VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3660 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolGamer wrote:

ZellSF, does Full Throttle run on your computer via dgVoodoo? On my windows 7 laptop, the game EXE starts and instantly closes when I try to run it via dgVoodoo.

The game works fine without any problems when I remove dgVoodoo dlls from game folder. That's why I reported it as a bug.

Yes, it crashes here too.

Reply 3662 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the reports, I'll check out the reported games when I'll have some time.

CoolGamer wrote:

Full Throttle Version 2.0 (aka Second Issue Windows Version, 2002 CD release) does not work via dgVoodoo. It works fine natively. I attached the log file.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/full-throttle

Is there a demo for this one? All I can find is the DOS version.

Reply 3664 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could not find a demo for the 2002 windows version of Full Throttle. I PMd you some websites that sell the used original genuine CD.

Edit: The reissued 2002 version of "Sam and Max Hit The Road" does not work via dgVoodoo either. The game runs fine natively. It is part of the collection shown on the webpage below.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/lucasarts-class … ertainment-pack

Reply 3665 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wetrix does not work fullscreen. Black screen, but sounds still play so game is running. Judging by fan sound it's taking 100% of one CPU core. It works with DXGL or natively with Windows 7 compatibility mode (which does not help dgVoodoo2). There's a demo available here: https://archive.org/details/Wetdemo

Reply 3667 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Wetrix does not work fullscreen. Black screen, but sounds still play so game is running. Judging by fan sound it's taking 100% of one CPU core. It works with DXGL or natively with Windows 7 compatibility mode (which does not help dgVoodoo2). There's a demo available here: https://archive.org/details/Wetdemo

GDI rendered game. It uses DDraw to just set the display mode. The same problem as with game movies.

Reply 3668 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alberthamik wrote:

I'm not sure when compatibility broke, but it's been impossible to use the DirectX and Glide wrappers together with Requiem: Avenging Angel 1.3. Currently it just crashes immediately, and whenever I do get it partially working using another directx wrapper for the 3DFX version, I get weird HUD issues where everything repeatedly disappears off screen, like being wiped off to put it literally. I tested out the old WIP10 version to make sure it wasn't just me, and in that instance I had the same situation as others when that test build came out, it worked until I was in-game and then lost all input.

I haven't been able to test out the latest builds of dgVoodoo 2 to see if it can rectify the main problem I've been having, which is being able to record the game and it's menus. OBS does not like capturing this game with it's constant switching (seen by OBS as different programs essentially). I can understand this being a secondary problem at best and one that might not be as easy to solve given how the game works. It would just be nice to not have to fight with different wrappers to get this one game to behave.

In 2.55.1 I made some changes to report the correct hw id's of Banshee and Voodoo3 ('Other greater') card types. According to the game code, it only recognizes Voodoo2 as a maximum. For other hw id's it just quits at startup. Aside from this change the game works the same way as previously with earlier dgVoodoo versions.

Reply 3669 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

GDI rendered game. It uses DDraw to just set the display mode. The same problem as with game movies.

Yeah I sort of suspected as much. Thought I'd mention it anyway.

Reply 3671 of 3949, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw this today:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2018/06/ … eview-2018.html

VMware Workstation Tech Preview DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Previ […]
Show full quote

VMware Workstation Tech Preview
DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Preview. DX10.1 introduces several subtle differences over 10.0

DirectX 10.1 delivers the following graphics improvements:

Full MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing) support
Shader Model 4.1 support
Cubemap array support
This enhancement allows users to run games that require DirectX 10.1, and improves performance for DX10.0 games and apps. Test it out and let us know how what you think about the graphics quality and performance.

This feature is for both Windows and Linux hosts

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3672 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Saw this today:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2018/06/ … eview-2018.html

VMware Workstation Tech Preview DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Previ […]
Show full quote

VMware Workstation Tech Preview
DirectX 10.1 – We are excited to introduce DirectX 10.1 support with Workstation 2018 Tech Preview. DX10.1 introduces several subtle differences over 10.0

DirectX 10.1 delivers the following graphics improvements:

Full MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing) support
Shader Model 4.1 support
Cubemap array support
This enhancement allows users to run games that require DirectX 10.1, and improves performance for DX10.0 games and apps. Test it out and let us know how what you think about the graphics quality and performance.

This feature is for both Windows and Linux hosts

Nice VMware, but can it run... 😜 ehem. So you thinking of dgvoodoo in VMware? but as far as i know, only VMware player is free.

Reply 3674 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

House of the Dead III works perfectly. Usually limited to 1280x1024 unless you feel like hex editing, needs a crack on Windows 7+. The game also works natively without dgVoodoo2.

hod3pc 2018-06-26 17-06-46-41.jpg
Filename
hod3pc 2018-06-26 17-06-46-41.jpg
File size
621.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3675 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also a feature request to consider, can you easily add a "stretched, don't keep aspect ratio" mode for dgVoodoo2 scaling? Being able to override driver scaling even if I want stretching would be nice. For example if due to some weirdness a game doesn't support 16:9, but "close enough" that stretching isn't too harmful to aspect ratio.

