VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone else have this happen? It seems like most of the time when I submit a reply on VOGONS the browser immediately displays a full blank page. Basically, no HTML at all.

Thankfully the posts are still submitted properly... I don't think I've ever had it fail to actually submit when this happens. I just hit the back button a couple times to get back to the thread, refresh the page and the post is there.

Viewing page source shows little or nothing at all but I will copy it and paste it here next time it happens. (EDIT: Ironically, it didn't do it when I submitted the post for this thread.)

This is on Firefox 124.0.1 on Windows 10, but it has been happening for me in Firefox for ages. I don't really use any other browsers enough to know if it does it in Chrome or others. It does not appear to happen when submitting edits. Only when posting replies.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get vogons.org failed to respond on Chrome a lot so probably not browser specific. Once in a while get the return to homepage message.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-24, 04:07:

I get vogons.org failed to respond on Chrome a lot so probably not browser specific. Once in a while get the return to homepage message.

Yeah, actually a little while ago I did something and got a page telling me to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete? I think that's the return to homepage message.

I just had the blank page pop up when I posted in another thread.

The page source is blank. Firefox console shows the following:

This page is in Quirks Mode. Page layout may be impacted. For Standards Mode use “<!DOCTYPE html>”.

Firefox addons in use:
uBlock Origin (shows that nothing has been blocked on VOGONS)
Redirector (only used for one site, not VOGONS)
Dark Reader (disabled on VOGONS)
Return Youtube Dislike
Stop Mod Reposts (only impacts specific sites; unrelated to VOGONS)

It kind of seems like the forums are just failing to send us to any page at all when clicking the submit button.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the "Network" tab in developer tools, if a entirely blank page is being returned there's most likely going to be a error code and not a "200 OK" response that you'll only ever notice if you're looking at that tab of the dev tools.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων