VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 200 of 407, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Max Thanks for the info, though. I think I understand now (partially).
So something like a verbal warning or a warning shot is needed over the big pond, too..

Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2024-01-22, 14:50:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-01-22, 08:02:

His next video, I suppose, will be 'Can I last a month on the revenues from 'Can I go for 24hrs on battery power?' video?'

The thing is, it's actually a fascinating topic, especially as the rate of environmental disasters damaging infrastructure increases. But yeah, in a practical test, his setup would be like this:

I second that. An electric generator might be a alternative, too. Some use petrol, some diesel.
There are smaller generators used by preppers, hams etc. They're also handy in winter, to operate electric heaters if the gas heating doesn't work.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 201 of 407, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-22, 15:48:

I second that. An electric generator might be a alternative, too. Some use petrol, some diesel.
There are smaller generators used by preppers, hams etc. They're also handy in winter, to operate electric heaters if the gas heating doesn't work.

Def, I'm far from having chunks of my whole home running of battery banks the size of the fridge, but even just 'Power Delivery' tech has given some impressive options. I even got a nice USBC 20v cable that convers to the barrel jack for my non-Power Delivery laptop to charge it. That and some other banks and devices and even some battery powered LED lanterns for light. Enough to ensure there's light to read by and a device powered for some entertainment while everyone huddles in one room with every blanket in the cold.

Reply 202 of 407, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few nuggets.

Gun laws, owning pittbulls, legalizing drugs, abortion rights, free speetch/hate speetch, religion/atheism/extrmism. Everything has a reasonable middleground. Everytime some political discusion arises, there are only extreme right or extreme left opinions and arguments. And absolutely nobody changes hes mind and tries to rationalize his own beliefs. I will say, they are both crazy and unreasonable in some cases.

Every mentally ill criminal idiot should not open carry. Of cource. But the debade about assault rifle and homedefence/hunting rifle is honestly idiotic. And usually most dangerous individuals are with concealed handguns, that they have aquired illegally. Strictest gun laws? What american cities? Most gun violence cities? I am wainting... Enlighten me. 👌

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 203 of 407, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:52:

Phil still makes good content.

And lately, I've been really enjoying repair focused retro channels like Necroware, vswitchzero, Bits und Bolts etc.

Yeah, pretty much this.
I assume some of the bigger channels just don't want to repeat anything and are finding it difficult to create "new" content without re-treading old ground.
I still find Adrian's Digital Basement and Phil's channel to be informative and interesting.
There are a few other smallers channels like you mentioned, including CPU Galaxy, RetroSpector to name a few that I regularly watch as well.

Reply 204 of 407, by MyOcSlaps6502

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not for me, I find plenty to watch. I don't really enjoy those plentiful restoration or benchmark videos unless there's a personal experience or historical perspective to it, I also like a bit of ramble. Smaller channels doing this are plentiful. My favorite bigger vintage computing youtube personality is without a doubt cathode ray dude. He's had some issues lately though so hopefully he doesn't come crashing down

I only really watch 8 bit guy when it's historical and there's not been much of that lately. Also 8bit keys is dead. But some few big channels being less interesting to me doesn't really make me feel like some kind of era change is happening

Reply 205 of 407, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Cyberdyne Hm. I think it's difficult to discuss these things for several reasons.
Especially for foreigners like me, who grew up with drastically different points of views here and there.
No matter how much careful and respectful we try to participate discussions, the next mine is not far.

Culture is a big part of it, too, I suppose. There's so much diversity around the globe, for example.
And it seems to me that the states are very different to the rest of the world sometimes.
Their tipping culture, for example. Or that dating "market", nudity vs violence, gun laws, *Christian beliefs vs science, concept of passive aggressiveness, honest opinion vs strong opinion etc, genders..

So it's understandable if their citizens don't like criticism that comes from external.
Everything different from the outside (esp. social networks) must feel like a personal attack on fundamental beliefs.

