VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon all.

I've been sorting through my driver collection, trying to put some order into it, and I stumbled on some files (creative labs drivers) that are present in .pvl format. A brief Google search didn't help me - it menstions an "Instalit" utility, but I couldn't find much info on it.

Bottom line is: Is it worth to save these files on my archive? Are they "unique" enough? Or are they most probably duplicates from "standard installation" drivers I most probably already have somewhere else?

Cheers!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative only used INSTALIT for their earlier floppy drivers ~1993-94. Commercial installation programs aren't very well documented in general as most only usually know about the ubiquitous ones (Installshield, Wise Installer etc). It also doesn't help there's different unrelated "Install It" programs with common text-mode interfaces (HPI (which Creative used), 2020 Software, and group m)

PVL's an archive format which is useless without the accompanying INSTALIT install program.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-02-07, 11:19:

Creative only used INSTALIT for their earlier floppy drivers ~1993-94. Commercial installation programs aren't very well documented in general as most only usually know about the ubiquitous ones (Installshield, Wise Installer etc). It also doesn't help there's different unrelated "Install It" programs with common text-mode interfaces (HPI (which Creative used), 2020 Software, and group m)

PVL's an archive format which is useless without the accompanying INSTALIT install program.

Thank you for the insight. I couldn't find much, and these .pvl files are standalone. There are other .pvl files along with an install.exe - maybe when installing, the install program will ask the user to insert the second disk containing the remaining .pvl files.

ADDENDUM: Just got the idea of trying the install program on Dosbox and that's it - it asks for the accessories disk.

My doubt is cleared. Thank you very much!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org