VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a kit out tbere that has an abundance of components, passive/active/ic's? The common types of active/ic's, stuff you'll see referenced in a teztbook or course? Digital ic's would be nice too (but people are saying a lot of those families are falling by the wayside. Is that true?

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get resistor kits, ceramic capacitor kits, low value electrolytic kits, general purpose transistor kits, but I don't recall seeing IC kits really, well I've seen things called that in the past, but it's really a bunch of surplus junk that's not much good, weird stuff.

Anyway, universal solder has some basic discrete component kits and you can find them on Amazon also, then other places like Adafruit catering to hobbyists will have similar.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems you're right. This bites. I just signed.up for a course on udemy to refresh/enlighten me. The imstructor does provide a list of components needed. It just would be so nice if there was a suitable comprehensive kit, op amps, various digital gates, etc. I don't know how much digital he goes into. It almost seems dufus to build rudimentary computer circuits in this day and age. I would guess it hardly has any applicability. Or rather that sort of thing is better illustrated using fpgas, pals, gals. But what the hell do I know.

Reply 3 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is frequently the case that instructors in such courses create bills of material or pre-built shopping carts at distributors like DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, etc. in order to make it easy for students to get the parts necessary for a particular course. So I would definitely ask if such a shopping cart has already been created for you.

Reply 5 of 6, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoa. Actually if you just put "ic kit" in amazon or presumably google a whole bunch of kits appear.

Specify too many search terms and you get shafted.

And it just occurred to me much of this stuff is gonna be chineseum. But what can you do. For learning purposes I suppose (hope?) it's fine. Would be worth it to see what a comparable batch of stuff would go for on digi-key, mouser, etc.