Reply 21 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gweeneth wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:07:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-19, 16:56:

Surprise, SBK2K01 on Windows 11

That looks glorious. Is it in a Virtual Machine environment or is your OS Win 11 itself?

Windows 11 23H1.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 24 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SparkTR wrote on 2024-03-19, 22:11:

What changed, did they fix the emulate heap issue?

No they didn't

feda wrote on 2024-03-20, 01:48:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-19, 16:56:

Surprise, SBK2K01 on Windows 11

That's cool! Explain.

gweeneth, what does Even Viewer say about the CTDs? It should come up in the Windows Logs.

I am trying to but Windows is faster at breaking things. Game starts, engine starts music starts, then Windows sees a fault and closes the game.🤣

Reply 25 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably I got it... but hope for luck because I can't control what Windows does automatically

Using DxWnd latest (download 2,06,03 from sourceforge and the patch from here https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … 7aa26bc68/#5c3f) + dgVoodoo2, the game seems to work in windowed mode at least. Run the game from DxWnd. Use attached profile

Attachments

• Filename
    SBK2001.rar
    File size
    975 Bytes
    Downloads
    20 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 26 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again, I am happy to say the game works with just those simple DxCompat steps, forgoing any XP patch or other tidbits! I've shared it already with some racing folks and I got over 20 people now able to run SBK2001 and SBK2000, and I've shared it elsewhere so other racefans who ran this a couple of decades ago get to enjoy it too 😀.

The only one I can't get going is GP500 as there seems like something with the CPU speed breaks it. I found a modified .exe online but it only works with the (same as default but can't be) default files it comes with, but it sadly has hard-coded changes in it.

Reply 27 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gweeneth wrote on 2024-03-26, 12:49:

Hello again, I am happy to say the game works with just those simple DxCompat steps, forgoing any XP patch or other tidbits! I've shared it already with some racing folks and I got over 20 people now able to run SBK2001 and SBK2000, and I've shared it elsewhere so other racefans who ran this a couple of decades ago get to enjoy it too 😀.

The only one I can't get going is GP500 as there seems like something with the CPU speed breaks it. I found a modified .exe online but it only works with the (same as default but can't be) default files it comes with, but it sadly has hard-coded changes in it.

GP500 worked for me when I tested 3yrs ago, now I am trying to make it work with whatever I tried then (I forgot)

Edit: GP500 works with a modified executable.

Reply 28 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-27, 08:10:

GP500 worked for me when I tested 3yrs ago, now I am trying to make it work with whatever I tried then (I forgot)

Yes, GP500 as far as I've found over the years, only works with the versions including the modified .exe although I could never get my installation to work by only copying the modified .exe, I must use the files that come in those.

The version that you found, was it a compressed game folder or were you successful in retrieving just an .exe?

Reply 29 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gweeneth wrote on 2024-03-27, 23:58:

Yes, GP500 as far as I've found over the years, only works with the versions including the modified .exe although I could never get my installation to work by only copying the modified .exe, I must use the files that come in those.

The version that you found, was it a compressed game folder or were you successful in retrieving just an .exe?

I found an original crack from Class but that didn't work. Most probably the game used some unsupported components with the SafeDisc drm like Rayman 2/Tonic Trouble did.

Another Win2K patched executable goes away online, it is smaller in size and has the unsupported bits removed.

Reply 30 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-28, 05:59:
gweeneth wrote on 2024-03-27, 23:58:

I found an original crack from Class but that didn't work. Most probably the game used some unsupported components with the SafeDisc drm like Rayman 2/Tonic Trouble did.

Another Win2K patched executable goes away online, it is smaller in size and has the unsupported bits removed.

Btw the original Class crack works when the initial privileged instructions are handled with DxWnd. Maybe whatever RIP you decided to use has the Class crack as well.

Reply 31 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-29, 05:35:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-03-28, 05:59:

Btw the original Class crack works when the initial privileged instructions are handled with DxWnd. Maybe whatever RIP you decided to use has the Class crack as well.

I created a disc image off my own disc. Both modified .exes I found off Youtube videos, one has GP500Core2.exe from 2007 and the other has a different name I can't recall right now (it's referred to as Lite). On both cases, when I copied only the .exes to my install, it failed to work and I was really hoping to find a way to either make the original work or to somehow modify this edited .exe/learn how to modify the default .exe so the original settings aren't messed with (such as restarting your time trial lap).

Anyway, I am steering this topic off-topic. Should I bump the other GP500 topic, or would you mind/prefer PM'ing and anything that surfaces can then be shared on the appropriate topic?

Cheers

Reply 32 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@BEEN_Nath_58:
Ok, I haven't been registered for enough time to send PMs so I can't follow up there - apologies if you've been waiting for a message. I shall post about GP 500 in the appropriate topic in the future.

Thank you all who posted to help me with SBK 2001 (and 2000).

Reply 33 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bringing this back up again to say in my W11 machine, this does not work, despite copying the exact same steps as for W10. Using the noCD replacement and DDraw.dll from ddrawcompat, with win 98/me and 16bit color compatibility, the best I get is a black screen that flickers back to desktop.
No success with other ways or compatibility combinations, neither with the SBK01 XP Patch, which loads the game but triggers the .mix error.

Windows can be such a frustrating platform. If 2001 isn't going, there's no hope of 2000 working.

Reply 34 of 35, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gweeneth wrote on 2024-04-14, 22:15:

Bringing this back up again to say in my W11 machine, this does not work, despite copying the exact same steps as for W10. Using the noCD replacement and DDraw.dll from ddrawcompat, with win 98/me and 16bit color compatibility, the best I get is a black screen that flickers back to desktop.
No success with other ways or compatibility combinations, neither with the SBK01 XP Patch, which loads the game but triggers the .mix error.

Windows can be such a frustrating platform. If 2001 isn't going, there's no hope of 2000 working.

Well yes, you fell into the unlucky bucket; the black screen to desktop is really the heap issue. Unfortunately that's the best I have for now, and Feedback Hub doesn;t understand my words so I don't have any hopes either.

If SBK2K uses the same engine, it would have the same issue too; only if it doesn't need Win9X compat modes to work

Reply 35 of 35, by gweeneth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-04-18, 09:17:
gweeneth wrote on 2024-04-14, 22:15:

Well yes, you fell into the unlucky bucket; the black screen to desktop is really the heap issue. Unfortunately that's the best I have for now, and Feedback Hub doesn;t understand my words so I don't have any hopes either.

If SBK2K uses the same engine, it would have the same issue too; only if it doesn't need Win9X compat modes to work

One guy following up from my help for W10 posted that he was able to get it going on W11. Now, I don't have info if it's in a Virtual Machine or his actual native system being on W11. He wasn't sure but he believes he did the same steps but with the WinXP patch. I haven't been able to successfully replicate it yet but have attached the files he used in case someone else is able to get it going and provide exact steps to replicate it.

Filename
SBK01.7z
File size
3.12 MiB
Downloads
4 downloads
File comment
SBK01 XP patch
File license
Public domain