VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1060 of 3949, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege, is there any chance that you implement DX8 wrapping to dgVoodoo 2? This might come in handy to some people. There is a nasty bug in Windows 10 installed on laptops with Nvidia Optimus technology that makes the games run on integrated graphics instead on GeForce: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3733

Reply 1061 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vis wrote:
Greetins to all! Ty for your work, dege and tnx to all people who helped you! : ) I am posting on vogons first time and wish to […]
Show full quote

Greetins to all!
Ty for your work, dege and tnx to all people who helped you! : )
I am posting on vogons first time and wish to directly, here, report one problem that I discovered during testing dgvoodoo 2.45 ver(older ver did give same result) with Turok 2 Seeds of Evil game. It is about mouse bug that is present in single player and multi player, when direct x emulation is in use, try dgvoodoo direct x wrapper. Please look video here, dege, cos my eng. is not good enuf: https://youtu.be/BQ_LavLt03g
Now to say, normal dx 6.1 works without any problem and I already playing T2 MP more then 3 year, so if there was same/similar problem, caused with anything else, I would know. I did test old-new versions of dx wrapper in Diablo 2 LoD and worked perfect, incomparable better then native dx in that game, if we look by fps and stuttering, there was not any mouse bug. I did find 3 bigger bugs, before. One, messed colors when is older then 3xx.xx nvidia driver used (460 gtx) second, in some older ver of wrapper, steam overlay would stay bugged, if game with opened steam overlay menu, was minimized and 3th: games would crash often during minimizing/maximizing process. All 3 bug are now gone, tnx to driver update and fix's that are in latest dgvoodoo warper. What is more positive about dx 1- 7 emulation: when it's used in games, steam overlay working vs original dx mode , when it can't, then Nvidia DSR becomes available and final, most important: it is potential, best solution for any quality, retro gaming on Microsoft OS, newer then win 7 (which I use : ) cause notorious broken support for older dx versions, started from win 8 to latest Yes I talking about locked fps and fps drops... So wish you, all luck on finishing of this great project, dege. Ty and please, help us, considering that small player base which is still active in T2 MP, would benefit from using this software, after successful resolving of this annoying bug. 😀

Hi!
Thanks for the report. It's cool dgVoodoo2 works fine for you in general. 😀
I can't test Turok2 at the moment but I'll have a look. Back when I tested it with Glide rendering, it worked without a problem (but can't remember if I tried the game with DX wrapping).

tgomola wrote:

Dege, is there any chance that you implement DX8 wrapping to dgVoodoo 2?

Well, I didn't want to speak about this, but once you asked 😀 : I plan to support it some day, an empty frame with minimal functionality is ready already but it's far from an usable state.

BTW, doesn't a DX8->DX9 wrapper help with Optimus?

---

Meanwhile I'm ready with the prototype of the internal display output scaling (scaling with aspect ratio). But, I don't really like it. As I guessed before, it introduces other problems.
The physical resolution is always set to the native one in this case which means that application window won't cover all of the monitor area. So, it has a good chance that apps relying on mouse input won't work properly. You can easily click outside of the app window accidentally, you can move the mouse cursor to the blank area, etc. Forcing stretching the app window to the size of native resolution is not a solution by itself.
It's an issue that can be handled "perfectly" only on driver/GPU/monitor side. 🙁

Reply 1062 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:

Dege, is there any chance that you implement DX8 wrapping to dgVoodoo 2? This might come in handy to some people. There is a nasty bug in Windows 10 installed on laptops with Nvidia Optimus technology that makes the games run on integrated graphics instead on GeForce: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3733

Intel GPUs and drivers are MORE legacy-compliant than NVidia and AMD optimized one. So D38D games on Intel VGA is not a totally bad thing, if you got a recent Intel CPU(+GPU).

The real problem is: why NOT on desktop machines too, NVidia, why NOT! Optimus on desktop PCs would be great.

Reply 1063 of 3949, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Intel GPUs and drivers are MORE legacy-compliant than NVidia and AMD optimized one. So D38D games on Intel VGA is not a totally bad thing, if you got a recent Intel CPU(+GPU).

Believe me, it IS a bad thing. There are some bugs specific to Intel, like flickering textures in NFS Hot Pursuit 2, and frame rate in Colin McRae Rally 2 is really bad, at least on Intel HD 4600.

Dege wrote:

BTW, doesn't a DX8->DX9 wrapper help with Optimus?

In most cases it does, but not always - sometimes a game refuses to work with it.

