Common searches

Tell about your country

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 65, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-02-21, 23:02:

Thanks. The shop's closed but now I really want some Wine Gums.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 62 of 65, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Greywolf1 wrote on 2024-02-26, 18:00:

Tin foil hat”
I read an article about the NSA knew about an exploit in Microsoft for years and never mentioned it so they had back doors to peoples computers.

There was a controversy some years ago over OpenBSD. Apparently the FBI was paying developers to put in backdoors. Whether this happened or not is still in dispute. Everybody involved denies it of course.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 63 of 65, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2024-02-27, 01:54:

There was a controversy some years ago over OpenBSD. Apparently the FBI was paying developers to put in backdoors. Whether this happened or not is still in dispute. Everybody involved denies it of course.

isn't openbsd an open source project and hence any backdoors would be spotted by someone outside reviewing the code?

having said that i can still imagine it, and escaping attention because everyone using it is assuming 'someone' reviews the code while no one actually did...

Reply 64 of 65, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well yah or there's something like
# sanity check for parser #
Some gibberish code that puts international obfuscated C contest entries to shame with innocuous variable names that really don't say what they are doing.
# we now return you to your regularly scheduled program #
And ppl reading it go "blah blah yeah yeah..."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.