VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you rather buy legacy pc hardware lots or one specific item?

If you buy lots, what are the reasons behind it?

Reply 1 of 3, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends.

For things like RAM and CF cards, I've bought them via lots. They don't take up much space and having a bunch of those types of items on hand is useful when doing multiple builds.

For most other hardware, I prefer to buy individually as I am usually buying them for specific builds. I also don't mind paying a bit more if it's an item that has been confirmed working. It saves me from having to troubleshoot and repair things.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I spot something interesting in a lot I'll get the lot as a whole since it's less hassle. Then go through the parts I don't want and recycle them, or keep them for selling on later.
This scattershot approach has lead to me having a couple of boxes full of parts I don't want or just want to use for components, like stealing capacitors and other parts off them and I do have to go through those pretty often to clear out the less useful stuff.

More than a couple of times, a scrap lot I've purchased has ended up containing a lot more interesting stuff than was visible in the pictures, so it's like a physical loot box in a sense.
That's not going to work for everyone though, I'm in this hobby more because I like fixing things than using them it seems.

Reply 3 of 3, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I rarely visit eBay for electronics these days. However, when I buy gadgets locally, the seller will sometimes sense my electronical nerdiness and say something to the effect of "Yo dawg, I've got more stuff in my attic/basement/closet/fridge I think you'll dig. Wanna check it out?"

And I'd think to myself don't say yes, don't say yes, don't say yes. Then blurt out "Oh ma gad, totally!!"

6 out of 10 times, it'd be something overwhelmingly great that I wouldn't want to live without. So in some strange freak of synchronicity I'd come home not only with a computer monitor, but also an extra power supply, integrated amp, 8 LPs, and an area rug Woz would be proud to have.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!