion of users are here.

Reply 5 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Steam Deck is an awesome piece of kit. It's amazing to me how far portable computing as come, especially the quality of the displays available.

I just wish something like this existed 30 years ago.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards