VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume many users here have at least purchased and used their laptop at some stages in their life. This is the first time for me to purchase and use my own laptop. So I would want to know the first things I should do after buying it.

I am assuming I should clone my initial partition state (what should I use?) so that in case of system restores, I get the cleanest partition possible. What are the other things that II should check and do? What things to do to get a good life (+ battery life) out of the notebook?

(+ I heard modern laptops have a MUX switch. How do I know if there's one? I am looking at the Acer Nitro 5 ANV15-51 currently, but idk if it has one)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A new computer you mean? Sure, do a full image with Clonezilla or the like (or just remove the original disk and put in yours), but that's only really useful if you need to make a warranty claim and have to deal against a stubborn operator,
as the next step would be a wipe and clean install, THAT's a clean slate you may want to backup (after updates and/or installing your main programs), definitely not the bloatware-loaded custom factory images 😀

For a "regular" rechargeable lithium battery (not the newer LiFePo4 ones, that AFAIK are not used in mass market consumer electronics)... charge often (but not ridiculously often) - "zero" or worse to ~20% and 90 to 100% (all numbers approximate) are worse than an equal-percentage use in the mid range, the better laptops have charge limiting options that can be useful for most people who mainly use them plugged in which can be useful with regards to this point;
if not using it for a long while, store at ~ 40% (and recheck every few months);

However, the battery is not just the cells but also a "smart" regulator (where smart tends to mean profit-optimizing), so you'll want to disregard the above advice and run it mostly down then to full every month or so (if tit doesn't happen in your usage pattern anyway), that way the adaptive definition of "full" and "empty" keeps an updated reference… in other words, we went from Ni-Cd batteries with the "memory effect" to much superior lithium batteries with a real memory so that "They" can try to enforce replacements, and not rarely Their replacement too 😀 🙁

Haven't bought (or recommended) a computer with dual GPUs since they were invented, but AFAIK it works a little differently than in the Vaios with the speed/stamina switch that pioneered them - one is always active because the internal monitor is connected directly to it, and you can choose (nowadays on a program by program basis) which one actually does the calculations 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zirkoni wrote on 2024-01-15, 13:23:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-15, 08:53:

I would want to know the first things I should do after buying it.

Wipe out Windows and install Linux.

And that's for my desktop 🤣

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As much as I don't really like Win10/11 reinstalling isn't much of an issue any more.
Don't see the need for cloning the original image. It's been a long time since anything useful has been on the original image that couldn't be downloaded from the web.

And windows now included a built-in tool wipe and reinstall a fresh version of windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/g … 0EBD=Windows_11

Reply 5 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-16, 00:10:
As much as I don't really like Win10/11 reinstalling isn't much of an issue any more. Don't see the need for cloning the origina […]
Show full quote

As much as I don't really like Win10/11 reinstalling isn't much of an issue any more.
Don't see the need for cloning the original image. It's been a long time since anything useful has been on the original image that couldn't be downloaded from the web.

And windows now included a built-in tool wipe and reinstall a fresh version of windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/g … 0EBD=Windows_11

I wasn't sure if current laptop providers include a disc with them, or some sort of media on the internet, since they don't have dvd drives anymore.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-16, 08:00:

I wasn't sure if current laptop providers include a disc with them, or some sort of media on the internet, since they don't have dvd drives anymore.

They don't but the reason is cheapness and that has been true since DVD-R became affordable: the Vaio FZ21M, which cost well more than an Apple equivalent (!!) in 2007, expected you to have 3 blank discs at 20 past midnight on Christmas too 😀

By itself, the OS can't really reinstall alone (there are some builtin repair/restore options, the evolution of 7's startup repair, that aren't very useful especially in the circumstances you may want to start over, but certainly are slow), that changes a bit if you have an image of a clean install which is what the manufacturer will have likely put somewhere on the disk, and a semi-hidden option allows you to get that on a DVD/USB, but as we've been saying, when it comes to usefulness for you, it's rarely if ever better than the official Microsoft clean install image that anyone can legally download for free from their website 😀

Yes, Windows is for all practical purposes shareware now (= free download + register it or get nags and limited features)!
Of course, as you may know, they have their vested interests in doing so (more, and more intrusive, than the classic "piracy → satisfied and knowledgeable user = free marketing for the actually profitable business market")…