VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wackomenace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tl;dr is there someone/some company in the UK I can pay to build/refurbish me a retro PC?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm on a bit of a retro nostalgic journey at the moment, thinking about how I got started with PCs, and it made me think. I (stupidly) disposed of two PCs that I started off with that would have made the ideal retro PCs of today for running old software and reminiscing about how those were the good days. I want to get back into this, but I am very firmly a software guy and not a hardware one. I have assembled my own PCs before and am happy to do so again, but also very aware that getting an old PC back up and running or attempting to build a new one with yesterday's specs isn't for the faint hearted.

I have read about recapping, leaking batteries, retrobriting yellowed cases etc and honestly have no appetite for that, nor ability or equipment for things like soldering. For the lazy amongst us, is there someone I can pay who will either:

* find an old PC of the correct era and do what needs to be done to get it running, or
* build a period-correct PC using either used or new-old-stock components?

Or maybe with some coaxing I could get retro OSs and software running on relatively new hardware that is still somewhat available and I can assemble without delving into circuit diagrams? Maybe either with patched drivers etc or running them under a bare-metal hypervisor. Running Windows 98 on my M2 MacBook is fun but not quite the same...

Reply 1 of 4, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you share some more details what the "correct era" is and what you want to do with the computer. Getting a mid 2000xp system will be simple. Building a 286 with new old stock will cost you a fortune if you even find the parts at all....

Reply 2 of 4, by wackomenace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aui wrote on 2024-02-21, 13:19:

Could you share some more details what the "correct era" is and what you want to do with the computer. Getting a mid 2000xp system will be simple. Building a 286 with new old stock will cost you a fortune if you even find the parts at all....

Yeah should have elaborated. My first PC was in 1997 and came with Windows 95 - it was a Packard Bell with a Pentium II (Slot 1 if I remember correctly). The second one was in the early 2000s (Pentium III?) and came with Windows XP. It'll mostly be for tinkering with and playing with old software - nothing serious.

It definitely doesn't need to be a newly-built one with new old stock - that was just an idea, but I'm more than happy with an old PC that has been reconditioned to replace caps, remove corrosion etc to make it fit for use without having to delve into electronics. At that point, I'm happy to source extra parts I might like to add, like specific sound cards, drives etc but I don't want to spend loads of time making it even start.

Reply 3 of 4, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. I dont know if such business exist in the UK. You can sometimes find "refurbished" PCs online but those are usually much more recent models. It is also difficult to offer it as a business (Do you pay someone who unsucessfully tried to get a CD drive open and close properly for 2 hours ?). However, I would also like to disperse your reluctance to try some hardware tinkering:

1) Leaking batteries - for the period you are looking at - 90% of the batteries are coin cells. Changing those is as easy as turning on the water tap and they usually dont leak anyway. Preferentially look for ATX style computers (AT models are still around at that time, and are more likely to contain a Dallas RTC+Battery which you want to avoid)
2) Capacitors - its not as bad as "the internet" makes you think. There were certain models which were prone to this problem - in that case you will see it right away - and should stay away. Most of the boards should be fine (and will even work with fault ones ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-qSdMIFFQ ). I have attched two pictures from 2 slightly older (than in the video) Dell PII and PIII. On both boards the capacitors look like new - no problem.
3) Retrobrighting - is a pure cosmetic thing and not necessary. Some specific modells dont yellow at all - some do - and you can just judge yourself if you like it or not. Also - at least for your second model - the world has moved on to black plastic or alumina - so no brighting needed.

The question then is - where to get such a machine. In my opinion there are still plenty of them around (I kow some asking prices at ebay make you think otherwise). If you have a recylce center around or some educational institutes, small businesses or schools etc - chances are high they still have some of these machines in the basement or attic. If the computer looks reasonabley good and well looked after - chances are also high it will still work. Otherwise - just buy one where the seller at least demonstrates that it boots up to the "no OS found". The price may be a bit higher - but it will be most likely less than getting it refurbished by a professional.

Attachments

• Capacitors.jpg
    Filename
    Capacitors.jpg
    File size
    1.49 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20220719_172738.jpg
    Filename
    20220719_172738.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by wackomenace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you - indeed it is reassuring to know that the capacitor issue probably isn't as bad as I thought. I have in all likelihood read too much about people who have spent hours desoldering and replacing all the caps on their retro motherboard! As for batteries, I always remember the batteries I saw being coin cells but again read about these soldered-in Dallas ones and wondered whether it was something I'd have to play with for a while to remove and replace.

This has given me a bit more confidence to look into my first retro build - so thank you again.