VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1840 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

Debug output shows this line a lot:
"DXX32: Warn: Registry value too long: MainVideo_SET in SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CLASS\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\UMD"

I found a few Google results concerning that message. One person reported getting that error on a HD 6450. You own a 6450, right Dege?

Reply 1841 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
daniel_u wrote:
10.0 to me sound like a bad ideea. What's the point of having a game that runs DX 10 level but performance is bad. Imho i think […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
Just a very quick reply for now: yes, I also tried Pandora through 10.0 with MSAA, that's the problem indeed. But, shadows/light […]
Show full quote

Just a very quick reply for now: yes, I also tried Pandora through 10.0 with MSAA, that's the problem indeed.
But, shadows/lighting are missing because of a 10.0 limitation 🙁 : an MSAA z-buffer neither can be resolved (to a non-MSAA one) nor can be a shader resource (like a texture). In the end, Pandora needs this (resolving) because it first renders the scene into a z-buffer from the viewpoint(s) of light(s) and then uses that z-buffer as a texture for sampling.

As I can see, 10.0 provides no more flexibility on z-buffer operations as a plain 9.3 class hw.

It all (the MSAA case) could be workarounded, if I guess right, but at the expense of performance and video memory consumption.

10.0 to me sound like a bad ideea. What's the point of having a game that runs DX 10 level but performance is bad. Imho i think a good way moving forward is DX12.
Also one questions .Isnt it better to have fully working games then after all is good move to extend compatibility? It's your effort and time(and i really appreciate it) but to me it seems like this feature it's not very useful. Lots of workarounds needed,

My ideea is: 'let's have the best race car and then after you win it all move to another league or something.' Just some thought here. 😁

It's only related to MSAA.....Dege could simply lock the option for 10.0 output (as done concerning the Phong).

Reply 1842 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daniel_u wrote:

10.0 to me sound like a bad ideea.

Question of viewpoint. 10.0 is not a/the new direction in dgVoodoo but just an extra, with some trade-offs and limitations, for the possibility of playing games through dgVoodoo on late-dx10.0 hardwares. I didn't ditch any existing feature for the favor of 10.0.

daniel_u wrote:

What's the point of having a game that runs DX 10 level but performance is bad.

Well, not much. And, it'd even increase the wrapper code complexity. That's why I don't want to fill the z-buffer support gaps in 10.0.
It'd make sense only if many of people were asking for it because they'd want to play, for instance, Pandora Tomorrow on a 10.0 class rig with forced MSAA, by all means. 😀

daniel_u wrote:

Imho i think a good way moving forward is DX12.

It'd be, in the aspect of 2 points: a good learning curve for me in DX12 😁, and the fact that the wrapper could run on the most modern API, making it independent on any harm that support of DX11 suffers later, as old DX did.

daniel_u wrote:

Also one questions .Isnt it better to have fully working games then after all is good move to extend compatibility? It's your effort and time(and i really appreciate it) but to me it seems like this feature it's not very useful. Lots of workarounds needed,

Yes, I'd like to focus on other things.

lowenz wrote:

It's only related to MSAA.....Dege could simply lock the option for 10.0 output (as done concerning the Phong).

But killing the MSAA support entirely would be a pity. It works pretty fine for an average game that doesn't require any advanced z-buffer magic.

teleguy wrote:

I found a few Google results concerning that message. One person reported getting that error on a HD 6450. You own a 6450, right Dege?

Yes, I have. But that warning message doesn't seem to be too serious (altough I don't know what it's about exactly).
What about Glide? Doesn't it work for you too? I tested

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1084

(Glide3) through 10.0 and it worked. Glide uses different precompiled shaders than DX.

VCT_DENnis1 wrote:
Hello Dege, […]
Show full quote

Hello Dege,

I'm very thankful that you're helping so much!

Maybe you got an idea how to fix this‽: I love Motocross Madness 2 and I was trying to get it run on my gaming PC for years. With dgVoodoo2 it works offline finally, even in best graphics (I just have to turn off "particle system" in the Motocross Madness 2 settings), but when I try to get in an online room / window (for Multiplayer) the game (MCM2.EXE) keeps crashing.

