VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure we've all been there..work life, home life, being busy all the time with duties and responsibilities and trying to escape reality with our old games and computers with some quality time.
I just lost a good hour of that precious time for something so utterly stupid...and I was PRETTY CLOSE to posting here for some help, which would have been even worse in terms of shame 😁

Help me feel better about myself by sharing your most recent fuckup, brain fart, bad decision with disastrous results or whatever and hopefully share a good grin or laugh. Sharing mine first, of course.

- Decided to try some Sierra games with the FB-01 that I imported from Japan for peanuts a couple of years ago, but never really toyed with yet
- Read some threads about it on here, downloaded ripsaw's fixed FB01.DRV, Scali's softimfc.exe, checked Pierre32's excel sheet of various games and patches for FB01/IMFC
- Spin my 386 up and configure SQ3 for FB01 with the fixed driver. Launch the game...black screen and freeze. Mmh.
- Reboot, select AdLib - works fine. Mmh......
- Put back the original unmodified FB01.DRV. Still freezes.
- Moved the CF card to my 486. Runs fine! Listen to the FB01 intro and first tune, not bad! But damn, those games belong to the 386..
- Back on the 386, clean boot bypassing config.sys and autoexec.bat. No difference.
- Tried to run SoftIMFC to test the imf.drv instead of fb01.drv. Softimfc freezes. Wut!?
- Start toying with EMM386 parameters to see if it makes a difference running softimfc. It doesn't.
- Try softimfc and the imf.drv on the 486. Works fine as well. Argh. What's wrong with the 386? It doesn't have any issue! Makes no sense!
- Maybe this specific SQ3 build has an issue on that machine? Sounds weird, but let's try Codename:Iceman on the 486 first. Works! 386? You guessed it - freeze on launch.
- Is there an issue/conflict on 330h? Launch Checkitpro...nothing at 330h. But an unknown device at 300h. MMMMMmmmmh.
- Trying to remember if there was a jumper on the MIF-IPC to set address...but it used to work fine with the MT-32 before...why the problem now..is it because FB01.DRV is hardcoded for 330h and for some reason I set it at 300h? Let's take the card out and check.
- Opened the case and getting ready to remove the card...and it slaps me right in the face: MPU-401 breakout cable is not connected. Probably forgot to plug it back last time I worked inside the case.

Tadaaaaaaaa. All of this would probably have been avoided right at the beginning by simply trying to run the game with MT-32 instead of Adlib, which I know did run fine recently.
Guess I got completely sidetracked by the "new" setup, modified drivers and all that jazz.

OK, your turn. Don't worry, it will stay between us.