Reply 1064 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:

Believe me, it IS a bad thing. There are some bugs specific to Intel, like flickering textures in NFS Hot Pursuit 2, and frame rate in Colin McRae Rally 2 is really bad, at least on Intel HD 4600.

So we must kick Intel's support team door 😁
But in my experience the Intel HW is more compliant to legacy: it still supports dithering:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4967791&postcount=4

Reply 1065 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, Fallout: Tactics will not run without forcing windowed mode via the dgVoodoo2 setup utility using dgVoodoo2 2.45, always giving the following error:

C:\dev\phoenix\display\win32\win32_window.cpp(873): **fatal error**: Could not create display buffers

This is also followed by what seems to be a standard "abnormal termination" handler message for Microsoft Visual C++:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: D:\GOG Games\Fallout Tactics\BOS.exe

abnormal program termination

Next, it would seem Windows 10's version of Windows Defender (possibly all other versions), has erroneously identified dgVoodoo2's setup program as a trojan, specifically Win32/Pocyx.F!plock, with the most recent definition update. I was only able to get it back after a bit of effort. Might need to contact the Windows Defender people and get it on the whitelist. 😀

Reply 1066 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote:
First, Fallout: Tactics will not run without forcing windowed mode via the dgVoodoo2 setup utility using dgVoodoo2 2.45, always […]
Show full quote

First, Fallout: Tactics will not run without forcing windowed mode via the dgVoodoo2 setup utility using dgVoodoo2 2.45, always giving the following error:

C:\dev\phoenix\display\win32\win32_window.cpp(873): **fatal error**: Could not create display buffers

This is also followed by what seems to be a standard "abnormal termination" handler message for Microsoft Visual C++:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: D:\GOG Games\Fallout Tactics\BOS.exe

abnormal program termination

I'm going to fix these 'failed to create' bugs. I've tested a lot of scene demos recently and already found some bugs and ddraw1 incompatibilities.

Expack3 wrote:

Next, it would seem Windows 10's version of Windows Defender (possibly all other versions), has erroneously identified dgVoodoo2's setup program as a trojan, specifically Win32/Pocyx.F!plock, with the most recent definition update. I was only able to get it back after a bit of effort. Might need to contact the Windows Defender people and get it on the whitelist. 😀

Even if dgVoodoo wasn't mpress-compressed, antiviruses would still recognize it as malware because the lack of msvc crt dependency.

Reply 1067 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just another quick report.

Tender Loving Care (Windows DVD-ROM version):
This FMV game does not work on Windows 10 (or 8 I'd assume) due to graphic corruption in the game sections. Those work dgVoodoo, however, the bulk of the video plays back using MCI I believe (and in a separate, overlayed window unless an option is changed in the game's ini), and just displays as a small white window. Would I be right in thinking that's due to the lack of GDI hooking?

Reply 1068 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote:
I think nobody uses 32 bit operating system on modern hw. dgVoodoo2 needs modern hw so, I don't see any point to port DOS commun […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:
I think this has been asked already but will any of the previous dgVoodoo 1 features ever return for dgVoodoo 2? Or are they jus […]
Show full quote

I think this has been asked already but will any of the previous dgVoodoo 1 features ever return for dgVoodoo 2? Or are they just too old?
- 32-bit NTVDM support from glide.ovl / glide2x.ovl / glide3x(?).ovl to Glide.dll / Glide2x.dll / Glide3x.dll
- dgvesa
- others?

Or else will it be possible to use dgVoodoo 1 with dgVoodoo 2's DLL files? 😀

I think nobody uses 32 bit operating system on modern hw. dgVoodoo2 needs modern hw so, I don't see any point to port DOS communication from dgVoodoo1. (Also, changing the diplay driver model to WDDM from XPDM, MS also dropped basic VGA emulation in Win Vista so not only dgVesa should be implemented but an additional VGA emulation. 🙁 )
So dgVoodoo2 needs modern gpu with DX11 that's why it couldn't be backported to 98/XP (to use with 1.x ovl).
Everyone uses DosBox now, that's the new NTVDM.
Other? I don't think dgVoodoo1.x had any other interesting feature, AFAIR.

Interesting, I just found evidence of a prebuilt Glide3x.ovl.

