Roland MT32 - Direct Connection to Serial / COM1 SoftMPU

Forum for discussion of bugs, code, and other aspects of SoftMPU.

Roland MT32 - Direct Connection to Serial / COM1 SoftMPU

Postby thierry » 2015-9-29 @ 14:45

Hi people!

its possible to connect directly to com1 the MT32 use with SoftMPU to play games Sierra? or if there is some kind of special cable .. thanks
thierry

Re: Roland MT32 - Direct Connection to Serial / COM1 SoftMPU

Postby jesolo » 2015-9-29 @ 15:59

Refer to the following topic viewtopic.php?f=57&t=38238
You can also go the website and refer to the documentation: http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

However, I'm not sure whether you can actually use this feature with an MT-32, due to the 5-pin MIDI DIN interface.
jesolo
Oldbie

Postby Cloudschatze » 2015-9-30 @ 05:28

jesolo wrote:However, I'm not sure whether you can actually use this feature with an MT-32, due to the 5-pin MIDI DIN interface.

You can, certainly, but it requires the use of a go-between to perform the 38400-baud serial -> 31250-baud MIDI conversion. All serial-connectable MIDI modules perform this conversion internally, and any such model with a MIDI OUT port can be used to facilitate playback from a connected MT-32, including members of Roland's Sound Canvas family, Yamaha's TG and MU tone generators, and several Korg units. Presumably, something like the port-powered Midiman Portman PC/S could also be used, for an even simpler setup.

Here's a video in which I demonstrate MT-32 playback using SoftMPU's serial output functionality, albeit, through outrageously complex means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaxgtu7Gfc
Cloudschatze
Oldbie

Postby thierry » 2015-10-01 @ 12:55

Thanks jesolo , i was seeing that there is no upgrade post, I will ask what's new

Cloudschatze wrote:
jesolo wrote:However, I'm not sure whether you can actually use this feature with an MT-32, due to the 5-pin MIDI DIN interface.

You can, certainly, but it requires the use of a go-between to perform the 38400-baud serial -> 31250-baud MIDI conversion. All serial-connectable MIDI modules perform this conversion internally, and any such model with a MIDI OUT port can be used to facilitate playback from a connected MT-32, including members of Roland's Sound Canvas family, Yamaha's TG and MU tone generators, and several Korg units. Presumably, something like the port-powered Midiman Portman PC/S could also be used, for an even simpler setup.

Here's a video in which I demonstrate MT-32 playback using SoftMPU's serial output functionality, albeit, through outrageously complex means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaxgtu7Gfc

Thanks Cloudschatze , then to use the SoftMPU is just a matter of having the Yamaha TG100 - Module only ? or i need to have connected the Yamaha TG100 - Modulo Midi and the MT32? Thanks in advance
thierry

Postby Cloudschatze » 2015-10-02 @ 03:58

thierry wrote:Thanks Cloudschatze , then to use the SoftMPU is just a matter of having the Yamaha TG100 - Module only ? or i need to have connected the Yamaha TG100 - Modulo Midi and the MT32? Thanks in advance

DE-9 serial (COM1/2) -> TG100 TO HOST (PC-2 setting)
TG100 MIDI OUT -> MT-32 MIDI IN

Hosa manufacturers a fairly inexpensive 8-pin mini-DIN to DE-9 cable:
http://hosatech.com/product/dbk-100/

Compared to some of the later modules, the TG100 is pretty basic when used as a serial MIDI interface. Lacking routing options, the serial data arriving at its TO HOST port is simultaneously sent to both the internal tone generator and retransmitted through the MIDI OUT. This just means that you'll want to turn down the volume on the TG100 (or leave it's audio outputs unplugged, or send SysEx to disable RX channel reception for each of the 16 parts, etc.) when desiring only MT-32 playback.
Cloudschatze
Oldbie

Return to SoftMPU