Before globalization, before the internet, that nation more or less lived in its own bubble.
There was no constant comparison to how other countries (successfully) handle certain things in a different way (prisons, public transport, healthcare etc).

Another factor is that that country seems to be glued together by patriotism (near unknown concept to my fellow countrymen and me except for soccer/fball, we're used to be the bad guys) and Christian religion ("one nation under god").
If they lose faith into their nation, everything might fall apart. That's also dangerous for us, the rest of the world.

That's why it's so worrying that the, um, stereotypical, slightly naive US American optimism of past days is dwindling (if I may call it that way).
Since 911 that country seems to be stuck in some kind of paralysis or existential crysis. Or so it seems from the far.

The generations that are growing up now are too worried, too hopeless, too negative.
Or simply mental. Sorry, but I simply don't find nice words for this one.
They also don't seem to have emotional antibodies (ability to handle criticism or authority without feeling deeply hurt).

But exactly an relaxed, positive "yes we can" mentality is something that could change things for the better.
Simply because of re-appearance of humor and because it creates things. It did in the past, at least.
I often think that country needs something to aim for again, a glimmer of hope. But not another war, please.
It would help the citizens to set aside all those homemade problems and arguments for a moment.
Maybe the new moon landings that are being planned will be one of those things?

Anyway, I'm afraid that's all I can say to this topic anymore. Maybe it was too much already. :(

(*Those many Jesus believers in the YT comment section do irriate me, btw. Jokes and parodies about God/Jesus/Moses are not too uncommon in my country.)

Edit:

Jasin Natael wrote on 2024-01-23, 18:40:
Yeah, pretty much this. I assume some of the bigger channels just don't want to repeat anything and are finding it difficult to […]
Show full quote
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:52:

Phil still makes good content.

And lately, I've been really enjoying repair focused retro channels like Necroware, vswitchzero, Bits und Bolts etc.

Yeah, pretty much this.
I assume some of the bigger channels just don't want to repeat anything and are finding it difficult to create "new" content without re-treading old ground.
I still find Adrian's Digital Basement and Phil's channel to be informative and interesting.
There are a few other smallers channels like you mentioned, including CPU Galaxy, RetroSpector to name a few that I regularly watch as well.

Speaking of lesser known channels, there's one 90s themed channel that's very funny/humorous. It's entirely unrelated to this discussion here and I'm not affiliated.
I've just stumbled upon it a few days ago. It's certainly worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/@skycorphomevideo/videos

Some of those videos are amazing. I had to laugh so hard. 😂

PS: I wish everyone here a nice week. And a late happy new 2024! ^^

PS/2: Maybe that's fitting, too: Less popular Youtube channels

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 206 of 407, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2024-01-22, 10:04:

The gun issue is similar to the dangerous dog issue. Certain breeds are notorious for attacking people, especially children. Whenever there's such an attack, you hear calls for such breeds to be banned. This naturally riles up responsible dog owners, who train and socialize their animals correctly, but face the prospect of their pets being destroyed because of the actions of irresponsible dog owners.

Or in the case of remote state parks large man eating creatures are brought in off leash and somebody somewhere gets mauled, decades later this is then used to ban all dogs including my 5lb dog in other parks randomly across the region, the parks don’t advertise the dog ban, people visit the remote park in summer encounter an officer that forces them to put the dog in their car until they leave the area to a dog zone miles away and in some cases their car runs out of gas while they hike and the dog dies from heat exhaustion and more frustrating they are 30 miles from fuel.

This is why broad blanket laws despite being easy can be bad. The law should target the problematic individuals large/specific breeds but this rarely happens. And yeah I would support banning all dangerous breeds of dogs because I’ve seen too many situations where the dog was always friendly until it snaps and kills the owner . Similar to why you don’t own wolf pups.

In terms of gun law all for it, true hunters can make due with antique single shot guns, military grade weapons aren’t needed or even useful to hunt with.

