VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 260 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dormcat wrote on 2024-02-05, 00:36:

I've seen several 1-2 minutes video with nothing but a Win9x startup -- no editing, no narration, no captions, not even system specs, yet those videos have tens of thousands view counts. 🙄

I occasionally get those types of videos popping up in my feed. The Youtube algorithm works in mysterious ways...

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 261 of 407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About 1 in 20 times the youtube algorithm makes a mistake and puts a video in the side-panel I would actually watch.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 262 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You watch one video on a topic or from a person, and YouTube thinks you want to be flooded with more of the same. It's annoying for shorts because I don't think you can block recommendations for the channel. At least I haven't noticed it for shorts.

Facebook Marketplace is really bad too. I keep getting recommendations for women's clothes because a local person sells "midi" dresses. I'm only interested in midi hardware. At this point in my life, I'm not looking to make any lifestyle changes. Lol.

Reply 263 of 407, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-05, 03:17:

Facebook Marketplace is really bad too. I keep getting recommendations for women's clothes because a local person sells "midi" dresses. I'm only interested in midi hardware.

I wonder if there's cute clothes available for MIDI hardware. Hmm, maybe an anthropomorphized project...... 😆

Wait, there ARE some Japanese examples:
https://www.foriio.com/works/144877
https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/seiga/im6379784
https://mixi.jp/view_community.pl?id=1592914

Reply 264 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2024-02-05, 03:29:
I wonder if there's cute clothes available for MIDI hardware. Hmm, maybe an anthropomorphized project...... :laughing: […]
Show full quote

Facebook Marketplace is really bad too. I keep getting recommendations for women's clothes because a local person sells "midi" dresses. I'm only interested in midi hardware.

I wonder if there's cute clothes available for MIDI hardware. Hmm, maybe an anthropomorphized project...... 😆

Wait, there ARE some Japanese examples:
https://www.foriio.com/works/144877
https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/seiga/im6379784
https://mixi.jp/view_community.pl?id=1592914

Now I'm trying to imagine a cute outfit for my SC-55 (-:

What have I started? Lol.

Reply 265 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You watch one video on a topic or from a person, and YouTube thinks you want to be flooded with more of the same. It's annoying for shorts because I don't think you can block recommendations for the channel. At least I haven't noticed it for shorts.

Facebook Marketplace is really bad too. I keep getting recommendations for women's clothes because a local person sells "midi" dresses. I'm only interested in midi hardware. At this point in my life, I'm not looking to make any lifestyle changes. Lol.

You can either choose to not show this pecific video in your recommendations or not to show this specific channel in your recommendations (3 dot menu when hovering over a videotitle in the recommendations) . Both options feel like they really work. At least for some time , when youtube recommends the same stuff again...

If i have to listen to more of these crappy AI generated voice channels with random stock videos i will go mad. Seriously mad.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 267 of 407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, I get smothered by floppy hats, then also clutch purses from searching handheld.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 268 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-02-05, 13:25:

You can either choose to not show this pecific video in your recommendations or not to show this specific channel in your recommendations (3 dot menu when hovering over a videotitle in the recommendations) . Both options feel like they really work. At least for some time , when youtube recommends the same stuff again...

If i have to listen to more of these crappy AI generated voice channels with random stock videos i will go mad. Seriously mad.

Is this available for shorts too? I haven't been able to find it, but maybe it's because I'm on mobile.

Reply 269 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShK wrote on 2024-02-05, 15:23:

Is there any alternative for Youtube? Vimeo is not that better either...

There aren't many alternatives with retro computing content. You can find some stuff on the Internet Archive, like old computer shows.

Reply 270 of 407, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I was producing a handful of videos a few years back I tried Rumble, but disliked their UI.

Reply 271 of 407, by ShK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-05, 17:46:

There aren't many alternatives with retro computing content. You can find some stuff on the Internet Archive, like old computer shows.

Yes, there is a lot of good stuff!

liqmat wrote on 2024-02-05, 18:20:

When I was producing a handful of videos a few years back I tried Rumble, but disliked their UI.

A new one for me but indeed, something unpleasant it has...

Reply 272 of 407, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-05, 17:44:

Is this available for shorts too? I haven't been able to find it, but maybe it's because I'm on mobile.

If you're on Android, you can use Revanced to remove Shorts from the official YouTube app.

There are also filters for uBlock Origin that remove Shorts. They may work on Firefox Mobile, but I've only tested them on desktop devices.

I don't care for them and I never will - whoever wants to watch shitty vertical videos should stick to Tiktok.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 273 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2024-02-05, 21:50:
If you're on Android, you can use Revanced to remove Shorts from the official YouTube app. […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-05, 17:44:

If you're on Android, you can use Revanced to remove Shorts from the official YouTube app.

There are also filters for uBlock Origin that remove Shorts. They may work on Firefox Mobile, but I've only tested them on desktop devices.

I don't care for them and I never will - whoever wants to watch shitty vertical videos should stick to Tiktok.

Yeah. I watch YouTube like I watch tv. I hate the vertical videos that barely take up the screen.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply 274 of 407, by megatog615

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-21, 20:16:

I also dislike seeing AI generated "art" in the thumbnail.

Unfortunately I'm seeing this a lot more lately with retro computing YouTubers and Twitter people and not enough backlash against it.

There's plenty of ways to make a thumbnail; we've had Paint since early Windows.

Reply 275 of 407, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly related to youtube but has to do with the discussion on how useless google search algorithm is.
Just tried searching how to get my external IP address and google basically told me to shove my fingers up my ass…
Seriously man, I hate the technological era we are right now 🙁

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    File size
    110.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 276 of 407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatog615 wrote on 2024-02-08, 01:52:

Unfortunately I'm seeing this a lot more lately with retro computing YouTubers and Twitter people and not enough backlash against it.

There's plenty of ways to make a thumbnail; we've had Paint since early Windows.

Get with the times.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 277 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-08, 08:38:
megatog615 wrote on 2024-02-08, 01:52:

Get with the times.

Nothing at all wrong with MS Paint, its small lightweight and importantly . .fast. 😜

Reply 278 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2024-02-08, 02:22:

Not exactly related to youtube but has to do with the discussion on how useless google search algorithm is.
Just tried searching how to get my external IP address and google basically told me to shove my fingers up my ass…

Google search has been awful for awhile now. It used to be a relatively unbiased search engine, but now the top resuls are often a bunch of sponsored content and other websites they choose to promote over others. Unfortunately, all of the alternatives have major drawbacks as well.

Reply 279 of 407, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-08, 09:39:
gaffa2002 wrote on 2024-02-08, 02:22:

Google search has been awful for awhile now. It used to be a relatively unbiased search engine, but now the top resuls are often a bunch of sponsored content and other websites they choose to promote over others. Unfortunately, all of the alternatives have major drawbacks as well.

On top of the sponsored content, there is the “AI” crappy attempts to make sense of what you wrote. Basically trying to manipulate users to make the “right” questions.
So instead of improving the results, they are changing the questions to match the bad results.
The saddest part of it all is that at some point things were working well, its not like the users are asking for a better product, they just want back functionality that was already there.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD