VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 560 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

Thanks Guys for the new reports!

Unfortunately I couldn't deal with dgVoodoo at all for a while because of other works and deadlines but I'm about to do that.
First I'll have to develop a 'quick video memory access' method (similar to 'Force emulating true PCI' in Glide) because both Desperados and Grand Prix3 have performance problems (but they work at least).

Did you try Desperados with vsync forced off? Game really hates vsync.

Reply 561 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try Desperados with vsync forced off? Game really hates vsync.

Not that is the problem. Desperados uses huge surface(s) with width of 5000 or so pixels (that's why previous version didn't work) and locks it several times while rendering a single frame.
Grand Prix3 dynamically modifies the textures for the rendering of each cars during a single frame so they must continuously be reloaded. Also, GP3 does a lot of blitting within one surface but that's been optimized.

Compatibility modes virtualize the registry: if you're running software in compatibility mode also run the configuration program in the same compatibility mode.

Not just the registry but certain folder path for users, user local data, etc. (but dgVodoo does not use registry)

Reply 562 of 3949, by hoover1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to get DgVoodoo to work with aliens vs predator 2? the graphics are so corrupted the game is unplayable. and when I try it on Forsaken the corruption is so bad I can't even see the menu. Both these games insta-crash if I attempt to run them without DgVoodoo.

Reply 565 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
I wanted to play some Blood2 before going to bed but it always crashed upon entering a game. When I debugged it for a while rese […]
Show full quote

I wanted to play some Blood2 before going to bed but it always crashed upon entering a game.
When I debugged it for a while resentfully I realized that I tried to play it in 1280x1024.
Seeing the problematic code I thought I would give a try to a quick patching. 😀
It seems it works, now I have it running in 1280x1024.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/Blood2ResPatch.zip

Unfortunately I cant try it with higher resolutions now but it should work with them.

Mech 3 1.2 (not the expansion Pirate's Moon!) has a similar problem: pressing "ESC" in game causes a CTD if - in the windows registry - the higher resolutions (1280x1024) are forced.

Reply 567 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a way to get DgVoodoo to work with aliens vs predator 2? the graphics are so corrupted the game is unplayable. and when I try it on Forsaken the corruption is so bad I can't even see the menu. Both these games insta-crash if I attempt to run them without DgVoodoo.

I installed resident evil 1/2/3 on my pc and selected use 3dfx card and then use dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11 but don't work on 3dfx mode

I never tested those games myself but I hope they can be get to work with dgVoodoo2 after some/needed bugfixing. I put them onto the todo list.

Mech 3 1.2 (not the expansion Pirate's Moon!) has a similar problem: pressing "ESC" in game causes a CTD if - in the windows registry - the higher resolutions (1280x1024) are forced.

Does the same happen with native DX?

Reply 569 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:
swaaye wrote:

AVP2 should work ok on modern hardware. What are your system specs?

It's a DX7 game, not DX8.

That doesn't matter. DirectX 7 games usually work ok on modern machines. I've played AVP2 natively on several DX11 cards.

Reply 570 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Yes, it's a 16 years old problem 😁

Like Blood2... 😀
Maybe it could be patched but I don't know.
I had luck with Blood2 because its problem was univoque, the code around the crash showed the app logic, but don't know what the thing is with Mech.

Reply 571 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
lowenz wrote:
swaaye wrote:

AVP2 should work ok on modern hardware. What are your system specs?

It's a DX7 game, not DX8.

That doesn't matter. DirectX 7 games usually work ok on modern machines. I've played AVP2 natively on several DX11 cards.

Not on Win8/Win8.1 machines.

Reply 572 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:

I beg to differ. 😎

avp2.jpg
Filename
avp2.jpg
File size
280.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(I set it up for windowed mode for this shot, but it works fine fullscreen too. And it runs very smoothly.)

Reply 574 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
I beg to differ. :cool: […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

I beg to differ. 😎

avp2.jpg

(I set it up for windowed mode for this shot, but it works fine fullscreen too. And it runs very smoothly.)

"Very smoothly" in fullscreen mode.....I'll check later. Maybe it's because you have a solid system (i5-3570K, overclocked?)

Reply 577 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried AVP2 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro and my desktop i5 2500K+ Radeon 6950 too. Both Win8.1. On the tablet it's not playable, only managing 5-10fps regardless of resolution or details. On the 2500K+6950 it does 23-30fps at 640x480 and 1800x1440. 🤣. Strange behavior for sure, some kind of vsync or rendering bottleneck. Lithtech 1/2 has always been a pain to get to 60 fps though.

I tried D3DOverrider and also disabling vsync in Radeon control panel to no effect.

Reply 578 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I tried AVP2 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro and my desktop i5 2500K+ Radeon 6950 too. Both Win8.1. On the tablet it's not playable, only managing 5-10fps regardless of resolution or details. On the 2500K+6950 it does 23-30fps at 640x480 and 1800x1440. 🤣. Strange behavior for sure, some kind of vsync or rendering bottleneck. Lithtech 1/2 has always been a pain to get to 60 fps though.

I tried D3DOverrider and also disabling vsync in Radeon control panel to no effect.

did you use the DXPrimaryEmulation ACT flag with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter? Because on that setup you really should not be getting near that low framerates.

Reply 579 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

did you use the DXPrimaryEmulation ACT flag with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter? Because on that setup you really should not be getting near that low framerates.

No I wasn't using that. I haven't been following this Windows 8 vs DirectX 7 issue much. I didn't know it was an issue until now! But now that you mentioned it, I looked into it. I found a replacement ddraw.dll that does the same thing. 60 fps with vsync is the result.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630