VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi people!

its possible to connect directly to com1 the MT32 use with SoftMPU to play games Sierra? or if there is some kind of special cable .. thanks

Reply 1 of 19, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Refer to the following topic Video demo of SoftMPU's new serial output feature
You can also go the website and refer to the documentation: http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

However, I'm not sure whether you can actually use this feature with an MT-32, due to the 5-pin MIDI DIN interface.

Reply 2 of 19, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

However, I'm not sure whether you can actually use this feature with an MT-32, due to the 5-pin MIDI DIN interface.

You can, certainly, but it requires the use of a go-between to perform the 38400-baud serial -> 31250-baud MIDI conversion. All serial-connectable MIDI modules perform this conversion internally, and any such model with a MIDI OUT port can be used to facilitate playback from a connected MT-32, including members of Roland's Sound Canvas family, Yamaha's TG and MU tone generators, and several Korg units. Presumably, something like the port-powered Midiman Portman PC/S could also be used, for an even simpler setup.

Here's a video in which I demonstrate MT-32 playback using SoftMPU's serial output functionality, albeit, through outrageously complex means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaxgtu7Gfc

Reply 3 of 19, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks jesolo , i was seeing that there is no upgrade post, I will ask what's new

Cloudschatze wrote:
You can, certainly, but it requires the use of a go-between to perform the 38400-baud serial -> 31250-baud MIDI conversion. All […]
Show full quote
jesolo wrote:

You can, certainly, but it requires the use of a go-between to perform the 38400-baud serial -> 31250-baud MIDI conversion. All serial-connectable MIDI modules perform this conversion internally, and any such model with a MIDI OUT port can be used to facilitate playback from a connected MT-32, including members of Roland's Sound Canvas family, Yamaha's TG and MU tone generators, and several Korg units. Presumably, something like the port-powered Midiman Portman PC/S could also be used, for an even simpler setup.

Here's a video in which I demonstrate MT-32 playback using SoftMPU's serial output functionality, albeit, through outrageously complex means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaxgtu7Gfc

Thanks Cloudschatze , then to use the SoftMPU is just a matter of having the Yamaha TG100 - Module only ? or i need to have connected the Yamaha TG100 - Modulo Midi and the MT32? Thanks in advance

Reply 4 of 19, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thierry wrote:

Thanks Cloudschatze , then to use the SoftMPU is just a matter of having the Yamaha TG100 - Module only ? or i need to have connected the Yamaha TG100 - Modulo Midi and the MT32? Thanks in advance

DE-9 serial (COM1/2) -> TG100 TO HOST (PC-2 setting)
TG100 MIDI OUT -> MT-32 MIDI IN

Hosa manufacturers a fairly inexpensive 8-pin mini-DIN to DE-9 cable:
http://hosatech.com/product/dbk-100/

Compared to some of the later modules, the TG100 is pretty basic when used as a serial MIDI interface. Lacking routing options, the serial data arriving at its TO HOST port is simultaneously sent to both the internal tone generator and retransmitted through the MIDI OUT. This just means that you'll want to turn down the volume on the TG100 (or leave it's audio outputs unplugged, or send SysEx to disable RX channel reception for each of the 16 parts, etc.) when desiring only MT-32 playback.

Reply 5 of 19, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you, guys, think I can make a 8-pin mini-DIN to DE-9 cable, like above, myself? Are there any electronic components inside, or it's just directly connected? There is the official pinout of this cable

hosa dbk-130.jpg
Filename
hosa dbk-130.jpg
File size
51.88 KiB
Views
File comment
HOSA DBK-103
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a piece of cake, unless it has anything else except wires inside.

EDIT: Here is complete manual. More details on second page. No mention of any additional components...

Filename
DBK-100_Pinout.pdf
File size
253.33 KiB
Downloads
180 downloads
File license

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 6 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-04, 10:06:
Do you, guys, think I can make a 8-pin mini-DIN to DE-9 cable, like above, myself? Are there any electronic components inside, o […]
Show full quote

Do you, guys, think I can make a 8-pin mini-DIN to DE-9 cable, like above, myself? Are there any electronic components inside, or it's just directly connected? There is the official pinout of this cable
hosa dbk-130.jpg
It's a piece of cake, unless it has anything else except wires inside.

EDIT: Here is complete manual. More details on second page. No mention of any additional components...
DBK-100_Pinout.pdf

Generally spraking, I would never use MIDI without the use of an opto-coupler. The RS232 uses +12v/-12v sigalling, whereas the traditional MIDI port uses a current-loop interface. The waveblaster header on soundcards is another beast also and uses 5v TTL levels.

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/ … 0-specification

PS: There was a hack that involves exchanging the quartz crystal of an classic, ISA-based serial port with a different one. This fooled the software side (DOS, BIOS) of the COM port thinking it was running at a standard baudrate, while the port physically operated a 31250 Baud.
Not sure if this involved an 16550 UART's FiFO, though.

Edit: Typos fixed.