The arguments that the constitution prevents gun controls are based on a recent faulty interpretation of 18th century language .
One of the guys who had a hand in writing the constitution later became a judge with a case before him claiming a particular state could not interfere with individuals owning a particular type of weapon due to the 2nd am , he threw the case out as it only applies to state militias and his precedent was continually upheld throughout 2003.
One good example is the long standing ban on sawed off shotguns, that has gone to the Supreme Court many times over the years and was always rejected on the grounds that an individual isn’t a militia.

Sadly we currently are going crazy due to the steady march to eliminate the middle class and people are being distracted by unimportant shiny objects instead of actually trying to fix our broken 2 party system for something better so each group can be more accurately represented.

Reply 207 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-01-24, 06:03:
Or in the case of remote state parks large man eating creatures are brought in off leash and somebody somewhere gets mauled, de […]
Show full quote
Errius wrote on 2024-01-22, 10:04:

The gun issue is similar to the dangerous dog issue. Certain breeds are notorious for attacking people, especially children. Whenever there's such an attack, you hear calls for such breeds to be banned. This naturally riles up responsible dog owners, who train and socialize their animals correctly, but face the prospect of their pets being destroyed because of the actions of irresponsible dog owners.

Or in the case of remote state parks large man eating creatures are brought in off leash and somebody somewhere gets mauled, decades later this is then used to ban all dogs including my 5lb dog in other parks randomly across the region, the parks don’t advertise the dog ban, people visit the remote park in summer encounter an officer that forces them to put the dog in their car until they leave the area to a dog zone miles away and in some cases their car runs out of gas while they hike and the dog dies from heat exhaustion and more frustrating they are 30 miles from fuel.

This is why broad blanket laws despite being easy can be bad. The law should target the problematic individuals large/specific breeds but this rarely happens. And yeah I would support banning all dangerous breeds of dogs because I’ve seen too many situations where the dog was always friendly until it snaps and kills the owner . Similar to why you don’t own wolf pups.

In terms of gun law all for it, true hunters can make due with antique single shot guns, military grade weapons aren’t needed or even useful to hunt with.

The arguments that the constitution prevents gun controls are based on a recent faulty interpretation of 18th century language .
One of the guys who had a hand in writing the constitution later became a judge with a case before him claiming a particular state could not interfere with individuals owning a particular type of weapon due to the 2nd am , he threw the case out as it only applies to state militias and his precedent was continually upheld throughout 2003.
One good example is the long standing ban on sawed off shotguns, that has gone to the Supreme Court many times over the years and was always rejected on the grounds that an individual isn’t a militia.

Sadly we currently are going crazy due to the steady march to eliminate the middle class and people are being distracted by unimportant shiny objects instead of actually trying to fix our broken 2 party system for something better so each group can be more accurately represented.

2024 is looking to be one hell of a year for the US and the rest of the world, my only hope is counties keep their cool and try to get along.

Would be nice to get this thread back on track .. this whole gun thing seems to have taken the thread over, as an Aussie I have no stake in the argument but it might be a better topic for other places.

Reply 208 of 407, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-24, 07:15:

Would be nice to get this thread back on track ..

Totally agree.

I have several passions and interests beside retro-computing and I follow many content creators on those different topics. My observation is that many content creators and channels are struggling right now.

From what I understand it's now very difficult to make a living out of Youtube revenues only (even with undisclosed commercial partnerships) , even for creators with millions of subscribers. I don't know the reasons but I'm guessing it's a combination of: less views because of competition which leads to less ads revenue, more demanding viewers expecting professional video editing, pressure to publish at least 1 video per week if not more, never ending quest for making a "buzzing" video, etc. etc.

Clearly all of this can lead those content creators to deviate significantly from their original editorial line and to exhaustion or burn out. In my view what once could have seemed to be a dream job is clearly no more.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 209 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MyOcSlaps6502 wrote on 2024-01-23, 21:35:

My favorite bigger vintage computing youtube personality is without a doubt cathode ray dude.

Same here. It's one of those channels where I really feel the passion of the creator. CRD can talk about a Boot Manager for over an hour and it stays interesting. kudos to that.

I also like to be surprised and every video from him is a big surprise. You never know what kind of thing he'll be talking about next.

Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-24, 01:39:

Speaking of lesser known channels, there's one 90s themed channel that's very funny/humorous.

And here's a 2000's themed one from a creator pretending to be an E-Girl who has travelled back in time:

https://www.youtube.com/@brahkie

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 210 of 407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't know about Cathod Ray Dude until this thread introduced me to him. Thanks guys, subscribed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 211 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mtest001 wrote on 2024-01-24, 07:51:

I have several passions and interests beside retro-computing and I follow many content creators on those different topics. My observation is that many content creators and channels are struggling right now.

From what I understand it's now very difficult to make a living out of Youtube revenues only (even with undisclosed commercial partnerships) , even for creators with millions of subscribers. I don't know the reasons but I'm guessing it's a combination of: less views because of competition which leads to less ads revenue, more demanding viewers expecting professional video editing, pressure to publish at least 1 video per week if not more, never ending quest for making a "buzzing" video, etc. etc.

Clearly all of this can lead those content creators to deviate significantly from their original editorial line and to exhaustion or burn out. In my view what once could have seemed to be a dream job is clearly no more.

i think you're right - there are more adverts than ever but most are skipped (I think that reduces revenue, not 100% sure) and there are just more options all round, advertising effectiveness is less perhaps so they also pay less for time

channels can make money, some quite small ones seem to have lots of 'patreons' and sponsors plus somehow getting other merch and things going. channels good at that are never interesting to me though, it's too much like commercial tv shows

youtube is very geared to frequent 'new' releases too, but for me i am happy to see a video from any time. someone reviewing or going through a how to is fine if it dates from 2010, 2020 or 2024 really

Reply 212 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since youtube forces me to watch ads i am pretty annoyed by ads before the video, during the video and after the video IN ADDITION to Ads from the youtubers themselves.
Its ADCEPTION!
Pimp My Video... I heard you like Ads ... so i put ads in your ads.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 213 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-26, 12:35:

Since youtube forces me to watch ads

Use the "UBlock Origin" browser extension and keep its filters up-to-date and you can watch YouTube ad-free.
For ads embedded into the video you can use "SponsorBlock" which will automatically skip them.

I had a YT Premium account for over a year, but they raised the price to a ridiculous amount a few weeks ago and that was too much for me.

Reply 214 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2024-01-26, 13:07:
Use the "UBlock Origin" browser extension and keep its filters up-to-date and you can watch YouTube ad-free. For ads embedded in […]
Show full quote

Use the "UBlock Origin" browser extension and keep its filters up-to-date and you can watch YouTube ad-free.
For ads embedded into the video you can use "SponsorBlock" which will automatically skip them.

I had a YT Premium account for over a year, but they raised the price to a ridiculous amount a few weeks ago and that was too much for me.

Its 17 a month here in Australia .. pretty reasonable for a streaming service, I spend more at McDonalds in a week than the cost of YT Premium so 17 a month isn't expensive.

Hmm Germany its 13 Euro which is around 21.50 AUD ... which is kinda expensive, wonder why the EU got slapped with higher prices, still I doubt 13 Euro a month is a deal breaker for most, I bet a good cup of coffee is more expensive.

I do use Ublock Origin on PC but I also use YT on mobile devices which is why I have it since ad blocking on mobile devices is just a complete pain in the arse.

Reply 215 of 407, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think tubers have a hard time reinventing themselves because the content is very niche, and when they try to make other content like 8bit guy's solar panels people jump to the comments to complain. They don't have a large crew behind them so it is probably hard to know what people will like, making you somewhat careful, and boring after a few years if they don't expand like any other business.

It is also possible that many of these guys are really burned out. It was kind of painful to watch Adrian Black do a video where he was obviously ill. He probably used to work two jobs for years and that's not easy on your health in the long term.

