VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I know this is a weird problem and weird request but I'm not a skilled dude on these things so...

I have this image, as you might notice, it's composed of 3 merged images, this was scanned by me and originally comes from a weird cdrom jewel case that recreated a 3 frames animation with an irregular plastic surface in front of the paper layer. What I want to try to do is extract the 3 frames from the scanned image so that I can create an animated gif or similar. There're plenty of tools and plugins to remove or merge crt style scanlines (deinterlacing) but I doubt it's easy to find something for an image like this.

Please expose your ideas and possible solutions. Any help is REALLY appreciated.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you want something that kind of "de interlaces" every 3rd line. Then fills in to make each one back to original height. The difficulty in this is that the scan might not align precisely.

I am wondering if it would be easier, to take three pictures of it at the angles required to see each frame sharply, then correct the skew.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I thought about that, it can be done (making 3 photos I mean), the result might still be crap though, with weird light reflections, less sharp than a scan at best.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am thinking that one could do it semi manually with a custom brush, that's like a venetian blind, and just block out the unwanted parts a bit at a time for each frame, then blend to fill in the whitespace the brush leaves when you stamp it. The advantage of that is that if the offset climbs a pixel across the image, a narrower brush, like 10% of frame size would allow manual alignment that's okay on each part of the image. IDK if I am explaining that very well.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to zoom in my test scan a lot and the pattern is:
Line 1-2: first image
Line 3-4: second image
Line 5-6: third image
Line 7-8: first image
Line 9-10: second image

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just thought, there's gotta be some tools out there to merge two stereoscopic frames to make perfect single image... so could take 6 pictures of the source, frame one from two sides, up and down or right and left, then see what a stereo merge tool does. Then do the rest if it comes out well.