VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been going through and backing up a lot of my games and as such testing out the copies to make sure they work. Part of this process involves reinstalling and as such I've revisited a lot of installers lately and I've got to say some of them are over the top. So I thought I'd start a discussion where people can share their favorite or most hated installation processes ever if you feel like wasting some time.

The one that inspired me to create this topic though was "Dungeons & Dragons : Dragonshard"

DDEberonDragonshardPC1816_f.jpg
Filename
DDEberonDragonshardPC1816_f.jpg
File size
44.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard

The installer in this game is over the top and you could be forgiven for thinking that the game just plays from the CD when you insert it into your drive. It utilizes a clockwork motif not unlike the Game of Thrones intro sequence if I could compare it to something. All the moving pieces really set up the expectation of what the gaming experience will be. The installer interface is also carried over into the actual game UI so its very consistent across the product. They put like way too much effort into this installer, infact, I think the installer is better than the game. You're missing out if you only have the gog release =)

Install Experience Recommended 4/5 stars.

Dragonshard_Agreement.JPG
Filename
Dragonshard_Agreement.JPG
File size
173.95 KiB
Views
File comment
Software Agreement
File license
Dragonshard_CDKEY.JPG
Filename
Dragonshard_CDKEY.JPG
File size
135.73 KiB
Views
File comment
CDKEY Entry
File license
Dragonshard_Install_Progress.JPG
Filename
Dragonshard_Install_Progress.JPG
File size
149.13 KiB
Views
File comment
Install Progress
File license
Last edited by Shagittarius on 2024-04-14, 16:14. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The original Command & Conquer and Red Alert had interesting installers for their time.

I think C&C: Renegade tried to mimic this as well, but wasn't quite as good.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WitchavenIIPC2531_f.jpg
Filename
WitchavenIIPC2531_f.jpg
File size
95.75 KiB
Views
File license

Witchhaven II: Blood Vengeance

This game features an articulated talking head which guides you through the install process once you've chosen your sound configuration. The installer goes out of its way to be animated and over the top with the talking head and a spinning pentagram. This no doubt was quite impressive for its time, especially considering that this is a DOS game. Once again I believe in this case the installer trumps the game which suffers from a difficulty cliff right at the beginning. However as was suggested do yourself a favor and install this game, the process is classic.

Install Experience Rating 4/5

WitchHaven2_Sound_Setup.jpg
Filename
WitchHaven2_Sound_Setup.jpg
File size
44.85 KiB
Views
File license
WitchHaven2_Sound_Setup_2.jpg
Filename
WitchHaven2_Sound_Setup_2.jpg
File size
102.31 KiB
Views
File license
WitchHaven2_Install_Progress_2.jpg
Filename
WitchHaven2_Install_Progress_2.jpg
File size
67.23 KiB
Views
File license
WitchHaven2_Install_Complete.jpg
Filename
WitchHaven2_Install_Complete.jpg
File size
40.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Shagittarius on 2024-04-14, 16:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-13, 15:21:

The original Command & Conquer and Red Alert had interesting installers for their time.

I think C&C: Renegade tried to mimic this as well, but wasn't quite as good.

I remember being blown away by the Command & Conquer install when it first came out. I remember thinking this is how you do an installer. Its too bad windows came along and the installation got so standardized (for the most part). There are some developers that still went the extra mile and I appreciate it.

Reply 6 of 16, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C&C: Red Alert 2 is my favorite

It sets up the story and shows some of the units of the game all the while playing good music. It behaves like you are accessing some top secred military information and gives you 30 seconds to input your CD-key, I don't actually know what happens if you take longer (probably nothing, might say something funny) but it sure made me smile and go "oh crap!"

Couldn't have taken all that much time to make but it sure beats the hell out of all those boring standard installers 99.99% of other games have.

Reply 7 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Command_and_Conquer_Front_Cover.jpg
Filename
Command_and_Conquer_Front_Cover.jpg
File size
113.75 KiB
Views
File license

Command & Conquer

This was one of the first installers that was more than just a text based silent affair that I can remember. After selecting a sound card you are treated to the dulcet tones of the install narration lips, which are animated, it's very Rocky Horror-esque. It culminates in a fictional overload of data being pushed violently onto your machine and them collapsing into a simple "Installation Complete" screen with voice over confirmation. I don't know if this was the first real graphical installer as my memory isn't perfect but it's one of the first I remember.

Installer Experience Recommended 4/5

Command_and_Conquer_Install_Welcome.jpg
Filename
Command_and_Conquer_Install_Welcome.jpg
File size
46.61 KiB
Views
File license
Command_and_Conquer_Sound_Select.jpg
Filename
Command_and_Conquer_Sound_Select.jpg
File size
96.03 KiB
Views
File license
Command_and_Conquer_Install_Progress.jpg
Filename
Command_and_Conquer_Install_Progress.jpg
File size
30.97 KiB
Views
File license
Command_and_Conquer_Install_Complete.jpg
Filename
Command_and_Conquer_Install_Complete.jpg
File size
145.3 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Shagittarius on 2024-04-14, 16:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a couple activision-developed games with special effort into their installshields to set the backdrop and atmosphere and they're Interstate 76 and Battlezone. I76 goes through a slideshow of concept art.

