VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 160 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the report. I need to get an ESS card and see what's up.

I actually ordered what I thought was one off eBay but when it arrived it was another YMF card - doh!

Still haven't had a chance to set my retro stuff up after a house move but I'm aiming to be up and running by Christmas. Too much 'real life' stuff going on.

Reply 161 of 443, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if anyone has other EA games from this period it would be great to test them with SoftMPU. Keep an eye out for buffer overflow as Populous has this problem.

Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs behaves exactly the same way as Budokan: when launched as "BBALL.EXE MT32" without having intelligent mode control, it freezes the PC. You can add another game to hall of fame... 😎

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 164 of 443, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great job, again!

I suspect either an SB Pro II or a "stronger" card is the minimum spec for this version with games that provide both MIDI and speech. On a CT1330A (SB Pro I), the sound effects are slightly distorted and the speech is strange - stutters rapidly, sometimes it sounds like skipping about 200 ms out of 1000 ms data...
Ah well, Admiral Ackbar never sounded more Calamari 😀

Then again, speech is a rare thing in games before 1991.

Reply 165 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I noticed some distortion on my SB Pro 2 with Lands of Lore. It wasn't as bad as what you describe though.

It looks like the SB-MIDI DSP commands disrupt sample playback somehow. Don't think there's anything that can be done to fix it. Maybe this is part of the reason we don't see more games with SB-MIDI support.

Oh well, at least it doesn't crash 😀 It should still be useful for non-speech games.

Added SB Pro 1 to the compatibility list.

Reply 166 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After further thought the speech stuttering is probably caused by the same thing that messes up intelligent-mode interrupts. Basically it seems like the SB-MIDI DSP commands either prematurely acknowledge interrupt requests from the DSP or cause some interrupts to not happen in the first place. Intelligent mode interrupts with SB-MIDI work fine on Bochs' SB emulation. Maybe it's an undocumented behaviour of the real SB hardware.

Reply 167 of 443, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Were it so, I would not be surprised at all. I have been "testing" dozens of Creative cards for years, there really is no perfect all arounder, just better models for specific purposes.
All those quirks...
Did you know that Dune 2 has different memory requirements for 1st gen. and PnP Blasters ? A PnP Blaster can do SB Pro speech + effects + MT32 (or General MIDI) with 617 kb conventional RAM (rare crashes) whereas a 1st gen Blaster like the CT1740 wont cut it all - the game will terminate instantly with a low RAM msg...

For the scope of hardware and games in question, SoftMPU v1.7 already covers the vast majority of games that are sensible to run on 386 with a Pro or Pro 2.

Reply 168 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Games tested with QEMM 9.0:

Star Wars TIE Fighter: Works with the program without issues, crashes when using the Adlib/OPL3 Synthesizer (making a comparison video to put on YouTube)
Wing Commander 2: Speech and music crashes, and terminates unexpectingly
Lemmings 1 and Lemmings 2: Slower than my laptop and big desktop and crashes.
Frederik Pohl's Gateway 1 and Frederik Pohl's Gateway 2: Homeworld: Run great, doesn't crash
Police Quest 1: VGA, 2, and 3 run tremendously without crashing (PQ1 is slow when using the MT-32 Synthesizer)
DOOM: Works without a problem, but crashes when using the Sound Blaster/Adlib Synthesizer
Earl Weaver's Baseball 2: Crashes and slows down.

Games tested with Microsoft EMM 4.46 (optimized memory, 610KB conventional memory free):

All of the games listed above using either the Roland MT-32 Synthesizer (with SoftMPU v1.7 loaded during system startup) or not listed works and never crashes, hell, they start faster and run pretty fast.

For those who are using QEMM 7.03 and higher, Wing Commander and others would have sound issues in both speech and music and will crash; and will tell you to restart or terminate the game.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 169 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried Wing Commander II under QEMM 7.03 and it worked fine here (Speech and Midi using SoftMPU on an ESS 1868). Maybe your QEMM config is a bit too aggressive. I just have DEVICE=QEMM386.SYS RAM and nothing else.

Reply 170 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There seems to be missing music in Frederik Pohl's Gateway using the Roland MT-32 at the beginning.

First music that plays: Prospector Theme Part 1
Second music that should play: Random theme
Third music that should play: Prospector Theme Part 2

When I play the game using the Sound Blaster OPL3 chipset, all of the music plays perfectly.

For the Roland MT-32, I have to press Master Volume and Rhythm to reset all instruments, and song #2 plays after typing in music off then music on, not #3 though.
Not sure if it's a bug or if my sound card hates me. Does anyone else have this issue?

Reply 171 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Other games tested that works:

A10 v1.5 --> works with any IRQ (2, 5, 7, 9)
Earl Weaver's Baseball II --> works with any IRQ (2, 5, 7, 9)
Frederik Pohl's Gateway --> works with any IRQ (2, 5, 7, 9) missing music: requires a 100% compatible Roland MPU-401 card
Gateway II --> works with any IRQ (2, 5, 7, 9)
LucasArts TIE Fighter --> works with any IRQ (2, 5, 7, 9)

:::Note:::

SoftMPU only works with the following MPU port #s:

330 <-- default depending on your sound card

Reply 172 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, got my new MPU-IPC-T up and running and tested a few things out 😎

- In Gateway the second piece of music plays fine with the Roland card, so this is a bug with SoftMPU. The same problem happens with Dosbox too (and of course SoftMPU's high level logic uses the Dosbox code). I will probably raise a bug with the Dosbox devs and see if srecko or anyone else bites 😀
- Confirmed keropi's report of /DELAYSYSEX not working with Roland cards. Need to look into this more, but in general even without SoftMPU I can see that the Roland card generally transmits faster than the soundcard MPU interfaces.

I've also revised the timing logic so that the 'slow' parts of SoftMPU are only active when needed (i.e. when playing a game that needs MPU interrupts, or when /DELAYSYSEX is active). This means that the performance hit for the majority of games should be less noticeable on 386 class machines.

Reply 173 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:
OK, got my new MPU-IPC-T up and running and tested a few things out :cool: […]
Show full quote

OK, got my new MPU-IPC-T up and running and tested a few things out 😎

- In Gateway the second piece of music plays fine with the Roland card, so this is a bug with SoftMPU. The same problem happens with Dosbox too (and of course SoftMPU's high level logic uses the Dosbox code). I will probably raise a bug with the Dosbox devs and see if srecko or anyone else bites 😀
- Confirmed keropi's report of /DELAYSYSEX not working with Roland cards. Need to look into this more, but in general even without SoftMPU I can see that the Roland card generally transmits faster than the soundcard MPU interfaces.

I've also revised the timing logic so that the 'slow' parts of SoftMPU are only active when needed (i.e. when playing a game that needs MPU interrupts, or when /DELAYSYSEX is active). This means that the performance hit for the majority of games should be less noticeable on 386 class machines.

Ah, good to know. Figured it wasn't my sound card, because all of the Gateway II: Homeworld music plays without missing a beat.

Plus, I revised my system's boot up (autoexec.bat) to the following and made a new file to let me choose which game to play (games.bat):

autoexec.bat
-----------------------------------------------
:::Output omitted:::
@echo off
echo Y - Play games
rem calls the games.bat file (if Y is pressed)
echo N - continue with MS-DOS
rem if N is pressed (or within 15 seconds), MS-DOS continues
echo.
@echo off
choice /C:YN /T:N,15 "Do you want to play games "
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO GAMES

