VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it is time to build ourselves cheap, dual core system for stupid speed in windows 98, xp gaming and also with the ability to run modern operator systems.

Uhm.. Modern? Is he on drugs, you think? (No only Swedish snus.)

I'm talking about Haiku which is actually quite snappy on dual core systems. Tripple booting haiku, xp and windows 98. Yeah baby, yeah! Those teapots are spinning!

I don't own any system complete like this. I also don't remember the era because I was a dirt poor student at the time.

But, let's learn! AMD or intel? What is the coolest motherboards? I also have a feeling this is the time where laptops became somewhat good for gaming.

What systems of this era do you own?

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The early dual core era was less stupid speed and more stupid crashes as many of the mid-XP era games weren't all too fond of another core and it's a habit of affinity disabling. The extra cores will mean nothing to Win9x (and probably would improve game compatibility in comparison for it).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2024-02-11, 07:46:

What systems of this era do you own?

Just this one. It can run most Win9x games released before 2002 fully maxed out at 1600x1200 with AA and AF cranked up as desired. That was my main goal for building it. There are some compatibility issues like missing support for table fog and paletted textures, but otherwise, it's been an amazing ride. Heck, it can even run late DOS games ok-ish due to the Audigy's SB16 emulation.

Early WinXP stuff runs well enough on that system too. Thing is, most XP era games run even better on something like an i5 Ivy Bridge with a GTX 980.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I know windows 98 wont use the second core. Still one of those core are probably even quicker than my pentium m computer(s), yeah I have a thing for socket 479 and especially the ct-479 adapter I bought a few years ago.

Would be interesting to see how they compare!

How was AMD 64 bit processors doing during this time compared to intel?

Any specific motherboards to look for?

Reply 4 of 8, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dont know if my system in sig qualifies, but I have been running this hobby project of mine since covid days with a few machines of the generation that I tried. I ended up setting up quadripple booting into Windows 10, Windows 98SE (DOS only and proper), FreeDOS and Ubuntu (the latter as my rescue option).

While I tried some "later" Sierra games in Windows 98 the primary interest here are DOS games of 1993-1999 period, and I can run most of my childhood games at the moment, with only some posing issues (e.g. earlier games like Chaos Engine or more capricious ones like Arena or Daggerfall).

Talking about Windows 98 performance, it's absolutely lovely. My house Eternity Engine fork takes less than 30 seconds to compile from clean, and WAD-s like Ancient Aliens, Avactor, Eviternity (I) load without noticeable delays. I am actually not cross compiling and mostly writing code for that source port while in Windows 98, and only go back to Windows 10 when I want to "stress test" it with DOSBox stricter memory management, or need screen capture or DOSBox debugger.

I have almost completely switched to FreeDOS and VSBHDA these days however, for the SB16 emulated sound in games.

And I use the same PC for everything else (as in modern web or tax return filing), only in Windows 10.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)