VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some questions about getting a new external hard drive for my Playstation 4. My PS4 has a 1 TB internal hard drive, and a 2 TB external, both are mechanical drives. For a while now, it's not been enough, so I am looking to buy another external drive to increase the PS4's storage space.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to use two external drives at once on a PS4 (so that they are both plugged in and working at the same time, I mean, I don't mean having two externals but only plugging one in at a time)?

2. If I bought an external SSD drive then would the difference in loading speeds be significant? I assume that the PS4's hardware wouldn't be able to take full advantage of an SSD drive's speed?

3. I thnk the PS4 takes USB 3.0 hard drives (mechanical or SSD) from 1 TB to 8 TB, is that correct? Is there any other requirement or specification that I should be aware of, such as hard drives that definitely will or will not work with the console?

4. Is it possible to copy the contents of my existing 2 TB external drive on to a new external hard drive, as it would be quicker than downloading all those games from PSN to the new hard drive. I assume I can copy or move the games from my 2 TB external to the internal hard drive, unplug the old external, plug in the new external, and then move them games to the new external, but that would be a lot of trouble, and mean deleting/redownloaing the games that were already on the external drive, so I'd rather avoid that if possible. So can I just copy or move the games from the old external hard drive to the new external hard drive, maybe using a PC, or a USB splitter on the PS3?

I think that is all that I mean to ask. Thanks for any answers.