Edit: As for that special cable, well I don't know. If the device was made with RS232 in mind then it is okay.
If it originally was made for Japamese computers, PC-98 series, FM Towns, etc. I'd be more careful.
These platform may use other serial ports.
The C64 and Macintosh (68k based) platform had non-PC compatible serial ports, after all.
Hm. Maybe diodes can be used to make cable more safe, not sure.Sorry. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 19, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know why it's working with some games and doesn't work with others?
Tried SoftMPU with IBM Thinkpad 360CE with HOSA DBK-103 cable and output to SC-55K via COM port. Sound is working with:
- Dosmid player
- Lost Vikings
- HOMM 2
- Tetris Classic
Does NOT work with:
- DOOM 1/2
- Heretic
- Tyrian
- Raptor
- ROTT

HOSA.jpg
Filename
HOSA.jpg
File size
48.19 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 8 of 19, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-03-01, 06:56:
Does anyone know why it's working with some games and doesn't work with others? Tried SoftMPU with IBM Thinkpad 360CE with HOSA […]
Show full quote

Tried SoftMPU with IBM Thinkpad 360CE with HOSA DBK-103 cable and output to SC-55K via COM port. Sound is working with:
- Dosmid player
- Lost Vikings
- HOMM 2
- Tetris Classic
Does NOT work with:
- DOOM 1/2
- Heretic
- Tyrian
- Raptor
- ROTT

HOSA.jpg

Re: SoftMPU project needs your help! (game & sound card testing)

Reply 9 of 19, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-01, 07:22:
Does anyone know why it's working with some games and doesn't work with others? Tried SoftMPU with IBM Thinkpad 360CE with HOSA […]
Show full quote

- Dosmid player
- Lost Vikings
- HOMM 2
- Tetris Classic
Does NOT work with:
- DOOM 1/2
- Heretic
- Tyrian
- Raptor
- ROTT

HOSA.jpg

Thanks for the link.
But the thing is that HOMM2 uses dos4gw extender, which I think is an indication of a protected mode game.
Or am I getting it wong?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 10 of 19, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-03-01, 07:36:
Thanks for the link. But the thing is that HOMM2 and Lost Vikings both use dos4gw extender, which I think is an indication of a […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- Dosmid player
- Lost Vikings
- HOMM 2
- Tetris Classic
Does NOT work with:
- DOOM 1/2
- Heretic
- Tyrian
- Raptor
- ROTT

HOSA.jpg

Thanks for the link.
But the thing is that HOMM2 and Lost Vikings both use dos4gw extender, which I think is an indication of a protected mode game.
Or am I getting it wong?

Yeah when I read your list I thought that Lost Vikings might be modern enough to be protected mode, and yeah as far as I know using such an extender means it is a protected mode game. Strange.

Reply 11 of 19, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-01, 07:40:
Bondi wrote on 2021-03-01, 07:36:
Thanks for the link. But the thing is that HOMM2 and Lost Vikings both use dos4gw extender, which I think is an indication of a […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the link.
But the thing is that HOMM2 and Lost Vikings both use dos4gw extender, which I think is an indication of a protected mode game.
Or am I getting it wong?

Yeah when I read your list I thought that Lost Vikings might be modern enough to be protected mode, and yeah as far as I know using such an extender means it is a protected mode game. Strange.

I think I confused it Lost Vikings doesn't actually use dos4gw. But HOMM2 does for sure.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 12 of 19, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I don't know if I am stupid or what the heck is going on but I got SC55 Mk2 which should be able to use the COM port communication. Also I got the original Roland RST-15AT cable and when I tried to plug it in and set up the same way as shown in the video, nothing happens. I tried to google a lot and I found out that there is the swith with mode 1 and mode 2, mode 1 being for Mac, mode 2 being for PC. Also I found out that the device should be communicating on 38400 bauds. How do I set up the port this high on DOS machine? Is it possible or do I need Windows for that?

Attachments

• P_20211230_144000.jpg
    Filename
    P_20211230_144000.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! You can try COMTOOL. It's part of Arachne.

The file attached also contains that utility.
Maybe it can help setting up the com port and enable the fifo.

Good luck. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dosppp06.zip
    File size
    325.77 KiB
    Downloads
    119 downloads
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the question specifically relates to the use of SoftMPU, invoking that for serial-port output will automatically set the 38400 bps rate.

SOFTMPU.EXE /MPU:330 /OUTPUT:COMx
(Where "x" represents the COM port you're trying to use. E.g., "COM1")

The switch on the SC-55mkII needs to be in the RS232C-2 position for the 38400 bps rate. Assuming you've checked and tested all of this already, there may yet be an issue with the selection switch, the cable, or even the serial port itself.

Reply 15 of 19, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys. It turns out - yes, it is me who is stupid. Just brew myself a cup of tea, sat down and start thinking why the frick it is not working. Can you spot what's up? 😁

Attachments

• P_20211230_144141.jpg
    Filename
    P_20211230_144141.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 19, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed I did. I was plugging it blind by reaching my hand behind the computer and both ports are on top of each other. Plugged it in without knowing it is the wrong plug and then proceeded to make myself angry because it didn't work. Whoops

Reply 18 of 19, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, to be fair to you, it was indeed confusing that Roland decided to include a serial cable with a male 25-pin connector instead of a female one, which would have made much more sense, and wouldn't have required either another cable or a gender changer.