VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, after some time of not doing so, I decided to watch latest videos of The 8-Bit Guy and LGR. Instead of interesting content that we all used to see in the past years I wasted about 25 minutes of my life on a quite boring monologue of The 8-Bit Guy about how unfair the world is and that he finally decided to find a job. Another 10 or so minutes was wasted on LGR's review of The Sims 4 For Rent Expansion Pack, some nonsense expansion pack of the most boring game of all times (I know, there are many fans of this game and this is my personal opinion only). It turned out that it was the second review of The Sims in less than two weeks.

I don't know how about you, but I have a feeling that this year will become a year when the era of Retro Computing Youtube channels slowly but surely will start coming to its end.

Reply 1 of 407, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just don't watch it if its a video with a topic that don't interest you. That's what I do. Most channels will always have some videos that won't resonate with all subscribers/viewers.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 407, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:37:

Just don't watch it if its a video with a topic that don't interest you. That's what I do. Most channels will always have some videos that won't resonate with all subscribers/viewers.

And how about "Just don't tell me what to do"?

Seriously, let's respect each other. We are all adults and each one of us is able to decide without others help what to do and what not to do.

Reply 3 of 407, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil still makes good content.

And lately, I've been really enjoying repair focused retro channels like Necroware, vswitchzero, Bits und Bolts etc.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:46:

Seriously, let's respect each other. We are all adults and each one of us is able to decide without others help what to do and what not to do.

I dont see any disrespect there, just common sense.

/shrug

I assume you will also take that the wrong way.

Reply 5 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The retro channels have pretty much exploded on YouTube, to the point where I can't even watch them all anymore.
Maybe it's a bubble that is about to burst or it's growing even more, who knows.

The 8Bit Guy even said that is one of the reasons why his viewers are down so much - because of "saturation".

And I believe LGR mentioned in a comment somewhere that he doesn't really enjoy making the Sims videos, but some of his viewers really like them.

I'm gonna focus on the retro channels that are most interesting to me and just ignore the rest of the ones the algorithm aggressively tries to push on me. There are only so many videos I want to watch about the C64, for example. There's a lot of repetitive content out there. It reminds me of 10 years back, when everyone and their dog were making videos about the NES. AVGN kind of started it and suddenly it was the hot topic for everybody else. To be honest, it was a little bit annoying - but that content has slowed down a lot, so I guess this will eventually happen with Win9x2000s era retro content, too, when people stop watching it.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 6 of 407, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:59:

The retro channels have pretty much exploded on YouTube, to the point where I can't even watch them all anymore.

The same has happened with many other types of stuffs. Education, entertainment, vlogs, gaming, etc. For the first one at least, there's going to a big profit hammered.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 8Bit Guy even said that is one of the reasons why his viewers are down so much - because of "saturation".

If there is competition... there is choice...

Would you stop using a product that you really like, just to buy another one?

Just saying...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 8 of 407, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:52:

Phil still makes good content.

And lately, I've been really enjoying repair focused retro channels like Necroware, vswitchzero, Bits und Bolts etc.

Yes, there are many other Youtube channels with quite interesting contents but The 8-Bit Guy and LGR are one of the top Retro Computing Youtube channels.

Reply 9 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saturation might've been one reason for his viewcount and revenue to go down - but for me, personally, the content just got very boring.

I enjoyed the videos he made many years ago, where he restored really dirty computers and started the "retrobrighting" trend that even spawned a lot of memes.

But I personally found the videos about his weirdly overpriced 8bit console, the crappy mini versions of old computers and vintage CRT monitors just very boring.
If I want CRT content I watch Adrian Black, it's just much more interesting.

And four parts about Petscii Robots? Yeah, it's a cool game but that's just too much, man.
I think a big part of his "downfall" is the fact that other people now produce the same content, but much more in-depth and professional.
Remember when he shorted out that rare warehouse computer because he was rushing production? 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 10 of 407, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think thats the 8 bit guy just being the 8 bit guy he whines alot, AdriansDigitalBasment and TechTimeTraveler plus RMC and stuff seem to be doing alright.

Reply 11 of 407, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it's a bubble that is about to burst or it's growing even more, who knows.

Yes, I also have a similar feeling.

Yeah, there was quite a long list of external factors.

And I believe LGR mentioned in a comment somewhere that he doesn't really enjoy making the Sims videos, but some of his viewers really like them.

Well, there are even more viewers who like some spicy content but It is quite strange to see someone doing what he doesn't enjoy.

I'm gonna focus on the retro channels that are most interesting to me and just ignore the rest of the ones the algorithm aggressively tries to push on me. There are only so many videos I want to watch about the C64, for example. There's a lot of repetitive content out there. It reminds me of 10 years back, when everyone and their dog were making videos about the NES. AVGN kind of started it and suddenly it was the hot topic for everybody else. To be honest, it was a little bit annoying - but that content has slowed down a lot, so I guess this will eventually happen with Win9x2000s era retro content, too, when people stop watching it.

I personally just make a search for the videos on the topics that interest me. But there are some top quality Youtube channels like The 8-Bit Guy and LGR, that I enjoy watching and discover new things.

