VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3040 of 3949, by PTRACER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Grand Prix 3 is causing issues in accelerated 3D. Without dgVoodoo there's many polygons that have the wrong z-index and very slow processor occupancy. With dgVoodoo (tested WIPs and old versions) the game runs fine, except cars have broken textures and gradually the sky fills with incorrect textures (using Spa as an example in the wet).

I don't have these issues, or at least I don't notice them.

My main problem with GP3 is that the framerate is very, very slow at the start of races (11-15fps or slower) when lots of 3D shapes are on the screen. If dgVoodoo can be optimised to use less CPU in GP3, then it would be damn near perfect. Can it be optimised or does it need a game-specific patch?

Reply 3041 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finished with testing
- about 50 DDraw scene demos
- about 66 D3D scene demos
- about 104 DX8 scene demos
- about 10 tech demos
- about 240 DX games
- about 78 DX8 games

and found that some things were broken compared to 2.53, but I fixed them.
Also, I released dgVoodoo 2.54.

I'm going to answer questions a bit later, I'm having really enough with dgVoodoo for now because intensive testing lasted for a few days. 😁

Reply 3043 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I finished with testing - about 50 DDraw scene demos - about 66 D3D scene demos - about 104 DX8 scene demos - about 10 tech demo […]
Show full quote

I finished with testing
- about 50 DDraw scene demos
- about 66 D3D scene demos
- about 104 DX8 scene demos
- about 10 tech demos
- about 240 DX games
- about 78 DX8 games

and found that some things were broken compared to 2.53, but I fixed them.
Also, I released dgVoodoo 2.54.

I'm going to answer questions a bit later, I'm having really enough with dgVoodoo for now because intensive testing lasted for a few days. 😁

Congrats ! Now, someone pleaaaaaase....give this man a .....beer. 😀

Reply 3048 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Evil Dead: Hail to the King" (DirectX 8 ) does not work via dgVoodoo v2.54. The game starts and shows dgVoodoo logo and plays the intro video. It crashes at the end of the intro video when it switches to the main menu. When I run the game natively on Windows 7, it crashes after the main menu. Gameplay video is below. Actor Bruce Campbell himself provided the voice acting for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsDhbn8DBs

Dege, it is much appreciated if you can get this game to work via dgVoodoo. Based on the reviews on various forums, most people are having difficulty getting the game to run.

Reply 3049 of 3949, by Dreadmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2.54 seems to have introduced heavy micro-stuttering in Machines (RTS by Charybdis Limited / Acclaim Entertainment, 1999).
So far I haven't found any dgVoodoo settings that affect the issue, apart from refresh rate - lower refresh rates result in more stuttering (I think the game uses V-sync by default, with no option to disable it).

Aside from reverting to 2.53, the only ways I've found to reduce the stuttering are:
• Forcefully disable V-sync via Nvidia drivers
• Enable Nvidia Fast Sync via Nvidia Inspector

Machines requires D3DRM.dll.

PTRACER wrote:

v2.54 introduces a major texture problem in Grand Prix 3 when Fast Memory Access is enabled.

I've noticed a similar issue in Shogo: Mobile Armor Division:

2.53 (Fast Memory Access on) / 2.54 (Fast Memory Access off)

2.54 (Fast Memory Access on)

In Shogo's case, I think only lightmaps are affected - creating a light near a broken patch reveals the underlying texture to be unaffected: screenshot
Thankfully the game doesn't seem to need Fast Memory Access for good performance.

Windows 10 64-bit | Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB | Samsung S23A700D, 1920x1080@120Hz | Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Reply 3050 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PTRACER wrote:
v2.54 introduces a major texture problem in Grand Prix 3 when Fast Memory Access is enabled. However, with it switched off, the […]
Show full quote

v2.54 introduces a major texture problem in Grand Prix 3 when Fast Memory Access is enabled. However, with it switched off, the game's performance degrades to a point where it is almost unplayable. Will stick with the older version for now.

v2.53
4kgrrb.jpg

v2.54
2gyaiz8.jpg

Thanks, I'll check it out.
The framerate problem is a known issue to be fixed somehow, later. 😖

CoolGamer wrote:

"Evil Dead: Hail to the King" (DirectX 8 ) does not work via dgVoodoo v2.54. The game starts and shows dgVoodoo logo and plays the intro video. It crashes at the end of the intro video when it switches to the main menu. When I run the game natively on Windows 7, it crashes after the main menu. Gameplay video is below. Actor Bruce Campbell himself provided the voice acting for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsDhbn8DBs

Dege, it is much appreciated if you can get this game to work via dgVoodoo. Based on the reviews on various forums, most people are having difficulty getting the game to run.

It works for me through dgVoodoo but it can't handle Alt-Tab.

Dreadmoth wrote:
2.54 seems to have introduced heavy micro-stuttering in Machines (RTS by Charybdis Limited / Acclaim Entertainment, 1999). So fa […]
Show full quote

2.54 seems to have introduced heavy micro-stuttering in Machines (RTS by Charybdis Limited / Acclaim Entertainment, 1999).
So far I haven't found any dgVoodoo settings that affect the issue, apart from refresh rate - lower refresh rates result in more stuttering (I think the game uses V-sync by default, with no option to disable it).

Aside from reverting to 2.53, the only ways I've found to reduce the stuttering are:
• Forcefully disable V-sync via Nvidia drivers
• Enable Nvidia Fast Sync via Nvidia Inspector

Machines requires D3DRM.dll.

PTRACER wrote:

v2.54 introduces a major texture problem in Grand Prix 3 when Fast Memory Access is enabled.

I've noticed a similar issue in Shogo: Mobile Armor Division:

2.53 (Fast Memory Access on) / 2.54 (Fast Memory Access off)

2.54 (Fast Memory Access on)

In Shogo's case, I think only lightmaps are affected - creating a light near a broken patch reveals the underlying texture to be unaffected: screenshot
Thankfully the game doesn't seem to need Fast Memory Access for good performance.

Hmm, indeed, but I experience stuttering in Duke Nukem Manhattan Project Demo in fullscreen.
I don't have a clue why is that, it'll be quite hard to trace down.

Reply 3051 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

Unreal with original D3D renderer has VSync NOT working using the related engine variable (setting either "true" or "false", there's no difference).
Rune (same engine, same renderer) has VSync working (with "False" as expected).

Up 😁

It's due to some kind of experimental workaround for the UE crash?

Reply 3052 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Unreal with original D3D renderer has VSync NOT working using the related engine variable (setting either "true" or "false", there's no difference).
Rune (same engine, same renderer) has VSync working (with "False" as expected).

Up 😁

It's due to some kind of experimental workaround for the UE crash?

No, it's not... 😀
Did it work with 2.53?

Reply 3054 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Grand Prix 3 problem is the one I noticed too. If you start a race at Spa (possibly others) in heavy rain, the sky texture will start to be replaced with other textures too (like people, trees, etc)!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3055 of 3949, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake II (with software rendering mode) has a serious mouse input problem with all axis, i think that is a bug of dgvoodoo2 2.54 (i don't have tested that game with older versions)

GTA1 (a ddraw game) has some slowdown with dgvoodoo2, and GTA2 (with 3dfx mode) has some micro-stuttering (very low)

Outlaws sometimes has some micro-pauses

with all 3dfx games i can't see 3dfx splash screen... (with that option enabled)

I can't use dgvoodoo2 with DosBOX 0.74, because it stop working...

Last edited by FulValBot on 2017-05-05, 11:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3057 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only found a version of Evil Dead Hail The King with videos ripped out, the other version didn't install due to a corrupted file. The one that works has no issues on my end.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3058 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote:

I only found a version of Evil Dead Hail The King with videos ripped out, the other version didn't install due to a corrupted file. The one that works has no issues on my end.

Shhhh! The hounds are coming! Don't mention "yarrrr" software 😉

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 3059 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My understanding is that he owns the original CD and it is scratched/corrupted. Or maybe the CDs are just dirty.

UCyborg, thanks for checking Evil Dead Hail to The King. I sadly couldn't get it to work natively or via dgVoodoo on my Windows 7 system. 😢 It plays the intro video fine but it hangs/gets stuck when it switches to the main menu. In task manager, it says "Not Responding". See if you can run it on your system with videos after you clean your CDs. Whenever I have a problem with my old CDs, I just clean them very well and they usually work.