VOGONS

First post, by RadonGOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,
just wanted to ask if somebody can manage to run DromeRacers with more then 60hz in a non-laggy way. It supports more then 60 FPS, (see pcgamingwiki for example) but it defaults into 60hz. Without ini-files or similar I didn´t see a way to fix this despite using dgVoodoo. And yes, you can force 120hz. But it runs ways worse then the non-dgVoodoo-Version/ the passthrough-version.
Would love to see some help. The game is available for a few cents in a DRM-free disc version and quite a nice power up racing game featureing LegoTechnic-Racers.

Reply 2 of 7, by RadonGOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

I wouldn't take one person mentioning it on PC Gaming Wiki as definite proof that the game supports 120hz.

It doesn´t, the PCGamingWiki-Entry was and is about 120+FPS-Support only and yes, the game supports 120+FPS. One might question the benefit of that category in general...
The important part: So far, I wasn´t able to find a way to force more then 60hz...

Reply 4 of 7, by RadonGOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Why do you think the game supports 120+ FPS?

Again, one person on PC Gaming Wiki is not a good indicator.

Because I´ve tested it myself and the result is positive. (VSYNC off in game, FastSync on in driver and the game reaches typical FPS above 500)
Sorry to not have stated this in a clear way.

One additional observation: If I put the monitor in 30hz-mode, Drome Racers still manages to start in 60hz.
And another additional observation: If I add a custom res without a 60hz-variant and select that one ingame, the game seems to crash, but after some time manages to switch to that res---but in 60hz once again.

Reply 5 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RadonGOG wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Because I´ve tested it myself and the result is positive. (VSYNC off in game, FastSync on in driver and the game reaches typical FPS above 500)

But did you verify those 500 frames were actually unique? A game can update its screen 500 times per second and not actually update anything relevant (like the camera) more than 60 times per second, which I believe is the case with Drome Racers.

Reply 6 of 7, by RadonGOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
RadonGOG wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

But did you verify those 500 frames were actually unique? A game can update its screen 500 times per second and not actually update anything relevant (like the camera) more than 60 times per second, which I believe is the case with Drome Racers.

Can you name a tool with which I could do this?

Reply 7 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I would just run the game at 120hz, find video capture software than can do 120 FPS (OBS for example), play it in a video player that can do frame-by-frame playback (VLC) and see how many of the frames are unique.

It's not a perfect solution but enough to show that Drome Racers while it outputs 120 FPS, doesn't actually refresh its graphics 120 times per second. Now that could be either a timing compatibility issue or just how the game was made. I think it's the latter.