VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is been a long time since I messed with this (25 years)
I am interesting in setting up win98 file sharing. NOT getting on the internet....just file sharing.
Network card installed, bound to netbeui protocol, file sharing turned on, file folder shared
But when I click on network neighborhood says "unable to browse the network"
hmmm....something is being overlooked
Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there other machines on your network?

Network Neighborhood is not done by each machine, instead it looks to the Master Browser machine for guidance. This will usually be the first machine that's turned on.
If it's a windows 10 machine (for example), Network Neighborhood may not work on old machines.

Netbeui will only work with machines up to XP. Won't work with anything newer. And, even then, it will still need to be installed on each machine.

If you were planning on file sharing between Win7/10 and your Win98, you'll have to set up your 98 machine with a IPv4 TCP/IP address that's compatible with your network.

Last edited by Robbbert on 2024-01-15, 07:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easiest way is to replace netbeui with TCP/IP.

Browsing the network still doesn't work properly but you can access the share by entering the IP in the run box i.e. \\192.168.0.1
You can then browse all shares on that PC/NAS, etc.

You also want the workgroup and username to be the same across all machines

Reply 4 of 6, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Enabling SMB 1.x support on Win7 and Win10 may also be needed to make fileshares usable for W98.
M$ dropped support for the old protocols used by W9x due to security issues a while back,
but it can be activated again.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. An alternative is to use AppleTalk protocol. Apple Filing Protocol (AFP).
There's a DOS software for it which is compatible with Windows 3.1, and likely 9x.

Re: Best way to transfer files over a network in Windows 95?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

That might be convenient if the home network has old Macs or Apple IIGS'.

Using IPX/SPX, plain NetBIOS (NBF), NetBEUI or AppleTalk/AFP is safer than SMB, since they're meant for the LAN only (non routable).
SMB can also be contacted from the internet, because of its support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP and UDP.

Edit: There's also CIFS, the Common Internet File System . It's being used as a synonyme for SMB v1.
If you're working with Samba on Linux, you have to use "CIFS" in the config file to let it know you want it to use SMB1.

Edit: The old AppleTalk+AFP combo should be supported by MacOS X Panther (10.3) or Jaguar (10.2), still.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Off topic but typically I install both IPX and TCP on my Win9x-XP machines.
Mostly for file sharing and because entering a PC's IP address is easy will rely on TCP for copying files.
But as a bonus means I can play network games, Most of the time I don't have anyone to play with but can be useful say in Diablo as 2nd person become a mule account.
or play skirmish games even if no skirmish mode exists.