Common searches

Reply 200 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Sorry. I meant SYSEXFLUSH. Doh!

I get a: "Program to big to fit in memory" message... I'm trying to load it high, but i also had around 50k of memory left so...

Reply 201 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's 20KB on load now so maybe a bit chunky for high memory. Could you try loading it low (without /LARGESYSEX) and let me know if your FB-01 works OK (dump/error then dump/received). Cheers

Reply 204 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

This is before the softmpu banner is printed, right?

I'll try it on my real PC when I get home, I've only been testing inside Bochs.

Yes, i can't even get the banner when i try to load it without any arguments...

Reply 207 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Things have gotten a little confused so let's start afresh 😎

I've added support for long SYSEX messages in this build, no extra memory or command-line switches are required.

Please could you let me know what behaviour you get with this build. Thanks

Reply 208 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Things have gotten a little confused so let's start afresh 😎

I've added support for long SYSEX messages in this build, no extra memory or command-line switches are required.

Please could you let me know what behaviour you get with this build. Thanks

It might be an issue with my retro system, but i'm still getting the "Program too big to fit in memory".

I'm wondering what changes you did in the source code between the /LARGESYSEX test version of the program and the current test versions.

Reply 209 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can view the changes here, as you can see there's not much.

https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/compare/wip

To be honest it sounds like your executable is corrupt for some reason... tried with a clean boot/no drivers loaded?

Reply 210 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

You can view the changes here, as you can see there's not much.

https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/compare/wip

To be honest it sounds like your executable is corrupt for some reason... tried with a clean boot/no drivers loaded?

Yes i tried... The last version that works for me is the /LARGESYSEX one, so i'm gonna keep it.

Reply 211 of 419, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

Would someone mind compiling either DOSBox or SoftMPU with the SysEx size restriction removed entirely, and with a fixed, 1700-byte buffer?

I tried to compile SoftMPU with the SYSEX_SIZE removed; upped the RAWBUF to 1700 and the process stops (errors out and won't build).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 212 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Yes i tried... The last version that works for me is the /LARGESYSEX one, so i'm gonna keep it.

That's strange. I tried the latest build on my real DOS machine last night and it ran fine.

Regarding the dump/error behaviour on first run, I wonder what the difference in MPU behaviour is between the first and second runs.

Reply 213 of 419, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm also running your latest test build on my retro PC and runs without problems.

My conventional memory has 609KB left; NHL Hockey 95 sends the correct notes to the MT-32 this time, but it still doesn't work. It's getting close to running perfectly.

One time, my build of the program worked. I ran NHL Hockey 95 in the Command Prompt in Windows for Workgroups 3.11 OS and it played without issues.

I'm undergoing a development of the program itself for testing purposes; I'll let you know if NHL Hockey 95 works.

I upped the SYSEX_SIZE from 1024 to 2550; the RAWBUF from 1024 to 1700 for testing purposes and it's getting pretty darn close.

Edit: However, when I load the USBASPI drivers in MS-DOS, NHL Hockey 95 with the MT-32 and SB Vibra 16 Sound Card works!

Here's my compiled version of SoftMPU with the source code.

Attachments

• Filename
    SoftMPU.zip
    File size
    192.01 KiB
    Downloads
    115 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2014-06-12, 01:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 214 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

That's strange. I tried the latest build on my real DOS machine last night and it ran fine.

Regarding the dump/error behaviour on first run, I wonder what the difference in MPU behaviour is between the first and second runs.

I don't know what happened but it could be that the file got corrupted when i copied to my DOS machine. The strangest thing is that i tried twice and the same thing happened. Only when i tried again one hour ago it worked...

Anyway, i could only try Space Quest III but it works with MT-32 and FB-01. The FB-01 still gets a dump error at first but dump/received follows suit and music plays.

So what's the plan for version 1.9 ?

Reply 216 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree. But i don't see how we are going to figure out what's wrong. I don't have a real MPU-401 so i can't test.

I also wonder if all the Roland MPU-401's yield the same results with the FB-01 (no dump/error message i mean). I remember watching a video from Great Hierophant where he demoed a FB-01 with his MPU-401. His MPU-401 is a MPU-IPC if i remember correctly? Question is if the IPC-T ot the AT also work without any issues. If i would have to guess, all should.

Reply 217 of 419, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

I agree. But i don't see how we are going to figure out what's wrong. I don't have a real MPU-401 so i can't test.

I also wonder if all the Roland MPU-401's yield the same results with the FB-01 (no dump/error message i mean). I remember watching a video from Great Hierophant where he demoed a FB-01 with his MPU-401. His MPU-401 is a MPU-IPC if i remember correctly? Question is if the IPC-T ot the AT also work without any issues. If i would have to guess, all should.

My MPU-401 is the big breakout box with the microcontroller. It was connected to my 486 via an MIF-IPC-A card (the one PeterLI is trying to clone). The FB-01 never complained to me with a dump/error message when so connected.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 218 of 419, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone explain the meaning of the FB-01 messages?

DUMP - receiving instrument sysex
ERROR - sysex was malformed
RECIEVED - sysex was OK

Is DUMP always followed by ERROR or RECEIVED?

Reply 219 of 419, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

My MPU-401 is the big breakout box with the microcontroller. It was connected to my 486 via an MIF-IPC-A card (the one PeterLI is trying to clone). The FB-01 never complained to me with a dump/error message when so connected.

Right your interface is on the box itself, and only simple logic/bus in the card. It would be cool to try other MPU-401 variations though. There's an IPC-T on sale on eBay right now, but i don't think i can win it.