VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1460 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glurak wrote:

Hi i use this Wrapper to Play Omikron - The Nomad Sky but i cant remove the Watermark of dgVoodoo. If i uncheck it it will be still there. i use version 2.5 is this a bug? I woul love to do a lets play but the watermark is not good for something like that ^^

Put dgVoodooSetup into the game directory. Click the ".\" button to add the game directory. Everytime you change settings make sure you select the game directory from the dropdown list first.

Reply 1463 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
teleguy wrote:
Glurak wrote:

Hi i use this Wrapper to Play Omikron - The Nomad Sky but i cant remove the Watermark of dgVoodoo. If i uncheck it it will be still there. i use version 2.5 is this a bug? I woul love to do a lets play but the watermark is not good for something like that ^^

Put dgVoodooSetup into the game directory. Click the ".\" button to add the game directory. Everytime you change settings make sure you select the game directory from the dropdown list first.

Also make sure you're running the game and the configuration tool with the same compatibility modes, as to not run into file/registry virtualization problems.

Reply 1465 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Glurak wrote:

just a question is it maybe possible that this wrapper can run Dungeon Keeper with the Direct 3D Patch?

The D3D exe won't run on 64-bit OS (probably uses 16-bit code?) so you'll probably have to test yourself (very few run 32-bit OS on D3D11 capable computers).

That said, when it's not running under a 64-bit OS, you really don't want it on a modern computer anyway. KeeperFX is a better option if you want a more visually appealing Dungeon Keeper.

Reply 1466 of 3949, by Talthos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having difficulty configuring this app to work with Homeworld: Cataclysm. All attempted configurations produce the same outcome: Launching the game brings me to the main menu, which works for about 1-2 seconds, then the video driver stops responding and restarts itself, forcing me to alt-tab and force-close the game through the Task Manager.

If I'm not fast enough with the alt-tab and force-close, the video driver repeatedly goes unresponsive, restart, unresponsive, restart. And, during the entire process, all graphical elements are garbled and blocky, making navigation all but impossible.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I can provide additional hardware spec details and/or running software if necessary.

Reply 1467 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Abysmal wrote:

Fighting dgVoodoo to maintain the correct 4:3 aspect ratio is an absolute nightmare that I've spent the better part of a day getting nowhere with on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with Iris Pro 5200 graphics. The Intel control panel is very clearly marked "Maintain Aspect Ratio". Changing to 4:3 resolutions in any game when not using dgVoodoo maintains the aspect ratio as expected. But no matter what I try, every trick I've thrown at it, dgVoodoo always, always, ALWAYS stretches the game. For some reason only dgVoodoo switches the Intel control panel option to "Scale Full Screen" when changing the resolution and I have no idea why. I sort of can fix it and force it back with the intel Ctrl+Alt+F11 hotkey to cycle between scaling modes, but this is a gamble that throws me back to the desktop and crashes the game half the time.

I was so impressed with this tool but I have to give up on it; the aspect ratio problem is a huge dealbreaker.

Isn't there an option on the driver control panel to override application scaling settings?
I know nVidia has, ATI doesn't (if I'm right), but have no clue about Intel.
Yes, it all is a disaster, but it's by design by MS. Maybe I should have made the internal aspect-ratio-scaling mode accessible in the latest release for experimenting.
(The display is ok with that but it needs some mouse emulation that's why I ditched temporarily. I'd like to address this issue too.)

Tafferwocky wrote:
Dege wrote:

OK, I've just did a quick test on this game and indeed, I got a black screen too. It must be a bug in the wrapper, I'll try to fix it in the next version.

Thanks, Dege!

This game drives DDraw in a total unexpected (nonstandard) way that's why black screen comes. But I've added a technique to the wrapper so now it works. This was also an old issue I wanted to deal with.

Glurak wrote:

just a question is it maybe possible that this wrapper can run Dungeon Keeper with the Direct 3D Patch?

Hmm... it was a long ago I tried to make it work but without success, it had several issues. So, I think not, unfortunately.

Talthos wrote:

I'm having difficulty configuring this app to work with Homeworld: Cataclysm. All attempted configurations produce the same outcome: Launching the game brings me to the main menu, which works for about 1-2 seconds, then the video driver stops responding and restarts itself, forcing me to alt-tab and force-close the game through the Task Manager.

If I'm not fast enough with the alt-tab and force-close, the video driver repeatedly goes unresponsive, restart, unresponsive, restart. And, during the entire process, all graphical elements are garbled and blocky, making navigation all but impossible.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I can provide additional hardware spec details and/or running software if necessary.

I'm going to try that game myself.
Does it use Glide? And you have an ATI HD7xxxx or R9?

Reply 1469 of 3949, by Talthos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cataclysm had 3dfx support back in its day, if that's what you're asking. Official documentation exists both online and in the Readme files included with a Cataclysm installation.

ATI? No. AMD? Yes. Radeon HD 7750 Double Black Diamond OC.

AMD's most recent Crimson Drivers introduced a bunch of compatibility or stability problems with a few other games I play, so I'm currently using the last version of CCC. Not sure if that would influence the problem, but I figured that I would mention it for the sake of completeness.

Need any additional info?

Reply 1470 of 3949, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Homeworld: Cataclysm (and Homeworld) not have the native glide support. They use "minigl" glide support (with 3dfxogl.dll).
Unfortunately it works only is you set the WinNT4SP5VersionLie ACT fix...
P.S. Homeworld: Cataclysm uses Securom. IIRC Win10 isn't compatible with this protection.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 1472 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Talthos wrote:
Cataclysm had 3dfx support back in its day, if that's what you're asking. Official documentation exists both online and in the R […]
Show full quote

Cataclysm had 3dfx support back in its day, if that's what you're asking. Official documentation exists both online and in the Readme files included with a Cataclysm installation.