Windows System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 Bit. i7-3930K CPU @3.2GHz, 32 GB RAM, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 with 4GB VRAM

Uhmm, it's hard to figure it out.
First, it'd be fine to see if it crashes with native DX too, to see if the crash is related to dgVoodoo or not, but I guess this game won't launch natively.
Maybe if you try it in forced windowed mode... 'Cause crashes in user32.dll and nt.dll can easily be caused by some windowing/window messaging issue. Avoiding resolution switches decreases the likelihood of it.
Or, you could also try forcing single core affinity.

Reply 1843 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Yes, I have. But that warning message doesn't seem to be too serious (altough I don't know what it's about exactly). What about […]
Show full quote
teleguy wrote:

Yes, I have. But that warning message doesn't seem to be too serious (altough I don't know what it's about exactly).
What about Glide? Doesn't it work for you too? I tested

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1084

(Glide3) through 10.0 and it worked. Glide uses different precompiled shaders than DX.

That gives me an error message.

error.jpg
Filename
error.jpg
File size
12.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Debugview still shows "DXX32: Warn: Registry value too long: MainVideo_SET in SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CLASS\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\UMD".

Reply 1846 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Choum wrote:
Does DGVoodoo 2 can work when you have to set the game EXE to Windows 98 compatibility mode. […]
Show full quote

Does DGVoodoo 2 can work when you have to set the game EXE to Windows 98 compatibility mode.

I have some problem with starlancer.
If I do not use any compatibility mode, graphics of the game are working great (but the game will crash in a very specific condition when you want to leave your medal case)

If I set the game to Win98 compatibility mode, the crash dissapear, but the wrapper seems to malfunction, I have some artefact concerning the space background like the game was using 256 colors.

Without compatiblity set
http://hpics.li/3dd5ecb

With compatibility set to win98 or 95
http://hpics.li/35cbaab

Anything I can do to fix that ?

Can you try this patch?

Extract it somewhere and run install.bat with admin rights.

Using Win 98 mode should no longer be necessary.

Attachments

• Filename
    StarlancerFix.zip
    File size
    855 Bytes
    Downloads
    89 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1848 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Star Wars Jedi Knight - Dark Forces 2 seems to have a performance slowdown. I get 40 fps when i play at 4k(DSR). No AA or anything. I dont think this is right for such an old game.
Also when i press escape it crahses and my desktop resilution is set at 640x480

Reply 1850 of 3949, by exact

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
exact wrote:

Shogo Mobile Armor Division seems flawless with it.

God i was about to post the same thing here.
This game at 4k looks nice

+ https://www.gog.com/support/shogo_mobile_armo … ed_fonts_ingame + Windows 95 compatibility mode for music + XP compatibility mode against crashing for the last two levels.

flickr

Reply 1851 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

Also when i press escape it crahses and my desktop resilution is set at 640x480

Such crashes usually happen when "Backbuffer" is enabled.

It still crashes. The only difference(not able to play at 4k anymore--message about not enough memory) is that the resolution is normal after crash.
I deleted all related to wrapper and without it doesnt crash. DgVoodoo problem i guess.😀

Also i'm seeing some issues related to the overlay MSI afterburner while playing GTA 3. Sometimes it shows that D3D 11 is active sometiime D3d8. And it switches back and forth constantly
Not sure if this is a wrapper issue or Afterburner.

Reply 1852 of 3949, by VCT_DENnis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Uhmm, it's hard to figure it out. First, it'd be fine to see if it crashes with native DX too, to see if the crash is related to […]
Show full quote

Uhmm, it's hard to figure it out.
First, it'd be fine to see if it crashes with native DX too, to see if the crash is related to dgVoodoo or not, but I guess this game won't launch natively.
Maybe if you try it in forced windowed mode... 'Cause crashes in user32.dll and nt.dll can easily be caused by some windowing/window messaging issue. Avoiding resolution switches decreases the likelihood of it.
Or, you could also try forcing single core affinity.

