VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

You remember my dream. This very month a (thinner than my dreamy min. 800 pages magazine, but still!!!!) retro computing magazine is born!

It's in Italian. I contacted them and asked if they ship the print version abroad, they don't. But the PDF edition is available virtually everywhere. If any of you is interested in the pictures, can sense a little bit of Italian, or is willing to do copy-paste in a translator (or to use Google Lens on the screen), here it is:

https://sprea.it/rivista/42894-win-magazine-retro-n1

l5UhSxz.jpg

First issue!!!

EDIT:
Magazine browsed on video:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0kcoge50r8Y

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-12-26, 13:38. Edited 2 times in total.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 3 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I loe reading old gaming and computer magazines like most of us do. and this would be cool if its about building retro computers, and talks about old parts and so on so I guess it could be neat, but give readers the first issue free to check it out . So im on the fence and am not paying 6 euros to see .

Reply 5 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's neat, too. 😃 The price isn't so unusual, either.

Retro magazines like GO64! went for similar prices (ca. 5€), about twenty years ago.

That was when printed media was still common, though. Now it's more of a luxury.

One thing that comes to mind to reduce the price tag is to use lower end material (recycling paper, non glossy paper) and less colours (say, black and blue on white paper).

(That's how the CQDL amateur radio magazine looked like up until the early 2000s, by the way.)

But the problem here might be that the readers won't buy such a modest looking thing anymore.
And the printing house may also no longer offer that option.

PS: I believe I remember that Italy had an interesting electronics magazine called "Nuova Elettronica".
Some sort of equivalent to Popular Electronics, I think.

Edit: Here's a (yesterday's) tip: Often you can get rare/foreign magazines at the international news agencies.
They're located at airports or larger train stations. They're like big newspaper kiosk, so to say, with walls filled of magazines and books and comics.
So if you can't order a magazine directly, these places may have it. Good luck. 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-12-14, 08:04:
I think it's neat, too. 😃 The price isn't so unusual, either. […]
Show full quote

Retro magazines like GO64! went for similar prices (ca. 5€), about twenty years ago.

That was when printed media was still common, though. Now it's more of a luxury.

One thing that comes to mind to reduce the price tag is to use lower end material (recycling paper, non glossy paper) and less colours (say, black and blue on white paper).

(That's how the CQDL amateur radio magazine looked like up until the early 2000s, by the way.)

But the problem here might be that the readers won't buy such a modest looking thing anymore.

PS: I believe I remember that Italy had an interesting electronics magazine called "Nuova Elettronica".

Edit: Here's a (yesterday's) tip: Often you can get rare/foreign magazines at the international news agencies.
They're located at airports or larger train stations. They're like big newspaper kiosk, so to say, with walls filled of magazines and books and comics.
So if you can't order a magazine directly, these places may have it. Good luck. 🙂🤞

Good points! And thanks for the tip!

WolverineDK wrote on 2023-12-13, 21:43:

I think it is awesome, even though I do not read, or speak Italian 😀 But still pretty cool 😀

It is!!! I'm so happy!

Law212 wrote on 2023-12-13, 16:51:

Well I loe reading old gaming and computer magazines like most of us do. and this would be cool if its about building retro computers, and talks about old parts and so on so I guess it could be neat, but give readers the first issue free to check it out . So im on the fence and am not paying 6 euros to see .

I'll contact them and ask if I can post some sample pages and/or the table of contents...

Reply 7 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-12-13, 16:51:

A dude here shows the magazine browsing it:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0kcoge50r8Y

Reply 9 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
I think it's neat, too. 😃 The price isn't so unusual, either. […]
Show full quote

Dude! my dad gave me all his issues last year, it was quite a good magazine and even though he came out of school as an electrical engineering technician he has no problem saying that besides the ton of practical work experience that brought him to his current ludicrous level of knowledge, that magazine also helped him a lot.

I'm always impressed to see how Italy has a strong, passionate and active retro PC community, it's also one of the few communities in italy that can speak\write a decent enough english, it's one of the few good things i like about my country.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 10 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I never got into Electronics (sadly for me), therefore I am not aware of Nuova Elettronica, but what iraito said does not surprise me:

iraito wrote on 2023-12-20, 15:57:

Dude! [...] it was quite a good magazine [...] that magazine also helped him a lot.

I'm always impressed to see how Italy has a strong, passionate and active retro PC community, it's also one of the few communities in italy that can speak\write a decent enough english, it's one of the few good things i like about my country.

Glad to hear that, and happy to find a fellow Italian brother here (nice to meet you!) and a foreign lover of Italian magazine(s)!

Reply 11 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the first English review of the magazine showed up a few days ago!

https://www.breakinglatest.news/world/retro-c … y-of-computers/

My gosh I so hope that they make the magazine in English too!

Reply 12 of 14, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-12-26, 13:35:

And the first English review of the magazine showed up a few days ago!

https://www.breakinglatest.news/world/retro-c … y-of-computers/

My gosh I so hope that they make the magazine in English too!

"A pleasant, instructive and engaging read"

Yeah, right, the only problem is that this magazine is in Italian ... 😁 Neat magazine and weird review.

Reply 13 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-12-26, 14:15:

"A pleasant, instructive and engaging read"

Yeah, right, the only problem is that this magazine is in Italian ... 😁 Neat magazine and weird review.

Yeah! I was curious indeed and looked for the writer's name suspecting he might be Italian, but found none.

Well, sometimes I read some Japanese anime/manga magazine articles using Google Lens on my phone. If I'm not mistaken, the digital edition is in PDF format, I guess one can simply copy-paste it into a translator. But I'd totally prefer if they released it in English as well. It might become the retrocomputing reference point not just in Italy but internationally. That might give them a big boost. I'd propose them to translate it, if only I wasn't so swamped that many times I don't even have time to go to the bathroom (literally, not a metaphor).

Reply 14 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Second issue available!!!!!
They approved the project for at least 6 issues (bi-monthly)

https://sprea.it/rivista/45120-retro-computer-n1

For moral reasons I must specify that I do not support, disagree with, and fully reject any sexual-related content. Besides that article, everything else is great.

QXyloGW.jpg