VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 640 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! I tested Dino Crisis with dgvoodoo 2.43, the game starts but fps are stuck at 10 fps

Hmm... how could you run it? I had to change sg in the wrapper to get it to start.
Aside from that now it runs at constant 31fps.

Edit: Does this game work natively on Win8? Just to compare FPS's.

With Gabriel Knight 3 I have this error

It's an untested game, will check it, thanks!

Dege, interesting stuff for you and all of us 😁
If you want to help the developer (Crosire) or integrate into dgVoodoo....

http://reshade.me/forum/releases/419-d3d8to9

I was aware of Reshade's D3D8 to 9 wrapper.

Frankly (not that my opinion counts), I'd rather Dege fix the non-working games first (I'd even pay cash money) and not worry about any of the fancy stuff, unless he's bored.. fancy stuff=60+ fps, shaders, etc.....

Yes, the primary goal is to get it working with as many apps/games as possible and make it as compatible with MS DDraw/D3D as possible.

If you want to help the developer (Crosire) or integrate into dgVoodoo....

Not for shaders, for D3D8 support 😁
So dgVoodoo can cover all Pre-DX9 era API with a single wrapper.

Once I was pondering on that (todo/not to do). After all DX8 (AFAIR) is a simplified DX7 with additional 1.x shader support and so parts of the emulation code are already available. 😀
So when dgVoodoo will be good enough for old DX then maybe...

I tryed DGVOODOO2 with ColinMcRae.. with dgvoodoo2 the Menu works, but i am only able to play at 320x200 with Low Quality Textures.

Without dgvoodoo i can play at 800x600 with High Quality Textures

Is this Problem known ?

No, it's not. Indeed, if I get to the Graphics/Advanced menu then Colin McRae gets stuck into 320x240 and can no other resolution be selected.
However if I configure it through native DX to 800x600, high res textures, etc, then the game runs with those settings next time with dgVoodoo, if the Graphics/Advanced menu is skipped. Probably that's why I overlooked this so far. Thanks!

Last edited by Dege on 2015-04-04, 19:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 641 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Dege, obviously it's not a priority! I only can tell you that some D3D8 games too are badly in need of help, on Windows > 8, cause the old 3DAnalyse can't work on nowdays platforms and some odd pixel shader 1.1/1.4 code can't run correctly. Example: "Versus" multiplayer component of good old (it's already old?!?!?!) Chaos Theory/Pandora Tomorrow (it's the same).

Reply 642 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Thanks Dege, obviously it's not a priority! I only can tell you that some D3D8 games too are badly in need of help, on Windows > 8, cause the old 3DAnalyse can't work on nowdays platforms and some odd pixel shader 1.1/1.4 code can't run correctly. Example: "Versus" multiplayer component of good old (it's already old?!?!?!) Chaos Theory/Pandora Tomorrow (it's the same).

Even shader codes are starting to stop working on modern hw?
Then DX8/DX9 are aging faster than I thought.
But, as I read elsewhere, DX8 is allegedly broken at the same level as DX7 and below, on Win10.
At this rate we need a 'DX9 to anything' wrapper too. 😀

Reply 643 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Even shader codes are starting to stop working on modern hw?

Yes 🙁

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthr … d.php?t=1911695

Reply 644 of 3949, by autofire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to use this for LEGO Island, and the game keeps crashing whenever I attempt to exit the Information Center. I've got a GTX 970, and I want to use Direct3D HAL in LEGO Island since transparency effects look like garbage in any of the game's software rendering modes.

Reply 646 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
autofire wrote:

I've been trying to use this for LEGO Island, and the game keeps crashing whenever I attempt to exit the Information Center. I've got a GTX 970, and I want to use Direct3D HAL in LEGO Island since transparency effects look like garbage in any of the game's software rendering modes.

Are you using it with the latest D3DRM.dll?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1ti44qo4i7 … dll+%281%29.zip

And, is it the original version of the game you're using or GOG or sg?

Reply 647 of 3949, by autofire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing the original version of the game, and using the latest d3drm.dll changed one thing—mouse clicks are being registered as though every clickable object was slightly above where they appeared to be. The game still crashes to desktop when attempting to leave the Information Center.

Reply 648 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use the orig version too, so...

Could you test it with native DX?
It probably won't work properly, it may not even render 3D objects but exiting the info center should be testable, just to see if it crashes.

Or, do you have a Visual Studio installed to see where it crashes?

Reply 649 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if I mentioned this when I talked about the two problems with TA Kingdoms (fails to find D3D render, fails to enumerate resolutions with software render), but it has a demo:

http://www.fileplanet.com/30324/30000/fileinf … :-Kingdoms-Demo

Not the most important game, but it has two (assuming) separate bugs, so might be worth looking at.