It's included with Quantum3D Obsidian2 90/200SB V5P (Professional Series Boards) - DirectX5 Driver, Release 5P
and Quantum3D Obsidian2 90/200SB V5.1P (Professional Series Boards) - DirectX5 Driver, Release 5.1P
See: http://falconfly.de/quantum.htm
Mention of it here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/downloads/ … UsersManual.pdf

My assumption is that it is card-specific, and AFAIK I do not think there are any test binaries (a Glide3 using DOS application compiled with Watcom).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1069 of 3949, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is a Voodoo 2 specific library (glide3x.ovl) for Dos, but it should be possible to build glide2x.ovl and glide3x.ovl, whether for Voodoo1, 2 or 3, from source code with the Watcom C compiler.

The test binaries would be the demos that are included with the glide source code. These should also build with the Watcom C compiler.

Kekko's Voodoo emulation patch is a wrapper of a sort which maps many Voodoo functions to the opengl commands. I have not tested whether the existing glide wrappers support glide3 commands, however.

Reply 1070 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silanda wrote:

Just another quick report.

Tender Loving Care (Windows DVD-ROM version):
This FMV game does not work on Windows 10 (or 8 I'd assume) due to graphic corruption in the game sections. Those work dgVoodoo, however, the bulk of the video plays back using MCI I believe (and in a separate, overlayed window unless an option is changed in the game's ini), and just displays as a small white window. Would I be right in thinking that's due to the lack of GDI hooking?

That sounds like something dgVoodoo 2 may never be able to do properly - see this post for a similar issue.

In the meantime, have you tried the following settings for the game (using the dgVoodooSetup application)?:

DirectX tab: "Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state" unchecked.
General tab: "Windowed" option in the "Appearance" section selected.

If a game has video which dgVoodoo2 can (currently) support, forcing a windowed state usually fixes the problem.

Reply 1071 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Expack3 wrote:
That sounds like something dgVoodoo 2 may never be able to do properly - see this post for a similar issue. […]
Show full quote

That sounds like something dgVoodoo 2 may never be able to do properly - see this post for a similar issue.

In the meantime, have you tried the following settings for the game (using the dgVoodooSetup application)?:

DirectX tab: "Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state" unchecked.
General tab: "Windowed" option in the "Appearance" section selected.

If a game has video which dgVoodoo2 can (currently) support, forcing a windowed state usually fixes the problem.

Tried that but it doesn't work. I'm not entirely if sure the problem is the same as the one you're referring to, but I think I described things badly. As far as I can tell, the game window is inactive whenever video is being displayed, and the game simply switches between Windows. In this case, the video just ends up blank.

If it is the same problem that you linked too, then that kind of sucks. Maybe SCUMMVM will eventually support it. FWIW, DXGL fares even worse (same white window for video but doesn't display the game window), and DXWND crashes the game.

Reply 1072 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried the latest version (2.45) with Drakan: Order of the Flame along with my own AiO Patch for the game and it works fantastically for the most part. It resolves all compatibility issues the game has with Desktop Window Manager in newer Windows versions (8, 8.1, 10) and also doubles the performance. The only strange things are, the game responds to keyboard input when minimized and sometimes, when tabbing out, all other windows on desktop, minimized or not, will be shrinked and moved to the upper-left corner of the screen.

BTW, Windows blocks Alt-Tab combination by default for Drakan, there is a registry hack to disable that behavior, which can also be done using Compatibility Administrator, which is part of Windows ADK. AiO Patch also makes alt-tabbing out of the game more usable, as without it, it looses the connection to the multiplayer server when playing online.

Reply 1075 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Nvidia aspect ratio override isn't working as of the latest drivers. So right now it's not possible to run games in their native aspect ratio on Nvidia hardware either 😠

It works fine for me, just played Outlaws in 4:3 with Direct3D (Not using dgVoodoo)

Reply 1076 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Nvidia aspect ratio override isn't working as of the latest drivers. So right now it's not possible to run games in their native aspect ratio on Nvidia hardware either 😠

It works fine for me, just played Outlaws in 4:3 with Direct3D (Not using dgVoodoo)

I'm talking about the override. D3D11 applications specify how they want to be scaled (and the API doesn't seem to allow 4:3 scaling) and Nvidia has an override for that to use Nvidia's own scaling.

It's faulty in the latest version. It only really matters to D3D11 applications that are 4:3.

Reply 1077 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I'm talking about the override. D3D11 applications specify how they want to be scaled (and the API doesn't seem to allow 4:3 scaling) and Nvidia has an override for that to use Nvidia's own scaling.

It's faulty in the latest version. It only really matters to D3D11 applications that are 4:3.

Ah, didn't know.

Reply 1078 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Or 16:10

Let me test.