VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello!

I'm looking for one to know what works with this board.
Needless to say, PCChips fake cache with dead vias. Not even TAG.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcchips-m507
I first thought to just find some compatible cache chips and manually connect them to chipset and TAG, but it's not even possible without a load of work.
COAST is the fastest solution.

Without cache I don't see what this baord could be useful for beside testing cpus.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Nexxen on 2024-04-12, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own a very similar board which I believe is a clone. When I insert the 256KiB coast module it'll merge with the onboard cache, unlike boards like A-Trend ATC-1020 which have a jumper to completely disable the onboard cache.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2024-04-12, 14:34:

I own a very similar board which I believe is a clone. When I insert the 256KiB coast module it'll merge with the onboard cache, unlike boards like A-Trend ATC-1020 which have a jumper to completely disable the onboard cache.

COAST modules aren't interchangeable. I have a few and I'd like to know which one goes in to avoid nuking anything 😀
The board is really a bummer due to the lack of L2.
Like many others, I complain they didn't at least put real vias for L2.

From the pics on TRW, it has 2x7ns chips + 1x15ns tag.

Reply 3 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those - I found an AT tower in a dumpster in 2019, and that's what it had inside. My plan is to get around to ordering and assembling a Necroware voltage regulator and have it set up with a K6-3+. Here are images of the 256k cache module it came with.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-12, 17:50:

I have one of those - I found an AT tower in a dumpster in 2019, and that's what it had inside. My plan is to get around to ordering and assembling a Necroware voltage regulator and have it set up with a K6-3+. Here are images of the 256k cache module it came with.

Necrware's VRM is something I'd like to have. Like 5 pieces should be a lifetime supply.
Add his Dallas RTC replacement and it's done.

Coasts aren't all the same. I know there are at least 4 different pinouts for the same stuff. 🙁

Honestly I was thinking what I could use this board for. Fake cache, and some leads aren't even soldered 😀
Btw, I was offered 2 of these "as is", for 30€. Politely declined. Missing components even...

Reply 5 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-12, 19:10:
Necrware's VRM is something I'd like to have. Like 5 pieces should be a lifetime supply. Add his Dallas RTC replacement and it's […]
Show full quote

Necrware's VRM is something I'd like to have. Like 5 pieces should be a lifetime supply.

Coasts aren't all the same. I know there are at least 4 different pinouts for the same stuff. 🙁

Honestly I was thinking what I could use this board for. Fake cache, and some leads aren't even soldered 😀
Btw, I was offered 2 of these "as is", for 30€. Politely declined. Missing components even...

I really like the idea of taking this board that came with a 133 MHz CPU and upgrading it to a 400 MHz CPU with L2 cache. At least this one had a cache module - the M520 computer I bought had fake cache chips and no COAST module! It came with a K5 PR133 (100 MHz) and a very slow hard drive. It appears to have been upgraded from a 486, though a 100 MHz K5 on a VX chipset with no cache might not have been that big of an upgrade from a 486 system.

BTW, that COAST module from the M507 wouldn't work on the M520.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-12, 19:30:
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-12, 19:10:
Necrware's VRM is something I'd like to have. Like 5 pieces should be a lifetime supply. Add his Dallas RTC replacement and it's […]
Show full quote

I really like the idea of taking this board that came with a 133 MHz CPU and upgrading it to a 400 MHz CPU with L2 cache. At least this one had a cache module - the M520 computer I bought had fake cache chips and no COAST module! It came with a K5 PR133 (100 MHz) and a very slow hard drive. It appears to have been upgraded from a 486, though a 100 MHz K5 on a VX chipset with no cache might not have been that big of an upgrade from a 486 system.

Yes, an absolute waste. Probably a COAST was purchased along making $$ go up. My guess.
I've seen VRM and upgrades to K6-3. Hoping there is the patched bios on TRW.

I like these tinkerings 😀 Post something if you succeed.

Reply 7 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-12, 15:21:
COAST modules aren't interchangeable. I have a few and I'd like to know which one goes in to avoid nuking anything :) The board […]
Show full quote
dominusprog wrote on 2024-04-12, 14:34:

COAST modules aren't interchangeable. I have a few and I'd like to know which one goes in to avoid nuking anything 😀
The board is really a bummer due to the lack of L2.
Like many others, I complain they didn't at least put real vias for L2.

From the pics on TRW, it has 2x7ns chips + 1x15ns tag.

Are you sure? I've tried three different 256KiB modules on my YKM P5510VX and all of them worked.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ykm-p5510vx

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!