VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this to mess around with, but I am thinking of recycling it.

its a compaq presario from 2004, has win xp home sp1 2002 on it.

got documentation when it was bought from circuit city

1gb of ram

took out cd rom, it has an excellent pci e port which i tried using a nvidia card but performance wise it was worse

multimedia bus which is standard nowadays

did a dxdiag report on it will upload

tried playing games like unreal tournament only to realize i can play them on my modern pc, likewise other games as well.

everything i can see can be virtualized except for the graphics and other onboard stuff

hooked it up to the internet to run protoweb but that got bored after a while

got original keyboard, mice was trash had to use another one (hp mouse ironically since hp owns compaq)

apart from that I really have no use for it, other than a potential capture machine, i got an old capture card but nothing I have is compatible since its the old coax and rca inputs and svideo which went byex2

ive dismantled other machines just for the screws and i realize thatx2 is history but it can fit in a file these days, plus most games wont work even from the era.

i dont play many games anymore if possible id donate it to a lan party

i tried throwing puppy linux on there but its too much to handle plus its better off air gapped

Attachments

• Filename
    DxDiag.txt
    File size
    19.87 KiB
    Downloads
    15 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

iami

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most demanding game I really play is GTA SA so would suit someone like me, Add a SBLive or better for EAX which modern OS's don't do well.
but while I hate parting out old PC's I don't have much love Compaq Presario's. They always felt cheap.
I'd try giving it away and if no takes strip it for parts.

Reply 2 of 2, by THEBaratusII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What processor does it have? Though I would say that virtualizing Windows XP isn't entirely a good replacement or alternative to using real hardware, especially with 3D acceleration. In the case of not finding much use for it, If it were me I wouldn't recycle it but rather part it out or give it away (like chinny22 said).

I used to have a Packard Bell I got off of eBay for a while but it was starting to defect and having some issues, so I ended up parting it out.

Z6rBOy0.gif
My Website
YouTube Channel