VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or at least seen a photo of one?

I'm curious what fails in such an instance. A high percentage of the time is it simply gold wiring? Or the micro circuitry inside the chip?

Reply 1 of 3, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which particular product failed? North bridge or something?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A full on overheat/overpowered KAPOW PHUT *mini mushroom cloud* usually has the package bulged and the die cracked. But mysteriously dead, usually means a single semiconductor device on the die had a problem, burned out less spectacularly. I think the bonded wiring is usually pretty stout unless subjected to mechanical shock, maybe more so when hotter, generally I think it will carry a heck of a lot more current than what can burn inside. Occasionally, with funky substrates and wires, whisker problems will occur, where a tiny sliver of crystal will short something, happened a lot with germanium transistors, doesn't happen with normal silicon but if it's exotically doped for some special property it can happen.... also might happen if any parts are tinned at very low storage temperatures.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.