VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 122 of 407, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only YouTube channels I ever really check often are LGR and VWestlife.

I've mostly just been sticking with Twitch and the "retro community" there as it's called. I stream some old stuff myself, but I'm too scary and abrasive to watch.

The thing I don't understand about the gripes about LGR's content; you can only review something once right? Go back years and years and look at all the old weird MS-DOS stuff he's reviewed. He already reviewed it, he can't just keep doing a video on it constantly over and over. Maybe a retrospective, sure... but you can't just review something twice-over repetitively either way.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 123 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-01-12, 12:05:

The thing I don't understand about the gripes about LGR's content; you can only review something once right? Go back years and years and look at all the old weird MS-DOS stuff he's reviewed. He already reviewed it, he can't just keep doing a video on it constantly over and over. Maybe a retrospective, sure... but you can't just review something twice-over repetitively either way.

one thing that has changed on youtube (actually it changed years ago...) is that the common format now is to release regular "episodes" with emphasis on "this week" as if its TV. This does have the effect of people coming back regularly and ups the views i suppose but i like to use youtube less as a "what's been released this week" and more as a library

search results arent always good at including very relevant older videos, but there are gems out there (and often very useful how to type vids that can date all the way to 2006)

and yes, LGR has done some topics - no need to do them again, they are still there to watch and still good

Reply 124 of 407, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2024-01-12, 13:16:

search results arent always good at including very relevant older videos, but there are gems out there (and often very useful how to type vids that can date all the way to 2006)

YouTube's search is borderline useless unless you prefix every search with allintitle: so that it's more likely to actually return the video you're looking for. (It still sucks but it sucks a lot less doing it this way)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 126 of 407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2024-01-13, 08:25:

I wish there was a way to search YT by exact title, excluding all words not in the searchstring. Such a simple thing to implement.

That makes too much sense for Youtube, to be honest...

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 127 of 407, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2024-01-12, 13:16:
one thing that has changed on youtube (actually it changed years ago...) is that the common format now is to release regular "ep […]
Show full quote

one thing that has changed on youtube (actually it changed years ago...) is that the common format now is to release regular "episodes" with emphasis on "this week" as if its TV. This does have the effect of people coming back regularly and ups the views i suppose but i like to use youtube less as a "what's been released this week" and more as a library

and yes, LGR has done some topics - no need to do them again, they are still there to watch and still good

Youtube "rewards" creators who upload on a regular basis.
It doesnt need to be every day but it does need to be regular and consistent to register on the algorithm.

Reply 128 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually wish LGR would remake some of his old videos (e.g. stuff that's 10+ years old).

His production quality has improved dramatically over the years and I'd love to see him revisit some of the older reviews with his newer format.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 129 of 407, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually just watch some old stuff for nostalgia and wait something new from RedLetterMedia. All good and interesting stuff have been done. Well i do have limits of my interest. Commodore 64 and Amiga are interesting, i have always been a PC man. But watching someone tinker with a Pong machine or an Atari 2600. Not my cup of tea. And i did have a Atari clone once before gitting a NES Famiclone.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 130 of 407, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-14, 14:51:

I actually wish LGR would remake some of his old videos (e.g. stuff that's 10+ years old).

His production quality has improved dramatically over the years and I'd love to see him revisit some of the older reviews with his newer format.

Yeah, like I said; a retrospective review would be alright considering he's changed over the years in terms of production quality & style.

At the very least he should review Terraria again because at the time he did his video, Terraria was much... much rudimentary than it is now.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 131 of 407, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One allmost universal anoyance. Why the hell do many nerd youtubers have to drink beer or soda all the time? Does it make them somehow extra cool? Especially LGR and AVGN, but seen it with other nerd culture youtubers. Do something cooler drink whiskey, snort coke idk....

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 132 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2024-01-14, 19:16:

One allmost universal anoyance. Why the hell do many nerd youtubers have to drink beer or soda all the time? Does it make them somehow extra cool? Especially LGR and AVGN, but seen it with other nerd culture youtubers. Do something cooler drink whiskey, snort coke idk....

Maybe speaking a lot makes you thisty?
Promotion?
They want to influence the (younger) audience?
A bad habit / addiction?

I guess we will never know...

I have another point that makes me turn off a video instantly:
If a youtuber uses "All right" and/or "as you can see" more then once, i have to turn off the video.
"as you can see"... YES I CAN SEE IT... its a video.

I dont know where it came from that that especially these words have to be used by basically any youtuber.

If your main career is speaking in the internet, you should consider getting good at it.

If you watch a video from Adrians digital basement and drink a shot for every "all right", you are drunk before you even know what the video is about...

Last edited by DerBaum on 2024-01-14, 19:58. Edited 2 times in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 134 of 407, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate watching (and especially listening to) people eat and drink. I can't stand that stuff being in a video, regardless of what they are consuming.

Reply 135 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-14, 19:47:
Maybe speaking a lot makes you thisty? Promotion? They want to influence the (younger) audience? A bad habit / addiction? […]
Show full quote

Maybe speaking a lot makes you thisty?
Promotion?
They want to influence the (younger) audience?
A bad habit / addiction?

I guess we will never know...

I have another point that makes me turn off a video instantly:
If a youtuber uses "All right" and/or "as you can see" more then once, i have to turn off the video.
"as you can see"... YES I CAN SEE IT... its a video.

I dont know where it came from that that especially these words have to be used by basically any youtuber.

If your main career is speaking in the internet, you should consider getting good at it.

If you watch a video from Adrians digital basement and drink a shot for every "all right", you are drunk before you even know what the video is about...

My pet peeve is when they tell you to ask you to like and subscribe. I know how YouTube works, so I don't need you to remind me. It's so presumptuous and I find it irritating when I hear something like:

"Don't forget to like and subscribe. Smash that notification bell."

A similar one is "tell me what you think in the comments ". I don't mind if they actually respond to comments, but a lot of YouTubers just say that because videos with more engagement are promoted by the algorithm.

Reply 136 of 407, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Craft Computing has actually made a thing of doing exactly that.

Reply 137 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Especially LGR and AVGN, but seen it with other nerd culture youtubers. Do something cooler drink whiskey, snort coke idk....

For AVGN, he's playing a character so I can forgive that.

But I agree that otherwise it's a bit silly, unless it was part of an extended livestream or something.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 139 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-14, 20:39:

My pet peeve is when they tell you to ask you to like and subscribe. I know how YouTube works, so I don't need you to remind me. It's so presumptuous and I find it irritating when I hear something like:

"Don't forget to like and subscribe. Smash that notification bell."

A similar one is "tell me what you think in the comments ". I don't mind if they actually respond to comments, but a lot of YouTubers just say that because videos with more engagement are promoted by the algorithm.

yes! and if so then I will decide if I "smash" or just lightly click it! i hate that "high impact, call to action" marketing type talk

and also yes - "tell me in comments", hardly ever read, just more "engage the market, create a community, leverage some crap to get more money"

although, some actually do talk in comments, or at least like lost of responses, so they're ok (although some probably have to speed-like dozens of posts almost randomly! ) 😀

also some comment on other's videos - that can be nice, more than once i've seen LGR do that - but why does that post by itself attract sometimes hundreds of responses from randoms! I'm ok with "hey lgr showed up" posts but others really try and "engage" immediately and flood the thread