VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was no thread on this, so I decided to make one.

In my country, cricket is the most popular sport among the people. And so it is to me. There will always be 1 in 3 person who would volunteer to play the game.

For a time-pass play, the rules would be fluid, different from international standards but it still remains a completely fun and immersive game.

Other times, I move to play tennis or badminton, because there's not just enough area or people for football/soccer (not that I am the fastest on the field)

What are your choices on sports?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing chess?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 16, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it is Karting. I had a decade of competitive amateur go karting tournaments around the country before the pandemic.

I plan to go back and also try some basketball again.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess groups of ppl I know could get me into "knockaround" games of soccer, cricket, baseball, basketball, volleyball, street hockey, but I don't watch or follow any team sports really. I might watch Canada in Olympic hockey, England in the World Cup, Maple Leafs if they ever make the playoffs etc. big matches but I can't care enough for the league stuff.

Sports I would pursue voluntarily include cycling, non-competitive, and "keep meaning to" make a serious effort to get into rowing, canoeing, sailing, something on the water. Used to be into watching motorsports, F1, Rallying, did a bit of clubman rally years back, but you kinda gotta live in the right area for it.

Then there's hiking of course, which I would do wayyyy more often if pollen allergies hadn't got so severe on me the last few years.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do weight training and hiking. Also have a mild interest in combat sports, did a little bit of HEMA, close to a year, but the only place that was available in my region was borderline scammy. Used to be interested in basket ball, playing regularly (but not competitively) in college, I'm better with my hands than with my feet when manipulating a ball, but don't have much "ball sense" or I don't know how to put it. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't really "my" sport. However people say that I have a decent sense for tennis and table tennis, or at least I did fairly well as a complete amateur. Though it might be more the result of my decent baseline athleticism rather than real talent.

For watching, I'm mostly interested in motorsports. I've been watching Formula 1 for a good 15 years than I stopped. 4-5 hours of my weekend for the qualifiers and the race is just too much time spent on passive entertainment. I've also been watching some rally and touring car races, but not with the dedication I had for F1.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 10 of 16, by CrazyCatman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to do football (soccer), altheteics and jiu-jitsu when I was a kid - also did some horseback riding and cycling but not as sport just as recreative chill.

Now I do running although I hate it and my knees always are in pain - mainly to keep a bit in shape, I have access to a fitness for free which I plan to use (only used it a little bit so far), I recently bought a mountain bike again and is looking for a road racing bike - but again only for recreational use.
I have done a few half marathons (four official ones I think), but my favourite distance is 10 km - but it have been a while since I did that so I might go back to 5 km runs as my main runs again.

.... but my main sport is shooting (have had a half years pause due to paternity leave which have made it difficult to fit in the practise and the competitions). I mainly shoot .22 and .32 (secondarily) and do both presicion, duel and military rapid shooting. So far only one championship and a second place at a championship, but mainly I shoot for the calm it gives me as you need to work a lot on clearing the mind and breathing.

I also shoot precision sessions with rifle (5.56 mm) in the naval home guard where I so far only have a Bronze merit badge (done on a pool rifle - so not adjusted to my eyes).

So many computers, so little time...

Reply 11 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am banned from all forms of shooting and target sports for being too good....

... actually it's that I'm on a medication that's meant to be an unfair advantage in steadying your hand.... you wouldn't know it when I try to solder 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote on 2023-11-08, 14:15:

Running

Runner here as well, once a week 10km.

And I commute on an e-bike, 140km a week.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 13 of 16, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrazyCatman wrote on 2023-11-21, 15:09:

.... but my main sport is shooting (have had a half years pause due to paternity leave which have made it difficult to fit in the practise and the competitions). I mainly shoot .22 and .32 (secondarily) and do both presicion, duel and military rapid shooting. So far only one championship and a second place at a championship, but mainly I shoot for the calm it gives me as you need to work a lot on clearing the mind and breathing.

I also shoot precision sessions with rifle (5.56 mm) in the naval home guard where I so far only have a Bronze merit badge (done on a pool rifle - so not adjusted to my eyes).

would the 5.56 be nato ammunition from a standard issue carbine rifle given the position in the naval guard? you have quite the range of activities with calibers and shooting competitions!

Reply 14 of 16, by CrazyCatman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-11-21, 22:26:
CrazyCatman wrote on 2023-11-21, 15:09:

would the 5.56 be nato ammunition from a standard issue carbine rifle given the position in the naval guard? you have quite the range of activities with calibers and shooting competitions!

Indeed; the 5.56 nato is from when I shoot in the naval home guard - both practicing and compititions; I was actually planning to go to Germany this year for a shooting event with the German Reserves, but sadly I had some other things I needed to do.
I am also trained on other calibers, but mainly use .22 civilian and 5.56 in the navy.

So many computers, so little time...

Reply 15 of 16, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is me at full throttle in my main sport, racing 😀

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    File size
    272.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Brazilian Indoor Karting Cup
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!