VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 300 of 438, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, I can see GSplay playing the Midi-Song, but I can't hear anything. Neither Internal-Speaker, or on the MT32 connected to the Joystick-Out of the Performa.
Here are some screens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/se … 57672650475312/

Please let my know what you think.

Thx
Doc

PS: Keep in mind:
However, some bad news. I just read this in an Addendum to the Macintosh User's Guide (text document included in with the DOS Compatibility Installer Disk - Mac environment, version 1.0.5):

MIDI Transfers Supported on Macintosh Only The LC 630 DOS Compatible does not have the capability of sending and receiving MIDI […]
Show full quote

MIDI Transfers Supported on Macintosh Only
The LC 630 DOS Compatible does not have the capability of sending and receiving MIDI data through the serial port for DOS and Windows.
MIDI data does travel internally on the PC side, but when connected direct for use with a MIDI instrument, no data will transfer.
MIDI transfers are fully supported on the Macintosh side.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 301 of 438, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. It seems there are two questions here.

- Does the onboard joystick port transmit MIDI from the Vibra16 MPU interface.

You don't need SoftMPU to test this. Just connect your MT-32 to the joystick port and play a song using GSPlay.

- Can the MAC's onboard serial port be used with SoftMPU's serial output mode

Please bear in mind that the serial mode is only intended for use with MIDI devices that also support PC serial MIDI (not MT-32).
So, it's not surprising that output was garbled. You could use a Roland SC-55/55MkII/88 in MT-32 compatibility mode though. Or, use MIDI thru on one of these to connect an MT-32.

Does the MAC serial port support a true MIDI baudrate (31250)?

Reply 302 of 438, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx!

1. Does the onboard joystick port transmit MIDI from the Vibra16 MPU interface.
I never heard anything with or without softmpu. So I think, no Midi-Transfer over the JoystickPort.

2. Can the MAC's onboard serial port be used with SoftMPU's serial output mode
On the Mac-Side I use Mac-Midi-Man connected to the modem-port. This works fine on the Macside!
The PC-Interface can map COM1 (PC) to Mac (Modem-Port). I can choose "normal" or "fast" mode. With both I get signals on my MT32 (over the MacMidiMan) but all sound garbage.

I think I will make (more) photos of this.

Reply 303 of 438, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

On the Mac-Side I use Mac-Midi-Man connected to the modem-port. This works fine on the Macside!
The PC-Interface can map COM1 (PC) to Mac (Modem-Port). I can choose "normal" or "fast" mode. With both I get signals on my MT32 (over the MacMidiMan) but all sound garbage.

I understand now.
In case you need to know, SoftMPU sets the serial port to 38400 baud.

Reply 304 of 438, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been thinking about this lately and I'm a bit puzzled.

I own a Midiman MM-401, and have been using it to output to my MT-32 (old) and GM modules. In my particular situation, using an MT-32 (OLD) on a newer system (K6-2 500), it seems likely that I will run into speed related issues with my MT32 in some games. Will SoftMPU fix this problem with the /DELAYSYSEX switch?

If so, am I gaining anything at all by using the Midiman as opposed to any other MPU-401 interface? I know these cards are quite rare and pretty valuable, since they generally work well without SoftMPU, but... if SoftMPU can still improve compatibility of the Midiman, is there any reason I shouldn't just switch to using the MPU-401 interface on another card, like an AWE64 Gold or YMF719? SoftMPU seems to pass all the tests that people put it through.

On that same note, what would be the limitation of SoftMPU? What systems would it be unsuitable for? I've read that EMM386 is required, so presumably a 286 or 8088 would be too old to use it, but what about an actual 386 or 486? I'm just trying to determine if there's any reason at all to seek out intelligent MPU-401 interfaces like this Midiman card, now that SoftMPU is so good.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 305 of 438, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I've been thinking about this lately and I'm a bit puzzled. […]
Show full quote

I've been thinking about this lately and I'm a bit puzzled.

I own a Midiman MM-401, and have been using it to output to my MT-32 (old) and GM modules. In my particular situation, using an MT-32 (OLD) on a newer system (K6-2 500), it seems likely that I will run into speed related issues with my MT32 in some games. Will SoftMPU fix this problem with the /DELAYSYSEX switch?

If so, am I gaining anything at all by using the Midiman as opposed to any other MPU-401 interface? I know these cards are quite rare and pretty valuable, since they generally work well without SoftMPU, but... if SoftMPU can still improve compatibility of the Midiman, is there any reason I shouldn't just switch to using the MPU-401 interface on another card, like an AWE64 Gold or YMF719? SoftMPU seems to pass all the tests that people put it through.