Reply 651 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Not sure if I mentioned this when I talked about the two problems with TA Kingdoms (fails to find D3D render, fails to enumerate resolutions with software render), but it has a demo:

http://www.fileplanet.com/30324/30000/fileinf … :-Kingdoms-Demo

Not the most important game, but it has two (assuming) separate bugs, so might be worth looking at.

This game uses OLE for creating DDraw object so it's currently incompatible with dgVoodoo. 😖

Dege, I solved the crash by reinstalling LEGO Island. Unfortunately dgVoodoo is still imperfect with this game—graphical bugs show up when riding vehicles of any kind, and the inability to click on things properly persists.

Click issue can be resolved by launching the game in forced windowed mode then switch to full screen by Alt-Enter manually.

Could you post a screenshot about the graphical bugs?

Reply 652 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I tried a lot of games with every setting.

My spec are i5-4570 3,20 GHz, 8 gb ram, Nvidia 550 Ti driver version "347.52", Windows 8.1 x64

Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine
Without official patch, bug 16bit color and stuck at 30 fps. Applied unofficial patch with dgvoodoo, 60 fps in game . Vsync activated for excessive tearing.

Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire
Without patch worked few times. Applied unofficial patch with dgvoodoo, now the game runs at 60 fps. Vsync activated for excessive tearing.

Star Wars The Phantom Menace
Without dgvoodo, the game freeze my pc, with dgvoodo, perfect at 30 fps.

Requiem Avenging Angel
Without patch crash. With the patch 1.3, and WinXpSp3 compatibility and dgvoodoo, the game starts, menu runs at 60 fps but the game is stuck at 30 fps.

Martian Gothic Unification
With dgvoodoo black screen, without dgvoodoo no problem but at 16 fps. (16 bit color problem)

Overboard!
Without dgvoodoo, black screen in game, menu with invisible text, with dgvoodoo all perfect at 60 fps.

Pax Corpus
Without official patch the game crash. With official patch and without dgvoodoo the the crash, with official patch and dgvoodoo, ok at 60 fps.

Urban chaos
With or without dgvoodoo is the same thing, menu 32 fps, game stuck 21 fps. (16/24 bit color)

Uprising 1
Without patch crash, with patch crash, dgvoodoo with patch and glide2xl, ok at 60 fps without problem.

Virus 2000
Without dgvoodoo crash, with runs at 60 fps.

Braveheart
With or without dgvoodoo crash in software mode, direct3d, glide, opengl.

Biocombat
Without patch crash, with unofficial patch crash, with dgvoodoo and compatibility mode win98, the game run but at the first movie the game crash. I removed the movies, the game starts but when I have to select the language, nothing happen, input problem?

Star Trek Hidden Evil
Without dgvoodoo, it's like a game with lsd, when I start the game, the game ask me to chose software,glide/opengl,direct 3d, well, they are unselectable. With nglide the game starts at 60 fps without no problem. Quicktime 4.0 is ESSENTIAL.

Xenocrazy
Without official patch, crash or black screen, with dgvoodoo the game starts but the mouse is uncontrollable. Dpi problem?

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear
Official patch installed with dgvoodoo, crash crash and crash, set compatibility 16 bit color. Main menu at 38 to 2 fps, 21 fps in game with flickering textures. Selected "no mip mapping" for distorted texts. Not Playable

Rainbow Six Black Thorn
Without dgvoodoo crash, with dgvoodoo main menu at 38 to 2 fps, in game 60 fps. Playable

Evolva
With official patch, menu 20 fps, 29 fps in game, with official patch and dgvoodoo, menu 39 fps, 60 fps in game. Playable

Virtua Fighter 2
With or without dgvoodoo, crash. Not Playable

Heavy Gear 1
Tree things. Crash, crash...oh another crash! With or without dgvoodoo. Not Playable

Machines
Without dgvoodoo, missing text, lsd colors, menu 30 fps, in game 16 fps and pink rectangle EVERYWERE! With dgvoodoo all perfect at 60 fps. Playable

Nocturne, Blair Witch Project 1,2,3 (they share the same engine)
With dgvoodoo in direct3d mode works, 60 fps in game. In direct3d mode 3d objects are white. Software mode is perfect and is not too different from direct3d. Playable

Riverworld No patch available
Without dgvoodoo 3d, graphics in game is a totally messy, with dgvoodoo all perfect, runs at 60 fps. Ironically this game in unplayable, it's to fast! Playable more or less

Deadly Dozen and Pacific Theatre
Without dgvoodoo and winxpsp3 compatibility mode runs, with dgvoodoo the game doesn't work. Not Playable with dgvoodoo

Planet Of Apes
Without dgvoodoo crash, with dgvoodoo, menu 30 fps, 55/60 fps in game. Playable

Populous 3 The Beginning
Without dgvoodoo crash. With unofficial patch 1.04 and dgvoodoo 2.43 crash. With dgvoodoo 2.42 and unofficial patch 1.04 perfect! But the resolution cannot be changed. Only 800x600

Resident Evil 2 (italian version) and Sourcenext (patched)
Sourcenext with or without dgvoodoo is the same thing, 30 fps menu 21 fps game. With dgvoodoo. The italian version of res2 is unpatchable.