What I personally long for is educational videos like the 8bit guy's videos on storage media, or LGRs historical videos on different computer companies etc.. But those kind of videos probably take ages to produce and maybe it is too much work for what YouTube pays, idk.

On a side note: Epictronics is a good channel if you like to watch near impossible repair work by the way. Usually live streams on Fridays I believe.

Reply 216 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-26, 13:15:

I bet a good cup of coffee is more expensive.

In a world full of subscriptions where even the heating system in your car can be a monthly payment I have to carefully decide where I put my money into.
Google has slowly crept up Youtube's price because "it's just a dollar more" and most people keep paying it. But they did it while also slowing down the website for other browsers than Chrome, forcing excessive ads on people and alltogether being a shitty company in general by trying to introduce more DRM into Chrome and threatening the free web as it stands right now.

It's something I am against by principle, so I'm pirating that stuff. I would probably have kept my YT subscription if the company didn't behave like they did.

The site itself is getting more shitty by the month, too. The search system is completely broken, the homepage recommends me a lot of videos I have already watched (most irritating feature ever) and those pesky Shorts can go to hell. They're actively enshittifying YouTube. It will probably take many more years, but ultimately they will make it so bad that alternatives will emerge. The cycle of almost every platform that depends on ever increasing revenue.

Reply 218 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Its 17 a month here in Australia .. pretty reasonable for a streaming service, I spend more at McDonalds in a week than the cost […]
Show full quote
Use the "UBlock Origin" browser extension and keep its filters up-to-date and you can watch YouTube ad-free. For ads embedded in […]
Show full quote

Its 17 a month here in Australia .. pretty reasonable for a streaming service, I spend more at McDonalds in a week than the cost of YT Premium so 17 a month isn't expensive.

Hmm Germany its 13 Euro which is around 21.50 AUD ... which is kinda expensive, wonder why the EU got slapped with higher prices, still I doubt 13 Euro a month is a deal breaker for most, I bet a good cup of coffee is more expensive.

I do use Ublock Origin on PC but I also use YT on mobile devices which is why I have it since ad blocking on mobile devices is just a complete pain in the arse.

When did a cup of coffee become the standard of justifying paying for something? I doubt that most people buy a cup everyday (-:

It's like the movie comparison. People will sell a game by saying it's cheaper than bringing a family to a movie.

Maybe it's that a don't drink coffee and rarely go to movies, but I've always wondered why those comparisons caught on.

Reply 219 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-26, 16:37:
When did a cup of coffee become the standard of justifying paying for something? I doubt that most people buy a cup everyday (-: […]
Show full quote
Its 17 a month here in Australia .. pretty reasonable for a streaming service, I spend more at McDonalds in a week than the cost […]
Show full quote

When did a cup of coffee become the standard of justifying paying for something? I doubt that most people buy a cup everyday (-:

It's like the movie comparison. People will sell a game by saying it's cheaper than bringing a family to a movie.

Maybe it's that a don't drink coffee and rarely go to movies, but I've always wondered why those comparisons caught on.

Much like people dont pay a subscription everyday, a 15 dollar sub once a month is still cheaper than a barista cup of coffee once a week. People bitch about monthly subscription costs but will happily go buy take out three times a week or coffee every day .. its bloody weird.

As for comparisons .. its relatable costs, people understand the cost of a coffee or take out and neither of which is an essential... just like a subscription but you can bet your ass that they will bitch about the subscription. Another point is that with rising costs take out is actually stupidly expensive ...for three people at McDonald's with large meals and no silly extras it'll still set you back a good 50 - 60 dollars and that's just for one visit yet its the 15 dollar sub once a month that catches the shit. (The Sub is actually far better value than the coffee or food, certainly far more entertainment value at any rate)

Just why. The hypocrisy is galling.

Is a subscription a damn bogey man or something ? or perhaps its the fact a huge corporation is behind it . .wait Starbucks, McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut hmm I wonder if they are huge corporations too.

-Edit, and you would be wrong about people buying coffee every day . .yes a LOT of people do exactly that.