ATI? No. AMD? Yes. Radeon HD 7750 Double Black Diamond OC.

AMD's most recent Crimson Drivers introduced a bunch of compatibility or stability problems with a few other games I play, so I'm currently using the last version of CCC. Not sure if that would influence the problem, but I figured that I would mention it for the sake of completeness.

Need any additional info?

Ok, thanks.
I checked this game with dgVoodoo and the menu screen was blocky updated through minigl, indeed.
It worked fine through software (DDraw) and D3D hw mode though.

The bad news is dgVoodoo Glide is not compatible with Radeon 7xxx and R9 series for some reason. Their drivers don't like something that dgVoodoo does that's why your driver crashes.

Stiletto wrote:
Talthos wrote:

ATI? No. AMD? Yes.

Man, I'll probably still be calling Radeons ATI cards until my dying day. 🤣

Me too. 😀

Reply 1473 of 3949, by Talthos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P.S. Homeworld: Cataclysm uses Securom. IIRC Win10 isn't compatible with this protection.

...This point is irrelevant, since I had already stated that I use Windows 7. (Compatibility with older games helps keep me from upgrading)

Their drivers don't like something that dgVoodoo does that's why your driver crashes.

Which driver are you using? I tested with and am currently using Catalyst 15.10 Beta. (I'm not touching the Crimson drivers again for the time being)

Man, I'll probably still be calling Radeons ATI cards until my dying day. 🤣

I'm old enough to remember when they were called ATI, and the Radeon name predates the ATI merger with AMD.

And if I were dealing with a pre-merger ATI card, I'd be referring to it as such.

On a side note, I'm not terribly familiar with Glide, or what it entails in its entirety. My only experience with the name is dealing with Glide 'Wrappers', to emulate older GPU features that don't exist in newer hardware.

Reply 1474 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Talthos wrote:

On a side note, I'm not terribly familiar with Glide, or what it entails in its entirety. My only experience with the name is dealing with Glide 'Wrappers', to emulate older GPU features that don't exist in newer hardware.

Ah. Think of it as "Direct3D or OpenGL, but only compatible with one family of videocards (3dfx)". There's some generic info about it on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glide_API
Basically, 3dfx Glide's featureset and performance on 3dfx cards were ahead of Direct3D/OpenGL's ability to do the same generically across all 3D graphics cards.

Glide was not the only proprietary 3D application programming interface, there were several others for other cards, Glide was merely the most popular due to the 3dfx Voodoo cards popularity. vetz has a good thread breaking down all the OTHER proprietary 3D API games.
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

(A list of all Glide games would be massive. nGlide's compatibility list gives it a shot: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility )

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1475 of 3949, by Talthos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, D3D hw mode checks out alright. Now, for the next problem I'm just noticing: The inability for dgvoodoo to respect my 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' setting in the Catalyst Control Center. And yes, I made sure that dgvoodoo's scaling mode is set to 'Unspecified' during all testing.

Quick searches only seem to show solutions for NVIDIA cards. Which leaves me rather stuck, seeing as I'm using an AMD card with Catalyst drivers.

I've tested with 'Enable GPU Scaling' both enabled and disabled, with the same result: dgvoodoo still forces the game to scale the entire image to the full size, which introduces that awful 'stretching' effect.

Any suggestions on possible fixes?

Reply 1476 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Talthos wrote:

Their drivers don't like something that dgVoodoo does that's why your driver crashes.

Which driver are you using? I tested with and am currently using Catalyst 15.10 Beta. (I'm not touching the Crimson drivers again for the time being)

I'm using nVidia, though I have a low-end AMD HD6450 for testing occassionally. But this AMD thing is an old issue, see:

Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

I even reported the bug to AMD twice, along with a simple repro app attached (got no any respond and saw no progression later, of course).
Since dynamic shader compiling introduced in 2.5 doesn't solve the problem (as opposed to my hopes), the only way seems to be getting such an AMD card in question, checking the problem myself and finding a workaround for the driver bug (ahh, how I hate workarounding bad codes...), if possible.

Talthos wrote:
Well, D3D hw mode checks out alright. Now, for the next problem I'm just noticing: The inability for dgvoodoo to respect my 'Mai […]
Show full quote

Well, D3D hw mode checks out alright. Now, for the next problem I'm just noticing: The inability for dgvoodoo to respect my 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' setting in the Catalyst Control Center. And yes, I made sure that dgvoodoo's scaling mode is set to 'Unspecified' during all testing.

Quick searches only seem to show solutions for NVIDIA cards. Which leaves me rather stuck, seeing as I'm using an AMD card with Catalyst drivers.

I've tested with 'Enable GPU Scaling' both enabled and disabled, with the same result: dgvoodoo still forces the game to scale the entire image to the full size, which introduces that awful 'stretching' effect.

Any suggestions on possible fixes?

AMD has no 'override application scaling setting' on its control panel, so there is no soultion for the current dgVoodoo version, I think.
I'm going to address somehow this issue in the next version because it all is a disaster, a solution is sorely needed.

Reply 1479 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gulikoza wrote:

I have HD7950...is there anything I can do to help you debug the problem?

The only way proved to be checking/debugging it by myself with such a card in question.
I'm planning to get a HD7730 for that purpose. I hope dgVoodoo crashes on that. 😀