Last edited by ThinkpadIL on 2024-01-04, 11:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 407, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is my observation as well that many popular channels have degraded their quality by a significant amount. To the point that I scrolled back to previous videos to see if it's just me, or older videos were really more interesting.

It's the way newer videos are made, I don't really want to mention examples as these guys can do whatever they want or feel is better for their channel.
And as long as I can choose not to waste my time on videos that barely scratch the surface of a topic with random mumbling and random clicking, it's fair.

Another thing I'm noticing is that there is an increase of good quality, smaller, less popular and less professional channels, where creators focus more on the actual content than their acting and coolness.

Reply 13 of 407, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never watched 8 bit guys videos often as 80's computers aren't really my thing, but I stopped watching his videos altogether after finding out a bit of what kind of person he actually is. Let's just say I don't agree with some of his world views.

I miss the old LGR, full of passion and genuine love for old computer stuff. Now I often get the feeling like he really wishes he had something else in his life, almost like his channel is keeping him hostage and he can't get out even though he might want to. Seems downright depressed at times, I hope the guy is ok.

Reply 14 of 407, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is only so much to tell about retro stuff. Most things are already discussed by several creators from different angles. Telling something new and interesting to someone who spent years in the hobby is not easy.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 15 of 407, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The retro channels have pretty much exploded on YouTube, to the point where I can't even watch them all anymore. Maybe it's a bu […]
Show full quote

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, I think.
LGR's channel is 15+ years old by now and still being active. That's quite notable, I think.
Many TV shows didn't last that long.

Also problematic is the audience. It has become somewhat spoiled, the expectancy is somewhat high.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a home video of a private youtube user who filmed himself/herself with a shaky camera and saying "Hi there! This is Dennis and today I'm working on my vintage PC that I got from my big brother 15 years ago.
It's right there in the corner, let's have a look inside. Wait a moment. [sets down camera] *grrr* *ksch* *shrrr* [takes camera] Oh! It seems I broke something. Sooory!"

The real YouTube is no more, unfortunately. It's rare that you see ordinary people filming their hobby or telling a story, as if it's a family video.

No, these days there's a pressure to do everything perfect, to put something in the spotlight. It's all a show.

Under those conditions, it's not easy to enjoy what you do.
You do nolonger make the video to share your enthusiasm with others. Rather, you try to satisfy the audience.

Which is kind of fed up already. They see the result, but not what it took to make it happen.
The struggles and the failures.

The internet has become a place in which we share our stories of success, but are afraid to admit failures. Because, no one wants to be seen as a loser.

Merely a few YouTube stars do show their failures, but even then they usually do it after they figured out the solution.

There are exceptions, of course and I do highly value those individuals who have the guts to do so.

That being said, I didn't watch these specific episodes.
But if they were made around Christmas, I can understand if there's a bad mood.

To many, Christmas is the most wonderful, the most magical time of the year.

A time we enjoy the most, a time we *must* enjoy the most. Because everyone wants happiness.

But to many of us, it's a very sad time really.
It's a time when you realize who's around you and who isn't anymore.

You remember how Christmas used to be, and how it's now.

You look for your beloved cat or dog, want to hug it, just to realize it has passed years ago.
All that remains is an old picture frame. No more hugs.

Or you think now it's a great time to bake some Christmas cookies and are going to call your grandma, just to realize she's long gone.

Very often, Christmas is one of the cruelest times a year.

You may be heartbroken and depressed, but you can not talk about it. Not in the Christmas time, at least.

Because, otherwise people will blame you for being a killjoy.
They don't want to be bothered with your feelings.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 407, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2024-01-04, 11:42:

I never watched 8 bit guys videos often as 80's computers aren't really my thing, but I stopped watching his videos altogether after finding out a bit of what kind of person he actually is. Let's just say I don't agree with some of his world views.

This is exactly why I try to avoid learning about actors personalities. We are all imperfect and once you know a dark sides of some good actors you can't keep on enjoying his works anymore which is very sad.

I miss the old LGR, full of passion and genuine love for old computer stuff. Now I often get the feeling like he really wishes he had something else in his life, almost like his channel is keeping him hostage and he can't get out even though he might want to. Seems downright depressed at times, I hope the guy is ok.

Yes, sometimes I also have the same feeling. Retro Computing, as I see it, is quite a niche hobby which in addition is also very dynamic - today you are into 80's computers, tomorrow you're into video game consoles and the next month you're done with all that stuff. So making from this kind of a hobby a full time job is quite a risky decision.

Reply 17 of 407, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:46:

If you don't want people telling you what to do then don't complain in a public forum.

No one is entitled to a submissive audience for their venting

Reply 18 of 407, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like him. I found his video about the revenue drop referenced in the OP to be honest and genuine without being excessively whiny.

If you do anything professionally long enough, you will start to resent it eventually. "Find a job you love, never work... blah blah" is total bullshit

Reply 19 of 407, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-01-04, 11:21:

I think thats the 8 bit guy just being the 8 bit guy he whines alot, AdriansDigitalBasment and TechTimeTraveler plus RMC and stuff seem to be doing alright.

ADBs newest repair videos have become excessively sloppy and half assed in my opinion. Making a lot of careless and easily avoidable soldering mistakes. Made me take a break from his show.