I can't play with my original GPU, so without ur simulated GPU the game starts automatically in "software rasterization"-mode, but there I got the bug that I can't set any resolution: http://www11.pic-upload.de/03.10.14/ax6ebahhqam8.jpg. When I go to regedit and activate the "select hardware"-option again and I select my GPU the game doesn't even load into the first room.

When I select load with standard DX it doesn't work. With different window settings it didn't work online, too 🙁

With dgVoodoo2_51 the errorlog of mcm2 starts like this:
MCM2 caused a Stack Overflow in module USER32.dll at 0023:762e6987.
Exception handler called in main thread.
Error occurred at 4/18/2016 20:43:18.
C:\McM2\MCM2.EXE, run by "me".
12 processor(s), type 586.
0 MBytes physical memory.

With dgVoodooWIP20_1 the errorlog of mcm2 starts like this:
MCM2 caused a Stack Overflow in module ntdll.dll at 0023:77c7df76.
Exception handler called in main thread.
Error occurred at 4/18/2016 20:34:42.
C:\McM2\MCM2.EXE, run by "me".
12 processor(s), type 586.
0 MBytes physical memory.

Reply 1853 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:

That gives me an error message.

error.jpg

Debugview still shows "DXX32: Warn: Registry value too long: MainVideo_SET in SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CLASS\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\UMD".

Could you attach the dgVoodoo.conf you're using, plz?
It strongly seems to be NOT videocard/driver related. I was managed to reproduce this error message with Virhe, once.
Since then, I've been playing with it but without 'success'.
I guess the bug is in the configurator app. It may show you valid values in 'Adapter(s)...' and 'Full Screen Output' dropdown lists, but the config file
probably contains invalid values that's why dgVoodoo cannot init D3D11 at all. I'd like to figure it out how such a case can be drawn up.
(I'm able to reproduce the 'Unavailable' bug Lowenz reported.)

Reply 1855 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

I guess the bug is in the configurator app. It may show you valid values in 'Adapter(s)...' and 'Full Screen Output' dropdown lists, but the config file
probably contains invalid values that's why dgVoodoo cannot init D3D11 at all. I'd like to figure it out how such a case can be drawn up.
(I'm able to reproduce the 'Unavailable' bug Lowenz reported.)

Thanks !

Reply 1856 of 3949, by Choum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Can you try this patch? […]
Show full quote
Choum wrote:
Does DGVoodoo 2 can work when you have to set the game EXE to Windows 98 compatibility mode. […]
Show full quote

Does DGVoodoo 2 can work when you have to set the game EXE to Windows 98 compatibility mode.

I have some problem with starlancer.
If I do not use any compatibility mode, graphics of the game are working great (but the game will crash in a very specific condition when you want to leave your medal case)

If I set the game to Win98 compatibility mode, the crash dissapear, but the wrapper seems to malfunction, I have some artefact concerning the space background like the game was using 256 colors.

Without compatiblity set
http://hpics.li/3dd5ecb

With compatibility set to win98 or 95
http://hpics.li/35cbaab

Anything I can do to fix that ?

Can you try this patch?

Extract it somewhere and run install.bat with admin rights.

Using Win 98 mode should no longer be necessary.

It's perfect, no crash, and no graphic glitch, How do you do this application control database file ?

Reply 1859 of 3949, by Jaro89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, this is my first message, so i wanted to thank you, Dege, for your amazing work.

I tested few dx8 games and everything was perfect, but i have problems with pre dx8 titles. When I'm trying to run old FPS Deadly Dozen with dgvoodoo2, nothing happens, just nothing, even error. Without dgvoodoo2 game starts just fine, but performance is low and I can't use any capture software without issues. Game was released in late 2001 and uses ddraw for menu (always displayed at 640x480) and d3d7 for game itself.

Demo: http://www.fileplanet.com/81345/80000/fileinf … adly-Dozen-Demo

Second game is Half Life, I wanted to record gameplay, but that's dx6 game and capture programs are not working.
When I try dgvoodoo2, game informs that my gpu don't have d3d support. It's starting fine to menu with dgvoodoo2 in software mode, but game is crashing during level loading.

My rig: core i7 6700hq, 16gb ddr4 ram, gtx970m, win 10 x64.

That's only for your information, Dege.

Btw. sorry for bad english:)