VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a bit of a rant.
I was just playing today's guessthegame and was very confused. On my second try, I correctly IMO guessed Doom II: Hell on Earth. This was considered wrong.
It turns out they have two separate entries, Doom II (the correct one in this case) and Doom II: Hell on Earth. Huh?????
The platform is PC with a 77% metacritic score...except that's wrong. The PC version's meta score is 83%. The 77% score is actually for xbox360.

After some research I came up with nothing.
So, when did the subtitle "Hell on Earth" appear? Was it ever sold with that title in the 90s? Was it added for the 360 console release, which AFAIK is identical to DOS?

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's there when you startup and when after you quit. Marketing (pre-release ads etc) did include the subtitle, the box does mention it on the back; so it's been "added" in 1994...

360's Doom II had extra levels from Nerve software (No Rest for the Living) so it's not exactly DOS Doom II either. Similarly, The Ultimate Doom is just "Doom" there

Doom also used to have an "Evil Unleashed" subtitle at one point, but that's more dropped late in development.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-02-29, 04:02:

It's there when you startup and when after you quit.

Oh yeah, 😁. Completely forgot about that and didn't bother to fire up the game.

So guessthegame or the user who submitted the info screwed up.