On that same note, what would be the limitation of SoftMPU? What systems would it be unsuitable for? I've read that EMM386 is required, so presumably a 286 or 8088 would be too old to use it, but what about an actual 386 or 486? I'm just trying to determine if there's any reason at all to seek out intelligent MPU-401 interfaces like this Midiman card, now that SoftMPU is so good.

Does your MT-32 (Old) display either of these messages?

Exc. Buffer Overflow
Exc. Checksum Error

If Exc. Buffer Overflow, either press Master Volume and number 4 (Overflow Assign?) 1 for yes or 2 for no, or as you suggested, run SoftMPU with the following command:

softmpu /sb:220 /irq:5 /mpu:330 /delaysysex

***NOTE:*** replace the /sb /irq and /mpu with your configuration on both your sound card and MPU-401 Intelligent card

If Exc. Checksum error, either disable your cache or run a slowdown program, like MoSlo (I use MoSlo for NHL Hockey 95 and it almost works). Either that or purchase a Roland UM-ONE mkii USB MIDI adapter, install Munt onto your computer, obtain the ROM files (PCM and CONTROL) for the MT-32 and CM-32L, install the MIDI driver in Munt, plug in the cable that says "Plug into MIDI out" into the MPU-401's MIDI-OUT.

Also, keep in mind the Midiman MM-401 doesn't work with Legend Entertainment games, like Frederik Pohl's Gateway for example. I have a Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 clone card that is 100% Roland MPU-4o1 compatible, and NHL Hockey 95 doesn't have the right instruments/notes on my MT-32 (Old) since it gives me Exc. Checksum errors across the room.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 306 of 438, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

can i use a mt32 without any soundcard?

i have a very small retro pc 486/66 that has currently only a covox and the pc-speaker.
afaik the "serial-connection" with softmpu requires a SB-Card or am I wrong here?

Thx
Doc

Reply 307 of 438, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

can i use a mt32 without any soundcard?

Yes, you can, but then you require another device to output your sound to from the MT-32 (like amplified speakers, headphones or a standard amp).

dr.zeissler wrote:

i have a very small retro pc 486/66 that has currently only a covox and the pc-speaker.
afaik the "serial-connection" with softmpu requires a SB-Card or am I wrong here?

No, it's meant to out via the serial connection of your PC. A Sound Blaster card doesn't have a serial port, but if you don't have a sound card installed, it will limit compatibility with games that require MPU interrupts.
More information on this: Video demo of SoftMPU's new serial output feature & SoftMPU project needs your help! (game & sound card testing) (which is a couple of posts up).
Just take note that an MT-32 doesn't have PC serial MIDI support.

Reply 308 of 438, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, I think I need the games that require an interrupt generated by the soundcard. So if I have only one isa-slot in my 486/66.
What Soundcard should I buy if I want an very good compatiblity and running softmpu with it? SB16/AWE64/GUS/ESS/?? (No hanging notes)

Reply 309 of 438, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Has anybody tried SoftMPU with a Terratec Maestro 32/96? The Maestro 32 is in the compatibility list but not the 32/96.

I have one in my 486 machine (see my signature) and so far it seems to be running perfectly with SoftMPU and a Roland MT-32 (OLD)

The System Specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Aopen/Acer VI15G
CPU: AMD AM486DX4 100Mhz
L2 Cache: 256KB
RAM: One 32MB Stick of 72Pin 60ns EDO RAM
I/O Controller: Goldstar VLB I/O Controller, Serial 1&2, Parallel, Gameport (Disabled), IDE, Floppy
Graphics Card: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 VLB Card with 1MB VRAM
Soundcard: Terratec Maestro 32/96 (SB Pro compatibility and built in High Quality Midi)
CD Drive: LiteOn CD/RW Drive
Floppy Drive A: Alps 3,5' 1,44MB Drive
Floppy Drive B: Mitsumi 5 1/4' 1,2MB Drive
Hard Drive: 4GB Western Digital (Two 2GB Partitions)
Midi Module: Roland MT-32 (OLD)

The games I have tested so far are:

Silpheed: Requires SoftMPU to be loaded, works flawlessly.
Ultima 6: Requires SoftMPU to be loaded, works flawlessly. (Needs L1 cache disabled)
Sam and Max Hit the Road: Does not require SoftMPU, works flawlessly.
Strike Commander: Requires SoftMPU to be loaded, works flawlessly. (Needs /DELAYSYSEX)
King's Quest 5: Requires SoftMPU to be loaded, works flawlessly.