Resident Evil 3 and Sourcenext
With or without dgvoodoo is the same thing, 60 fps menu 30 fps game.

Dino Crisis 2
With or without dgvoodoo, menu 30/60 fps, in game 30 fps. Playable

Resident Evil Gun Survivor No patch available
With dgvoodoo movies at 4000(!) fps, in game 21 fps.

Dino Crisis (Again!)
This is unbelievable! I tried dgvoodoo 2.42 only for another test and nothing was changed, for no reason I opened power archiver and restarted the game. The game was running at 30 fps! I closed power archiver and the fps dropped at 12 fps, I reopened power archiver and the games was at 30 fps again!

Sorry for my English, I tried to do my best 😒

Attachments

• EKgpA2f.jpg
    Filename
    EKgpA2f.jpg
    File size
    490.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 4pYHiN8.jpg
    Filename
    4pYHiN8.jpg
    File size
    356.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 653 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rally Masters just crashes. By default the game won't work (crashes loading a car) if "Use PAL8 textures" is enabled in the settings menu, but if you disable that you lose all alpha effects (smoke/lights, etc), so if dgVoodoo could help that, it'd be ideal!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 654 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Urban chaos
With or without dgvoodoo is the same thing, menu 32 fps, game stuck 21 fps. (16/24 bit color)

For reference: this is correct behavior. The game runs at 21 FPS and game speed is locked to framerate. You can run it at higher framerates by editing a ini file but game speed will be equally increased. 60 FPS is running the game at almost three times its original speed and is really not recommended.

Populous 3 The Beginning
Without dgvoodoo crash. With unofficial patch 1.04 and dgvoodoo 2.43 crash. With dgvoodoo 2.42 and unofficial patch 1.04 perfect! But the resolution cannot be changed. Only 800x600

I'll test 2.43 later, but again just for reference: 800x600 is the maximum resolution Populous The Beginning supports. One of the patches added the option for more resolutions, but requires /allres as a parameter. The higher resolution you select, the more graphic glitches you get (as again, the game is designed for max 800x600).

Populous The Beginning does not remember resolutions between restarts in hardware rendering mode, this is how the original game behaved too. You can use popres to patch the exectutable to the resolution you want. That said, popres doesn't actually work in newer operating systems so you need acess to an older computer if you want to go that route.

With dgVoodoo 2.42 I'm playing Populous The Beginning just fine at 1100x620.

Reply 656 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another very random one; Victory Road (a Daytona USA freeware clone) has rogue textures appearing on the car select screen, then the flat textures for the car appear during racing as a HUD element! Game plays fine though.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 657 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok guys, thanks for the high amount of feedback and information! 😀
Arklay, thanks again for the detailed list! 😎

I really appreciate that and it's a good food to work with.

Dino Crisis: is it some kind of Win8 thing? I don't have a clue what Power Archiver (or other applications) has to do with it. Maybe a timer/timing thing?

DC runs at contant 31fps here on Win7 for me, but when I run it with the debug build of dgVoodoo (which logs a lot of things so isn't about high speed),
then it appears that static scenes of DC (when the camera isn't following the player's character) runs at lower fps than dynamic (moving camera) scenes.
I don't know why it is since I can't see any difference in the rendering logic between the two.

Reply 658 of 3949, by pjblew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Dino Crisis: is it some kind of Win8 thing? I don't have a clue what Power Archiver (or other applications) has to do with it. Maybe a timer/timing thing?

Could this be related to timer coalescing and the "tickless" kernel introduced in Windows 8? - see Windows Timer Resolution: Megawatts Wasted for an explanation and some interesting discussion. If Power Archiver (or other applications) mess with the system timer, couldn't this have an impact? Perhaps TimerTool can shed some light?

Hope this helps.

Reply 659 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pjblew wrote:
Dege wrote:

Could this be related to timer coalescing and the "tickless" kernel introduced in Windows 8? - see Windows Timer Resolution: Megawatts Wasted for an explanation and some interesting discussion. If Power Archiver (or other applications) mess with the system timer, couldn't this have an impact? Perhaps TimerTool can shed some light?

Hope this helps.

Wow!!
I exactly thought of some kind of that thing! Thanks for that!

Rally Masters just crashes.

Meanwhile I managed to quickly fix the bug causing it. Now it runs beautifully.