:GAMES
call games.bat
rem opens the games.bat file

:END

:::Output Omitted:::
games.bat
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off
echo Which game do you want to play?
echo.
echo A - A10 v1.5 J - Lemmings 2 S - NHL Hockey 97
echo B - Sid Meier's Civilization K - Lemmings T - Pac-Man
echo C - Champ Kong L - Mario U - Police Quest: VGA - Adlib
echo D - DOOM M - Mario Bros. V - Police Quest: VGA - Roland
echo E - Dark Queen of Krynn N - Monkey Island Adlib W - Police Quest II - Adlib
echo F - Earl Weaver's Baseball II O - Monkey Island Internal Speaker X - Police Quest II - Roland
echo G - Galagon (Galaga) P - Monkey Island Roland Y - Police Quest III
echo H - Frederik Pohl's Gateway Q - Ms. Pac-Man Z - Taco Bell Tasty Temple Challenge
echo I - Gateway II: Homeworld R - NHL Hockey 95 --------------------------------
echo 1 - TIE Fighter 2 - Wing Commander II 0 - Exit
echo.
@echo off
D:
choice /C:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ120 /T:0,15 "Which game do you want to play "
IF ERRORLEVEL 29 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 28 GOTO WC2
IF ERRORLEVEL 27 GOTO TIE
IF ERRORLEVEL 26 GOTO TEMPLE
IF ERRORLEVEL 25 GOTO PQ3
IF ERRORLEVEL 24 GOTO PQ2
IF ERRORLEVEL 23 GOTO PQ2-A
IF ERRORLEVEL 22 GOTO PQ
IF ERRORLEVEL 21 GOTO PQ-A
IF ERRORLEVEL 20 GOTO PAC-MAN
IF ERRORLEVEL 19 GOTO NHL97
IF ERRORLEVEL 18 GOTO NHL95
IF ERRORLEVEL 17 GOTO MPAC-MAN
IF ERRORLEVEL 16 GOTO MONKEY-R
IF ERRORLEVEL 15 GOTO MONKEY-I
IF ERRORLEVEL 14 GOTO MONKEY-A
IF ERRORLEVEL 13 GOTO MARIOBRO
IF ERRORLEVEL 12 GOTO MARIO
IF ERRORLEVEL 11 GOTO LEMMINGS
IF ERRORLEVEL 10 GOTO LEMM2
IF ERRORLEVEL 9 GOTO GATEWAY2
IF ERRORLEVEL 8 GOTO GATEWAY
IF ERRORLEVEL 7 GOTO GALAGON
IF ERRORLEVEL 6 GOTO EWB2
IF ERRORLEVEL 5 GOTO DQK
IF ERRORLEVEL 4 GOTO DOOM
IF ERRORLEVEL 3 GOTO D-KONG
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO CIV
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO A10

:A10
cd games
call a10.bat
goto end

:civ
cd games
call civ.bat
goto end

:d-kong
Show last 136 lines
cd games
call d-kong.bat
goto end

:doom
cd games
call doom.bat
goto end

:dqk
cd games
call dqk.bat
goto end

:ewb2
cd games
call ewb2.bat
goto end

:Galagon
cd games
call Galagon.bat
goto end

:gateway
cd games
call gateway.bat
goto end

:gateway2
cd games
call gateway2.bat
goto end

:lemm2
cd games
call lemm2.bat
goto end

:lemmings
cd games
call lemmings.bat
goto end

:Mario
cd games
call Mario.bat
goto end

:mariobro
cd games
call mariobro.bat
goto end

:monkey-a
cd games
call monkey-a.bat
goto end

:monkey-I
cd games
call monkey-i.bat
goto end

:monkey-r
cd games
call monkey-r.bat
goto end

:mpac-man
cd games
call mpac-man.bat
goto end

:nhl95
cd games
call nhl95.bat
goto end

:nhl97
cd games
call nhl97.bat
goto end

:Pac-Man
cd games
call pac-man.bat
goto end

:PQ-A
cd games
call pq-a.bat
goto end

:PQ
cd games
call pq.bat
goto end

:PQ2-A
cd games
call pq2-a.bat
goto end

:PQ2
cd games
call pq2.bat
goto end

:PQ3
cd games
call pq3.bat
goto end

:temple
cd games
call temple.bat
goto end

:TIE
cd games
call tie.bat
goto end

:WC2
cd games
call wc2.bat
goto end

:end
echo.
@echo off
echo Exiting...
echo.
@echo off

Sorry for the long list... That's my actual MS-DOS games collection (downloaded and acquired from floppies and CD-ROMs).
All of the goto end in the games.bat file tells the game after I either click exit or hit ALT+X the games quit instead of going to the next one.