I'm probably going to try some more games but it seems to work great. I'd also say it supports IRQ 2/9 since you can configure the Midi Ports to use IRQ 9 in the setup program. I have not verified that though.

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 311 of 438, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As of now, I have a Music Quest MPU401 clone card installed in my old Win98SE/DOS gaming rig, and unfortunately, when using SoftMPU to prevent buffer overflow messages showing up on my MT-32 (Old) since some games require between a 286 and 486 CPU while using a slowdown program such as Moslo, it causes an uproar.

The major issue is running DooM v 1.9 on my computer with the music set to either GS or Sound Canvas since I have a Roland SC-55 hooked up to my computer which the game does play music, but when I run Frederik Pohl's Gateway and Gateway II: Homeworld, I don't get any music, just only sound effects, such as the dropshaft noise in Gateway. After a system restart, the problem goes away.

Is there, by any chance, the SoftMPU program can be installed/uninstalled from the residential memory using flags as follows down below?

softmpu /sb:220 /irq:7 /mpu:330 /delaysysex /r
softmpu /sb:220 /irq:7 /mpu:330 /delaysysex /u

with /r as run in residential memory and /u as remove and quit from residential memory

Other than that, the program is great. Maybe it's a bug in the SoftMPU program or just me having issues. Every other game, except for NHL Hockey 95 works with both the program and my MPU401 card (NHL Hockey 95 has correct instruments at the beginning, up until the gameplay (hockey sticks hitting the ice, passing to someone or hitting the board, and the siren are either incorrect instruments, or missing, except in DOSBox). That and I might as well build a 486 DX4-100 or a 386 DX-40 (AMD only) computer for the games I have on my K6-2 system that require a processor between a 286 and 386 and the K6-2 is basically an equivalent to the Pentium 2 processors.

This is the card that does work with SoftMPU: Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 Clone Card and every game I have works with it.

Reply 312 of 438, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no plans to add an unload feature. I see SoftMPU being loaded before games that actually need it, not in autoexec.bat. It does some fairly involved reprogramming of the RTC and PIT, not something you want in the background all the time.

Reply 313 of 438, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came across an issue when running the program on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 plus and when trying to play Frederik Pohl's Gateway and Gateway ][ Homeworld: the system locks up. I have an Intel i486SX2-50 installed (stock) and it's not good at all. However, the games do run without it, but output incorrect or missing instruments. Does SOFTMPU require L2 cache and a co-processor? I don't have L2 cache for the system at all since there isn't any installed, or an i486DX2-66 for that matter. Where can I find the L2 cache for the Packard Bell? The motherboard is a PB450M+

Edit: found the problem: apparently, my sound card's DMA was set to 0, not 1, and it also had an IRQ conflict with the parallel port (LPT1 uses IRQ 7). I changed the DMA on the board from 1 to 3 via jumpers, changed the sound card's IRQ to 5 and DMA to 1, and all is well. I also disabled the CPU's cache for games that only use a 386 processor and no more.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-03-07, 03:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 314 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm having a weird problem lately: SoftMPU isn't detecting my EMM386! As far as I can tell, nothing has changed between now and when I was previously using SoftMPU earlier in the thread. I've used mem /c /p to confirm EMM386 is loaded, and I'm using the same batch file I set up before to use the same options... but that part probably doesn't even matter until the version check passes.

Any more information I can provide? Do you want me to dump any specific memory with QBasic or any other fun stuff?

Reply 315 of 438, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The version of EMM386 and switches you use would be interesting.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 316 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the version provided with DOS 6.0, which reports itself as 4.48.

Most configurations use the following line (thanks to Memmaker):
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS HIGHSCAN WIN=DD00-DFFF WIN=DA00DCFF

However, I also have a simplified configuration for games that require EMS:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE HIGHSCAN

Neither config works.

Reply 317 of 438, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS 6.0 provides 4.45, not 4.48. EMM386 4.45 does not include the function SoftMPU uses to capture the port accesses.
4.48 should be included in DOS 6.2 / DOS 6.21 / WfW 3.11. It also should work, however I have not tested every EMM386 version there is.

The version you load in config.sys is important. To find out you can add VERBOSE output, then it reports on boot which version it is.

If it is really 4.48 you are loading then we have to try reproducing this.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 318 of 438, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh. So that explains things.