Of course it's pretty easy for me to just change driver settings whenever that happens and in many cases forcing resolution would work. So it's pretty much a "if it's only a few minutes of work" feature request.

Reply 3676 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also have a feature request : Add a internal wrapper resolution scaler, with and array of 2x 3x 4x, based on your monitor resolution and not only the game, with aspect ratio input
so abnormal resolution would be calculated, instead of firing up virtual dub to calculate and aspect ratio based on your vertical resolution.

I can give you an example, I was trying out Soul Raver, on my intel integrated GPU, but its run on VGA so max resolution is 1080p.
So what I did whas to select from the game a 16:10 resolution, 1280x800. "Gives better text and 2d resolution"
Then in CPL I entered 3456x2160 which is 2x the VGA resolution but in 16:10 , since the game support 16:10 normaly a.k.a 320x200 , 640x400 etc etc.
And finally Stretched , Keep aspect ratio, since that will shrink down the image again to a 1080p VGA image, but the image would be like NVIDIA's DSR.
I could hardly tell that my monitor was running below my native resolution since the image got so clean.

Also, how hard would it be to add a feature in dgvoodoo where you could pass to real directX but keep the wrapper scaler intact. So you only did resolution scaling.

Reply 3677 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batterymandark wrote:
I also have a feature request : Add a internal wrapper resolution scaler, with and array of 2x 3x 4x, based on your monitor reso […]
Show full quote

I also have a feature request : Add a internal wrapper resolution scaler, with and array of 2x 3x 4x, based on your monitor resolution and not only the game, with aspect ratio input
so abnormal resolution would be calculated, instead of firing up virtual dub to calculate and aspect ratio based on your vertical resolution.

I can give you an example, I was trying out Soul Raver, on my intel integrated GPU, but its run on VGA so max resolution is 1080p.
So what I did whas to select from the game a 16:10 resolution, 1280x800. "Gives better text and 2d resolution"
Then in CPL I entered 3456x2160 which is 2x the VGA resolution but in 16:10 , since the game support 16:10 normaly a.k.a 320x200 , 640x400 etc etc.
And finally Stretched , Keep aspect ratio, since that will shrink down the image again to a 1080p VGA image, but the image would be like NVIDIA's DSR.
I could hardly tell that my monitor was running below my native resolution since the image got so clean.

Since I had to read this post like 10 times to understand it, I thought I'd write down what I got out of it in case Dege finds it equally confusing:

1: You selected 1280x800 ingame.

2: You then entered 3456x2160 which is 2X the VGA resolution of 1728x1080.

3: Then you set dgVoodoo2 to output 1920x1080, and center the 1728x1080 image with black bars using dgVoodoo2's internal aspect ratio correction.

4: Then you say your monitor is running below its native resolution? It's running at 1920x1080 by this point isn't it?

5: You want a "2X/3X/4X Monitor resolution" option for the resolution box. Which doesn't sound like a bad idea, but potentially very confusing for less technical users who want to configure dgVoodoo2: usually you want to stick with game resolution integer scale factors or you get issues.

As a side note, you said the game in question supported 16:10 normally because of 320x200 and 640x400 support. 320x200 and 640x400 are 4:3 resolutions. If the game is properly written, they will not display properly if you stretch them to 16:10.

Reply 3678 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2: I did enter 3456x2160 because that's 16:10 in ~4K
3 : I didn't need to set it too 1920x1080 , the "Stretched , Keep aspect ratio" Does scale it back to proper size.
4: Yes I don't have any port on the monitor for the Intel GPU to run on, any higher than VGA 1080p. My monitor is 1440p

320x200 and 640x400 as I figured out is 16:10 , but 320x240 and 640x480 is 4:3

Reply 3679 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batterymandark wrote:

4: Yes I don't have any port on the monitor for the Intel GPU to run on, any higher than VGA 1080p. My monitor is 1440p

What sort of weird computer and/or monitor do you have? I haven't seen a 1440p monitor without a digital input and I haven't seen a DX10/11 capable GPU without a digital output (well except on server hardware). The reason I'm asking is what you're doing is obsessive levels of caring about image quality, combined with not outputting at native resolution. It doesn't make any sense.

batterymandark wrote:

320x200 and 640x400 as I figured out is 16:10 , but 320x240 and 640x480 is 4:3

320x200 and 640x400 aren't 16:10 resolutions. They're both 4:3 resolutions. Here have some reading material:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FelipePepe/20 … spect_ratio.php
If a game treats 320x200 and 640x400 as 16:10, it's doing something wrong. Not that it's terribly uncommon for 3D games to get this wrong, I'm just saying seeing 320x200 and 640x400 as "this game supports 16:10" is wrong.