Choice MS-DOS Command code:

choice /C:[choices] /T:[goto choice],X[time in seconds from 1 to infinity] "String of text "
IF ERRORLEVEL 255 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO Label1

:Label1
[insert commands]
goto end (mandatory for either games or sets of commands)

:end

:::NOTE::: [choices] range from A-Z, 1-0, and special characters (!@#$%^&*()-_=+[{]};:'",<.>/?\|`~)
:::NOTE 2::: if you're making a games batch file, always add the goto end for each game, otherwise every game would play. Same applies for commands.

Reply 174 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright. I decided to replace my PCI sound card with an older ISA Sound Card: a Sound Blaster Vibra 16xv PnP ISA CT4170 Sound Card, and the SoftMPU program does work with the system. Doesn't work without it, but TIE Fighter and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis don't complain if the games operate in either UART or intelligent mode surprisingly.

Reply 175 of 443, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those 2 games never needed an Intelligent Mode MPU401 😀

Try Wing Commander, Space Quest 3 or The Heart of China.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 176 of 443, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heart Of China doesn't need intelligent mode either 😀

Updated first post with current testing status and added a couple new cards that need testing

ESS ISA support is fixed for the next version btw.

Reply 178 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested Sid Meier's Civilization with SBMPU401 program (found on here with the help of Google) <-- without SoftMPU running, and the music works surprisingly, even with Police Quest I: VGA, the game works with the program listed above... I'll be surprised if NHL Hockey 95 would work with both SBMPU401 and SoftMPU running at the same time, or just with the SBMPU401 program.

The SBMPU401 program allows games to play through the external MIDI/Joystick port on a Sound Blaster ISA Card (surprising).

Reply 179 of 443, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got Frederik Pohl's Gateway to work with DOSBox officially after applying new lines of code; works fantastically. Now, if only I can build a new version of SoftMPU to do the same as DOSBox... I inserted the codes/commands in the appropriate files:

---pic.c---
void PIC_WriteCommand(Bitu port,Bitu val,Bitu iolen);
void PIC_WriteCommand(Bitu port,Bitu val,Bitu iolen) {
write_command(port,val,iolen);
}
---pic.c---
---mpu401.c---
case 0xac: /* Request version */
PIC_WriteCommand(0x20,0x60,1);
QueueByte(MSG_MPU_ACK);
QueueByte(MPU401_VERSION);
QueueByte(MSG_MPU_ACK);
return;
case 0xad: /* Request revision */
QueueByte(MSG_MPU_ACK);
QueueByte(MPU401_REVISION);
return;
---mpu401.c---

I get an error in the pic.c file when compiling with my old Ultimate DOS PC:

PIC.OBJ(PIC.C) ; Error L2029: '_write_command; : unresolved external <-- C:\MASM611\BINR\LINK.EXE /NOI /BATCH /FAR /NODEFAULTLIBRARYSEARCH mpu401.obj midi.obj pic.obj SoftMPU.obj,..\SoftMPU.exe,,,,, command

Is there a way to build the program with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition, or is that physically impossible?
This will be my second time making a program with patches in the codes. That and I need to fix the keyboard input lockup for the game to work without freezing the computer or locking the keyboard and forcing a system restart.

Edit: I have Microsoft C Compiler 7 for Windows on my Windows 98SE Virtual PC and the one error message went away, now the linker program still gives out the error listed above. Getting close here, and if only I can find a link command that'll work. Might as well install Microsoft C Compiler 7 on a Windows 2000/XP Virtual PC and copy the exact files and folders for the appropriate building method. I'll post back to see whether this will work or not.

Edit 2: Doesn't want to build in Windows XP... gives me the same exact error.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2014-01-21, 04:20. Edited 2 times in total.