When I was testing versions, I was running EMM368 directly from the command prompt after startup to query the version. Trouble is, my system path was running the C:\Windows version, which wasn't the one loaded. Manually running the C:\Dos version confirms that it is, indeed, 4.45

I fixed my config.sys to point to the one in C:\Windows and all is hunky dory. Thanks for your help.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what is different from before. The only thing that makes sense would be if I was testing in Windows 98 DOS originally, then ported to my true DOS 6 drive after I set that up, but I don't *remember* doing that.

*shrug*. ALL is good now. Hopefully this will help someone else as well.

Reply 319 of 438, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tryed the softmpu for some time now 😀
All games im making test with are originals that i own (i can show proof anytime)
lots of games are working great, cant say if something wrong goes after a while but
i can definetly hear music 😀 and pretty nice ones
-----------------------------------------------------
486/dx4
Testing with a Roland MT-32 (old)
from a SB16 CT2950
Port:220 Irq:5 DMA:1 Midi:330
------------------------------------------------------
7th Guest - Works !
11th Hour - Not working at all, even with /delaysysex, would need help. (buffer overf.)
A-10 Tank killer - Wont work.. IRQ 2/9 problem
Beneath a steel sky - Works ! need /delaysysex...music plays but movies seems to get problem with my current SB16.
Castle of Dr. Brain - No Need for SoftMpu
Codename : iceman - Works !
Colonel's Bequest - Works !
Conquest of camelot - Works !
Companions of Xanth - Works ! (disable L1 cache)
Daggerfall - not working
Dark Force - Works !
Discworld - No Need for SoftMpu
Dungeon Hack - Works !
Dune - No Need for SoftMpu
Dune 2 - No need for Softmpu (but need patch for MT32)
Eye of Beholder III - No Need for SoftMpu
Elvira : Mistress of the Dark - Works !
Elvira : Jaws of Cerberus - Works !
Elvira : Waxworks - Works !
Gabriel Knight : Sins of the Father CD - Works ! (But need to patch text problem)
Hook - Works !
Hoyles Book 1 - Works !
Hoyles Book 2 - Works !
I have no mouth and i must scream - Works !
Indiana Jones : fate of atlantis - No Need for SoftMpu
King's Quest I AGI - Works !
King's Quest I SCI - Works !
King's Quest II - Works !
King's Quest IV AGI - Works !
King's Quest IV SCI - Works !
King's Quest V - Works !
King's Quest VI - No need for Softmpu
Lands of Lore : Throne of Chaos - No need for Softmpu
Laura Bow : Dagger of Amon-ra - No Need for Softmpu
Leisure Suit Larry I EGA/VGA SCI - Works ! BUT MT32+SB option wont work...only MT-32 option
Leisure Suit Larry III - Works !
Leisure Suit Larry V - Works ! (if you dont use softmpu, you might get check sum error)
Leisure Suit Larry VI - No Need for softmpu
Les Manley : Search for the King - Works !
Lode Runner Returns - No Need for softmpu
Loom - Works ! (need L1 Cache disabled)
Lure of the Temptress - Works ! but you need to use /Delaysysex, else overflow happens
Magic Carpet - No Need for Softmpu
Master of Magic - No need for Softmpu
Monkey Island I - Works ! (Need L1 cache disabled)
Monkey Island II - No Need for SoftMpu
Menzoberranzan - Works !
Phantasmagoria - No Need for Softmpu
Police Quest II - Works !
Police Quest IV Open Season - No Need for softmpu
Prince of Persia - Works !
Princess Maker II - Not Working 🙁 seems this is the irq 2/9 problem
Relentless - No Need for SoftMpu
Rise of the Dragon - No Need for SoftMpu
Sam & Max : Hit the Road - No Need for SoftMpu
Silpheed - Works !
Simon the Sorcerer - Works !
Space Quest II - Works !
Space Quest III - Works !
Space Quest IV - Works !
Sid Meier's Civilization - no need for SoftMpu
Street Fighter II - Crash the PC right at start.
Under a Killing Moon - No Need for SoftMpu
Veil of Darkness - Works !
Wayne's World - No Need for SoftMpu
X-com : UFO defense - No Need for SoftMpu
X-com Terror from the deep - Grr...i can only get Music to work if No sound is chosen, this problem is driving me crazy
Tie Fighters - No Need for SoftMpu
Zeliard - Works !
-------------------------------------------------
Thats all for now 😀 if something looks wrong, just tell me and ill double verify.
i may have made a mistake or two when i wrote all my configs

Last edited by escarioth on 2018-04-05, 00:33. Edited 10 times in total.

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!