VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

since Windows isnt a gui for dos instead of WinDO-w-S, it should be called Win-N-e-T-ka, which i just realized now why Windows NT was codenamed Microsoft Chicago or Windows NT (Winnetka Illinois is outside of chicago).

WinDO(w)S
WinNeTka (Win NT) (Chicago)

I think thats behind the scenes

iami

RETIRED
This user is no longer active on VOGONS.

Reply 2 of 13, by XPS-Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Put down the bong my friend, you've had enough. Windows are views into into an application or process. It's still relevant as a branding concept.

Now think about Windows 365 and tell me "what's real man?" It's just an illusion. It's like Gary Kildall and the micro revolution are just fading away man!

Dude! We're gonna live in the matrix!

😉

Reply 3 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
XPS-Master wrote on 2023-12-31, 04:37:
Put down the bong my friend, you've had enough. Windows are views into into an application or process. It's still relevant as a […]
Show full quote

Put down the bong my friend, you've had enough. Windows are views into into an application or process. It's still relevant as a branding concept.

Now think about Windows 365 and tell me "what's real man?" It's just an illusion. It's like Gary Kildall and the micro revolution are just fading away man!

Dude! We're gonna live in the matrix!

😉

Just an Illusion (Imagination in 1982) 😉 I think they were on to something.

Reply 4 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm surprised that Windows 10 wasn't called "Windows NT Series X", considering Microsoft's track record of naming things weirdly. Xbox Series X vs. Xbox Series S vs. Xbox One X vs. Xbox One S? Yeah, they need to fire whoever came up with that ridiculous naming convention.

No wonder Sony is outselling them 3 to 1. People just don't know which Xbox they're supposed to buy. 😁

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now we get
New Teams
New Outlook

and whatever else, thats not going to confusing when the new becomes the old.
it seems like the marketing team at Microsoft actively try and make things hard to search!
just sigh and move on thats what I do

Reply 7 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was watching a documentary about the original windows release. They looked at at the media coverage around other GUIs on the market and sorted created a word cloud. They saw that "windows" was a term used to describe GUIs the most, so they named their product "windows" so they could sort of monopolize mind share.

Reply 8 of 13, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just call it "virus", what's the problem? 😁

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 9 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-02, 06:00:
Now we get New Teams New Outlook […]
Show full quote

Now we get
New Teams
New Outlook

and whatever else, thats not going to confusing when the new becomes the old.
it seems like the marketing team at Microsoft actively try and make things hard to search!
just sigh and move on thats what I do

I suppose that explains Teams Classic then.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not just Microsoft. It's industry wide. Take Intel's product stack for example, or even AMD for that matter.
Forget about trying to explain USB generations to the lay person......

Reply 11 of 13, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2024-01-02, 22:50:

It's not just Microsoft. It's industry wide. Take Intel's product stack for example, or even AMD for that matter.

To a lay person is easy, its 5, 10, 20 or 40gbit and you either can or cant plug stuff in... Try it and see...
its somebody who thinks they know something about something that it gets confusing.

Reply 13 of 13, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-03, 12:03:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2024-01-02, 22:50:

To a lay person is easy, its 5, 10, 20 or 40gbit and you either can or cant plug stuff in... Try it and see...
its somebody who thinks they know something about something that it gets confusing.

This is a very fair point, 🤣.