Common searches

Tell about your country

Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whenever I read about a country or watch something on it, it usually feels something from the view of a travel agent. Things often feel forced, half-informed, hidden behind scenes.

How the country operates on a normal basis, the culture, the behaviour, the food, laws, daily life, etc. from a resident's perspective is what I want to hear.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 65, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a great surprise. Most traveling vloggers only visit a country for a couple of days and most of them only visit the biggest tourist spots in the capital and don't really interact with the locals.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 65, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Johnylyr wrote on 2024-02-20, 15:29:

Hellas (Greece) here. What do you want to know?

Anything, you want outsiders to know... (all I know about is the old structures of there, and of course Mathematics and Science)

RandomStranger wrote on 2024-02-20, 16:18:

Not a great surprise. Most traveling vloggers only visit a country for a couple of days and most of them only visit the biggest tourist spots in the capital and don't really interact with the locals.

Some vloggers have slowly dived more into the country but as an outsider, there's only so much you can extract. The emotions of the native people may not be reflected.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 65, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The UK isn't just London. And London isn't representative of the rest of the UK.

The rest of us are quite happy to keep our green fields, forests, beaches, ancient history and local food and traditions for ourselves.

Personally, I am happy to live in an area of the country that most of the uninformed considers a barren wasteland and a remnant of the steam and industrial age.... The reality couldn't be further from the truth, but I am happy for that secret to remain 😁

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 65, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

America is actually several nations stuffed into one country wearing a trench coat and all arguing with each other constantly. Which one do you want to know about?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 65, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-02-20, 14:56:

Whenever I read about a country or watch something on it, it usually feels something from the view of a travel agent. Things often feel forced, half-informed, hidden behind scenes.

How the country operates on a normal basis, the culture, the behaviour, the food, laws, daily life, etc. from a resident's perspective is what I want to hear.

I really like your threads. By far the best one was this: What was your last rank of education?

Reply 10 of 65, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Greywolf1 wrote on 2024-02-20, 19:12:

@megatron sound like there’s a fellow northerner here 🤣

Could well be 😁

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 65, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I'm finding interesting is moving back to Australia after living away for almost 20 years, most of that time in the UK.

Very first thing I noticed at work was everyone is much more positive and laid back. In the UK someone calling to say their computer wasn't working was worst thing in the world, Australia its an inconvenience but understand these things happen.
Australia is more informal which my wife doesn't really like. both is dress code and talking to people authority e.g. calling your doctor by his first name.
I never noticed it till moving away but Australia does feel so far away from anywhere else.

now as a foreigner in the UK.
Even in London people are friendly, Had plenty of conversations with random people in the pub, train station, etc you just have to catch them when they are idle and not in the middle of something which may be as simple as reading a book.
Yes it's always raining but who cares? mostly it's just light drizzle and doesn't stop you from whatever your doing and you do really appreciate the warm sunny days that do happen.
Also agree UK's beauty is outside London which isn't rally that far (we lived in Essex surrounded with farms yet only an hr from the city)

Lived in Genoa Italy for a month and found people friendly and helpful which is lucky as nothing works properly, People were more stuck in their ways vs London and even a cloudy day was enough to cancel weekend plans.

Lived in Kelowna Canada for a ski season so probably the least "authentic" but found the locals the most friendly of anywhere but also the most demanding (in a nice way) but where as in other countries something goes wrong your typically expected to fix it yourself. Here it was common to call and have the hotel/etc to sort it. I suspect this is due to the tipping culture and people more willing to help then the other countries.

Reply 12 of 65, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Canadian here. I'm always amused by the various Canadian stereotypes we endure, particularly from our southern American cousins.

For the record, I'm never heard anyone pronounce it "a-boot".

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 13 of 65, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-21, 00:43:

Canadian here. I'm always amused by the various Canadian stereotypes we endure, particularly from our southern American cousins.

Funny enough had a conversation with a few Canadians on a previous trip, somewhere near Meaford BC (not sure how regional accents are) about the stereotype accent thing
I didn't notice the a-boot thing, but the finishing sentences with "eh" was true.

Reply 14 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2024-02-20, 19:21:

I speak for the Swedish. Ask me anything. I will answer truly.

Fascinated by mooses. Do you see them often? I hear they're a danger to drivers.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 65, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have heard it a few times in rural areas in Ontario, if you are in the bush towns the accent gets as dense as newfie, but with some different intonations. Though if you are in an area that pronounces it more like aboot, you probably don't hear that and wonder why the furriners from a whole 20 miles away say ab-eight.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 65, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Miss Paul my Canadian teacher in high school pronounced it that way.
Gave me a giggle every time she said about.

Reply 19 of 65, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well.. I live in the smack dab, landlocked center of the USA.

Not a whole lot to say about the region, other than that it tends to be an (increasingly) unstable mix of political persuasions, and frequently buys into the 'tech is a thing on the coasts' mindset.

The US is not a culturally homogenous nation, and has multiple regional cultures associated with individual states, groups of states, and in some cases, individual cities.

Visiting say, NewYork, or Los Angeles only, is like visiting Prague or Paris, and thinking you've seen all of Europe.