VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vipachei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally gave up on holding onto Windows 7 so I decided to upgrade it to Windows 11. It's a Xeon E3-1230 on a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV with an integrated Realtek ALC887 and I ran into the usual problem of not being able to find a driver that works with my analog 5.1 speaker setup. That means it's stereo only, no surround and absolutely no bass. I tried every possible driver available, every fix, solution and magic trick but couldn't get W11 to produce 5.1. I'm not surprised, my rig is 12 years old but it's more than enough for me.
So I decided to buy my first ever dedicated sound card that probably exceeds the value of the entire computer and found out that the market of internal sound cards is pretty limited. I don't really know anything about sound cards so I need your help finding the correct one.
Could you suggest me a PCI-E card that works under Windows 11 (and potentially W12 too), has 5.1 analog output jacks, isn't an ancient design/chip with new drivers and doesn't cost more than $75 (if possible)?
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative have a list on what cards have Win11 support.
https://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=200667

The only other company I know that are in the sound card business is the Asus Xonar range which I'm not familiar with but the current gen cards all have Win11 drivers.
https://www.asus.com/au/motherboards-componen … rds/all-series/

Reply 2 of 12, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Xonar DX cards are really good and only need a 1x PCIe slot, the Xonar DX 7.1 is a high quality card high grade components on it, but if all OP needs is a good but cheap card then the DGX/DS is the way to go.

Reply 3 of 12, by Vipachei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, this is where my problems start. ASUS has terrible driver support and most of their budget offerings are old and about to be EOLd.

92928.jpg
Filename
92928.jpg
File size
103.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Xonar DX is also EOLd already so ASUS is out of the picture.
That basically leaves Creative.
The Audigy FX has a Realtek chip and isn't any better than my onboard audio.
The Audigy RX is an ancient design with new drivers and an inflated price tag.
The SB Z SE looks good but pricey.

That leaves external sound cards and most of those are crappy Chinese/Taiwanese products while good brands are well above $100.

I'll just stick with the good old 7 and save for a new rig when no browser supports this anymore. Ironic, because I can easily upgrade it to 11 and it runs fine but without driver support it's useless. I can't live without bass!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Reply 4 of 12, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vipachei wrote on 2024-03-07, 08:05:
Thanks guys, this is where my problems start. ASUS has terrible driver support and most of their budget offerings are old and ab […]
Show full quote

Thanks guys, this is where my problems start. ASUS has terrible driver support and most of their budget offerings are old and about to be EOLd.
92928.jpg
The Xonar DX is also EOLd already so ASUS is out of the picture.
That basically leaves Creative.
The Audigy FX has a Realtek chip and isn't any better than my onboard audio.
The Audigy RX is an ancient design with new drivers and an inflated price tag.
The SB Z SE looks good but pricey.

That leaves external sound cards and most of those are crappy Chinese/Taiwanese products while good brands are well above $100.

I'll just stick with the good old 7 and save for a new rig when no browser supports this anymore. Ironic, because I can easily upgrade it to 11 and it runs fine but without driver support it's useless. I can't live without bass!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 supports win 11 and is about 85 AUD which should be even cheaper for US buyers.

The AE has some high end Audio components so itll be a huge upgrade over on board sound and miles better than any trash Creative currently make.

On my machine I just picked up an external DAC with Mixer and AMP, it runs off SPDIF and cost me about 150 AUD to put together, hands down the best thing I ever did as the sound it produces will happily beat any internal soundcard you can buy.

Reply 6 of 12, by Vipachei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started fiddling with Windows 11 again to get it to play nice somehow and succeeded. I checked the exact driver version that worked under 7 (v6.0.1.6662 (2.70)) and installed it under 11. I didn't expect a 12 year old driver to work but it did. I also had to set the Realtek manager to select Sub/center as the output instead of the Line-in that was set as default. It didn't work with the new Realtek driver but it did with the old one.
I appreciate the suggestions though and I'm glad I don't have to spend money to finally use Windows 11.

Reply 7 of 12, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't forget to prevent Windows from automatically updating your drivers (if that's even still an option in 11). I've had problems with Windows Update replacing drivers with broken ones (even downgrading my graphics driver).

Reply 8 of 12, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lti wrote on 2024-03-08, 04:19:

Don't forget to prevent Windows from automatically updating your drivers (if that's even still an option in 11). I've had problems with Windows Update replacing drivers with broken ones (even downgrading my graphics driver).

It is an option, and I know this because it took me a week to figure out why a BlueTooth adapter kept 'breaking' on reboot and it was swapping the driver on each reboot. 😒 Solvable tho.

Reply 9 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lti wrote on 2024-03-08, 04:19:

Older versions than 11, update has broken sound drivers twice on me, and they had a big uproar the first time because it was quite widespread, they don't learn.

Recent developments in sidechannel attacks might have them more fussy about sound drivers though, there are insertion attacks by remotely stimulating microphones, data exfiltration attacks by getting them to chirp out sensitive data at high frequencies, password slurping attacks where AIs trained on the noise of keyboards can read your password from the typing noises... so yeah, they might be a bit picky about qualifying sound drivers these days.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 12, by Vipachei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I see that the new Realtek driver is available in the optional updates menu, waiting patiently to ruin my day.
I had to install gpedit.msc because it's a Windows 11 Home edition and enabled the Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy. It should be good now.

Reply 11 of 12, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you considered of having an USB based sound adapter?

I'm still happy with my Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External
https://support.creative.com/Products/Product … l&CatName=Sound

I use analogue 5.1 with this setup.

Last edited by Disruptor on 2024-03-09, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was once a way to prevent updates for one specific device, even in home editions. That's what I did in Windows 10 Home to prevent it from installing a four-year-old graphics driver with known bugs affecting video playback.

USB audio devices were mentioned earlier, but anything that's an upgrade over modern onboard audio (or even equivalent in features - Vipachei has an unusual setup with analog 5.1 audio) gets expensive. The cheap ($30) 5.1/7.1 boxes are known to be noisy and poorly made (some of them have been coming from the factory for years with every electrolytic cap installed backwards, and that error survived a revision to switch to a fully surface mount PCB).