VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In your most powerful PC of course.
i mean both: old and modern cards.

Last edited by robertmo3 on 2024-01-03, 17:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 16, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excluding GPU and sound cards, I also use a PCI-E USB adapter.

There are never enough USB ports...

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 16, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the PCI-e expansion slots obsolete already?

In my daily-driver desktop system: a videocard, an USB 3.0 adapter (the mobo is pretty old) and a SATA 3.0 adapter (for two more SSDs). I also use one obsolete (by nowadays standards) 32 bit PCI card: a dedicated soundcard.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 7 of 16, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my main rig, I have an Intel i210 PCIe NIC because later versions are not compatible with XP.

In my optical disc burning rig I have a PCIe IDE controller for my Plextor IDE drives.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed a wifi card in a PC the other day, even that used a m.2 for the actual wifi module.
I could have pulled the wifi module off and fit it to the empty m.2 slot on the motherboard if it wasn't for the areal connectors.

Reply 10 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loads of them.
Its only "primary devices" like NICs, disk controllers and stuck like that come onboard, if you want anything more youre still stuck with PCI in one form or another.

SAS RAID controller, iSCSI controller, TV cards, SDI, HDMI capture, sound, 1000, 10Gb NICs, 56k modem, Firewire card, mSATA adapter, USB 3.0, HP Z Turbo controller...
Thats just off the top of my head in the computers I have turned on around me right now.

Reply 11 of 16, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my main PC... none. Because all the PCI-e lanes are taken up by NVME drives. I have an ASUS Prime x470 Pro with two nvme slots and using both (with NVME rather than SATA) m.2 drives means I can't use any other PCI-e x1/4 slot. Also doesnt help the 6800XT in reality takes up the space of 4 slots once you've allowed some airflow!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 12 of 16, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess by "still" you mean old PCIe cards, since the standard itself is current.
I have a PCIe x1 USB 3.0 card which I bought for my former board which had none. Might move it to the new board at some point.

A while back I was thinking maybe I should've waited a bit longer for the PCIe variant of X-Fi, but ended up buying the PCI model. Now it's sitting in a box being useless, although the last time I used it on the old board under Windows 7 its drivers weren't good. No idea if it has changed for 10.

Almoststew1990 wrote on 2024-01-03, 08:06:

In my main PC... none. Because all the PCI-e lanes are taken up by NVME drives. I have an ASUS Prime x470 Pro with two nvme slots and using both (with NVME rather than SATA) m.2 drives means I can't use any other PCI-e x1/4 slot. Also doesnt help the 6800XT in reality takes up the space of 4 slots once you've allowed some airflow!

You sure? The first m.2 slot has its own 4 dedicated lanes connected directly to the CPU. The second m.2 is connected to the chipset, however, it only has 2 lanes and shares them only with PCIe x1_1 and 3.
PCIe x1_2 seems to have its own lane and PCIe x16_3 apparently can at least work at x2.

Reply 13 of 16, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't think I've ever had a PCI Express card, if we ignore all the "mini" and the M2 ones 😀

OK, my Dell 755 came (in 2021) with an ATI X3100 which is technically an upgrade over the integrated graphics, but the only reason I left it in was because it meant having DVI instead of just VGA while still having good multiplatform drivers (unlike the green brand which is in my blacklist since 2007, gave them a second chance and regretted it), 1 slot, no power cable, and no fan 😀

I did recently use a PCI capture card (a BT848 Avermedia) though!

If the minis count, then my laptop has a full length, top of the line 3x3 ath9k a/b/g/n wifi card, while the two most modern desktops have M2 NVME sticks...

Interestingly I found a well hidden box in the garage with what was left of our first-and-half PC (it broke and the motherboard, CPU, and who knows what were replaced by a local fly by night shop), well we ended up with an unremarkable PCI Sound Blaster (with the CD analog cable connected upside down) despite it having integrated audio!

Reply 14 of 16, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCIe cards I use are USB 3.0-, Wifi-, SAS-, FC-Controllers and Ethernet cards up to 10 GBit.
Do PCIe to M2SATA adapters count? I use these to keep the drive bays free for spinning drives.
Only one systems is young enough to use NVME in native PCIe, but 3 more are waiting for a BIOS mod to enable NVME-Boot