VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrisNova777 wrote:
did u ever find out any more info about the winman? i have the winman4x4/s in my 486 works great in windows 3.11 has no dos dr […]
Show full quote
rgart wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the Midiman Winman 1x1 card? Its claimed to be the cheapest midi interface but what about DOS support?

did u ever find out any more info about the winman?
i have the winman4x4/s in my 486
works great in windows 3.11
has no dos driver i dont think

is there any hacks to make this card accessible in dos?
like running windows 3.1 then dropping to a dos prompt?

im gonna guess no because of hte lack of a dos driver mentioned anywhere

Necro'ing this thread because I can answer this question (partially) after hitting the BIN on a NIB one: According to the box the included utility disc has a driver for Win 3.x and a driver for Cakewalk for DOS. So obviously it can be accessed from DOS somehow.

Edit: Found the manual online, which says this about the Cakewalk driver:

Cakewalk for DOS Installation […]
Show full quote

Cakewalk for DOS Installation

Cakewalk for DOS Version 4.0 (and later) supports the use of Installable Port Devices (IPD). You will need WINMAN 1X1 IPD from the Drivers and Diagnostics disk. This driver is named WINMAN1.DRV and is located in the 1X1DIAGS subdirectory.

In order to install the WINMAN 1X1 IPD driver first copy WINMAN1.DRV into the directory the CAKEWALK.EXE file is in. Next, you may wish to save the old MIDI driver that's in the directory by renaming it. You can do this by typing: RENAME MIDIPORT.DRV MIDIPORT.BAK (Return).

Next, rename the WINMAN 1X1 driver by typing: RENAME WINMAN1.DRV MIDIPORT.DRV (Return).

Now, when you start Cakewalk for the first time with the new driver, use the /S switch to setup the MIDI interface parameters such as the I/O base ADDRESS and IRQ.

But clearly it was possible to write new drivers for the card, as the manual also has this in the FAQ:

SYMPTOM: I'm a programmer and want to program for the card. Do you have any information or drivers for the card?
SOLUTION: Contact MIDIMAN by mail, phone, or fax, or contact the MIDIMAN BBS for additional programming information.

So perhaps M-Audio (= Midiman) could still help?