(NOTE: Battlezone's later rereleases nerfed the installer. I76 Gold remains the same)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2024-04-14, 01:16:

There's a couple activision-developed games with special effort into their installshields to set the backdrop and atmosphere and they're Interstate 76 and Battlezone. I76 goes through a slideshow of concept art.

(NOTE: Battlezone's later rereleases nerfed the installer. I76 Gold remains the same)

I think interstate 82 actually does a fake TV or radio broadcast that sets the scene as you install too. If I am remembering correctly.

Reply 10 of 16, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Broken sword had a pretty amazing installer , it let you play breakout and had a indiana Jones moving slates style thing.

images (21).jpeg
Filename
images (21).jpeg
File size
40.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LandsofLoreGuardiansofDe1783_f.png
Filename
LandsofLoreGuardiansofDe1783_f.png
File size
250.38 KiB
Views
File license

Lands of Lore : Guardians of Destiny

The second Lands of Lore game goes the distance with its installer. It starts out flying up a castle turret into a wizards den filled with lots of books. It then zooms in on a book which becomes the background for the install. After setting up your sound card and confirming by watching a skeleton leap from the pages of the book and ring a gong the install process voice-over walks you through the rest. The progress bar is a glass staff that fills with blood gurgling its way to 100% complete, at which point the game dumps you into the intro movie.

Install Experience Rating 4/5

LOL2_Install_Intro.jpg
Filename
LOL2_Install_Intro.jpg
File size
128.74 KiB
Views
File license
LOL2_Install_Sound_Selection.jpg
Filename
LOL2_Install_Sound_Selection.jpg
File size
125.28 KiB
Views
File license
LOL2_Install_Progress.jpg
Filename
LOL2_Install_Progress.jpg
File size
82.12 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Shagittarius on 2024-04-14, 16:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 16, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nox has an interesting installer, too. It tells you the story of Nox during file-copy. Downside is that you can’t skip it and the installation will take ages (exaggerating a bit, almost 10 minutes?) even on a fast PC.

Not really installation related but configuration: the Warcraft II sound setup. I guess our sound cards didn’t get any better the more you’ll click on the test button 😀.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 14 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure C&C installation was and still is very memorable, as evident by many contributors here. It was truly innovative, and seamslessly enters the actual game.

Other installations that come to my my mind are :

1. Hook (Adventure game published by Ocean) - it has one of the most pleasing musics, which plays in the credit intro, but this piece is also played during installation. It's something not usually done for installations. (At its time.)

2. Nox (ARPG by Westwood - no surprises there, I think) - It has a nice story background displayed as text on the installation screen, with the progress shown as filling glass bulbs.

3. VGA-era Sierra installers, some has nice stories to tell at the installation screens, via the text windows. Like the complaint they received that someone just crammed the next floppy into the FDD, without removing the previous floppy, when the installation asked to insert the next floppy.

4. Crusader No Remorse/ No Regret has this music start playing once you have successfully selected your sound card. The piece from No Regret is especially memorable.

5. I have a vague memory of the installation program let you play a break the brick, Arkanoid-like game while you are installing. Can't remember which, though. EDIT : Ah yes! Broken Sword mentioned above!

6. Microprose's Gunship 2000 or F-117A Nighthawk, has the spinning ACII character on the installation screen, at the dos prompt. I also remember seeing ASCII characters like a stick man walking and raising hands on the DOS prompt, but not sure for which game installation.

Developers and Games those days went out of their way to provide buyers with enjoyable experience, from the moment you open the box. Sad to see current digital-only age of gaming with the same dull progress bar for any game in Steam, or other "digital" game delivery service/frontend.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Interstate_76_Front_Cover.jpg
Filename
Interstate_76_Front_Cover.jpg
File size
101.52 KiB
Views
File license

Interstate '76

This installer brings the funk, the 70s inspired bass heavy funk of the intro music will immediately get your blood pumpin'. After the installer splash you get some black and white concept art and sketches while a radio broadcast tells you about the dire situation in the USA of gas shortages and vigilantism. Once you choose your settings the install proper begins and the talk radio switches to music for the remainder of the install while additional artwork is displayed. It's not as detailed or UI heavy as some of the intros I've discussed before but it uses what it presents to maximum effect.

Install Experience Rating 3/5

Interstate_76_Splash.JPG
Filename
Interstate_76_Splash.JPG
File size
27.45 KiB
Views
File license
Interstate_76_Config.JPG
Filename
Interstate_76_Config.JPG
File size
86.05 KiB
Views
File license
Interstate_76_Progress.JPG
Filename
Interstate_76_Progress.JPG
File size
90.62 KiB
Views
File license
Interstate_76_Complete.JPG
Filename
Interstate_76_Complete.JPG
File size
92.9 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 16, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nox_Front_Cover.jpg
Filename
Nox_Front_Cover.jpg
File size
127.52 KiB
Views
File license

Nox

Varying only slightly from a standard install accompanied by a slideshow the installer for Nox nonetheless manages to impress with quality artwork and professional voice work. During the copy process you are told the background of the world and the characters situation while an animated custom progress tracker shows your overall completion. The final visual is that of a map of the lands of Nox which entreats your curiosity to begin exploring.

Install Experience Rating 3/5

Nox_Splash.JPG
Filename
Nox_Splash.JPG
File size
84.8 KiB
Views
File license
Nox_Install_Progress_1.JPG
Filename
Nox_Install_Progress_1.JPG