VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 221 of 438, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Might be a timing issue, try disabling caches.

Hi!

I already try disabling L1 and L2 in my P2, but no luck. No sound from my Mt-32

Just for test, I build a 486 DX4, but same problem, with IRQ9 game start, don't hang but no sound

The MT-32 screen show "softMPU" at least i know is working, but no sound at all

Sadly, i cant change to IRQ2 the AWE64, only 5 or 9

Reply 223 of 438, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

And in DOSBox the game works fine?

Hi!

In dosbox there is not need of softmpu, the game works great with emulated MT-32

I dont have USB cables to connect the MT-32 in my Pentium 4 PC, sadly i cant test real mt-32 with dosbox, and i dont have windows on the Pentium 2, only DOS

Thanks

Reply 224 of 438, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need a MT-32 to test DOSBox. It will just use the default MIDI device, notes sound off, but it's just for testing if it locks up or if it works.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 225 of 438, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

You don't need a MT-32 to test DOSBox. It will just use the default MIDI device, notes sound off, but it's just for testing if it locks up or if it works.

PM2 sound in dosbox works perfect using MT-32 or GM, the problems are in real dos or ntvdm

Reply 228 of 438, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Can you test a different machine, and different sound cards?

I have many spare motherboard, if i have time, i will builda 486 to test, but not much time to do sadly

SB16 PnP same problem, SBPro 2 not even start (i use the option /OUTPUT:SBMIDI). I have other ISA sound card in a warehouse, i will do more test as soon i have time, and find them

bjt wrote:

I'll test this (PM2) when I get a chance, it was definitely working on my AWE64 Gold at one point.

Thanks, AWE64 Gold is my main sound card, any advice will be very helpful for me. Im a collector of Princess Maker's games, and really love to play the game, specially in real hardware

Maybe the main problem, is that i cant set the AWE64 to IRQ2... IRQ9 yes, but the CTCM software refuse about irq2

Reply 229 of 438, by kbs6271

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MAINBOARD - MSI MS6309 V2.0 integrated sound chip and MIDI/GAME port : VIA VT1611A
- Softmpu1.9, sb:220 irq:9 mpu:330 (dma:1)
1)Princess maker2 - pass
2)Curse of Enchantia - pass
3)David Wolf - pass
4)Innocent Until Caught - pass
5)Sorcerian - pass

Reply 231 of 438, by kbs6271

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AWE64 GOLD - Princess Maker 2 test
- Softmpu1.9, sb:220 irq:9 mpu:330 (dma:1)
:MAINBOARD - MSI MS6119(440BX) + Tualatin 1.3G --- fail(No output Midi signal)
But
-MAINBOARD - MSI MS6119 : L1 cache OFF --- PASS

Reply 233 of 438, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

I agree. 😀
Thank you and the others who made this great piece of software.

Also tested it on a CMI 8738 based PCI card, it detects MPU but not Sound Blaster. But the 8738's DOS support is bad from the beginning.

Tried the same CMI 8738 card in a different computer (with a SiS 630ET based Asus TUSC motherboard) and now it works with SoftMPU, but setting it to IRQ9 cases SoftMPU to lock the machine. The onboard SiS 7018 sound solution doesn't have this problem and works fine with IRQ9.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 234 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm having a weird problem with SoftMPU: the application freezes on load. E.g. softmpu itself doesn't start and doesn't return control to the DOS prompt.

I'm running it per the wiki:
> SOFTMPU.EXE /SB:220 /IRQ:5 /MPU:330

I have a Sound Blaster AWE64 Value (CT4500), running on a Celeron 500 processor. Running Windows 98 rebooted into DOS, with nothing abnormal loaded (just Himem.sys, EMM386, MSCDEX and Cute Mouse). Motherboard is a eMachine-built " FLORIDA-TG 199900603".

If they are useful, some photos of the machine (inside and out) are available here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDV33NQ … zJyalFnVDVCLUJB

Please let me know what I can/should try out for you.

Reply 236 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correct. I run CTCM, then AWEUTIL /S to initialize the midi and FM playback (this option doesn't actually load the TSR). Finally I use mixerset to set non-zero volumes for CD audio and line in. Here are the exact autoexec.bat and config.sys files I use when I reboot into DOS mode:

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DosApp\Infozip;C:\Creative;C:\DosApp;C:\Creative\Drv;C:\GRAVIS\CORESO~1
SET CTCM=C:\WINDOWS
SET SOUND=C:\CREATIVE
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
LH C:\DosApp\cm\ctmouse
LH C:\Windows\Command\Mscdex /d:mscd000 /E
C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
C:\Creative\Aweutil /S
C:\Creative\Drv\Mixerset /LI:192;0 /CD:192;0

CONFIG.SYS

FILES=40
BUFFERS=10
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\Windows\emm386.exe RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DosApp\vide-cdd.sys /d:mscd000

I also tried removing the aweutil line, but that made no difference.

Reply 238 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, SoftMPU is freshly downloaded and the zip filename is bjt42-softmpu-v1.9-2-gc517658.zip. Windows is using the same resources as reported by device manager. I also haven't had any problems with normal game support, both "modern" (Blood) or retro (Ultima 7 & Ultima Underworld which use UART). Is there any verbose mode I can use where it will tell me what it's doing when it crashes?